Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #151
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey manwarren View Post
...Dodge Dakota. ... I ordered an AC Delco pump and it came with a carter pump in the box ...
And somebody else got an AC Delco pump in a Carter box, for the price of a Carter pump! No doubt what happened there
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #152
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvons View Post
You know, I get your point. But I guess you don't get mine. I did what you are saying to do. It's been three years with the Airtex pump. I also have a '98 Pontiac Montana. The fuel guage went out on it also. So I thought to myself, hmmm, I will order the a new fuel level sending unit and have it on hand. So I dropped the tank and pulled the pump assembly out and replaced the sender unit and put it all back in again. Been working ever since. Still the original Fuel pump with 178K miles on it. I agree that OEM is the best. Car manufacturers have their reputation on the line. But sometimes, due to the overall circumstances, it is easier/cheaper/smarter to go with what is available at the time you need it. In my case, my car was hanging halfway out of my garage on jack stands. I needed to get it together and I could NOT get an AC Delco pump for it that day. Now with all the talk about AC Delco pumps not even being AC Delco pumps, I really have my doubts.
No Sir, I do get your point. An “Emergency” to you may not be an “Emergency” to someone else. If the facts dictate that you absolutely cannot wait, and you’re are willing to gamble with an Airtex, Roll the Dice.

I want the members of this Forum to make a conscious decision with facts before making a mistake like I did.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #153
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

So, Here are a few facts.
1. There are quite a few Professional Mechanics on this Forum that have all posted replies about the poor quality of Airtex Fuel Pumps in not only the GM Vortec engines, but Chrysler products, and Fords as well. We have seen a number of posts from these Professional Mechanics and Garage owners that refuse to install Airtex Fuel Pumps because of their pre-mature failure rate. Some Professional Members have claimed that they have had defective Airtex Fuel pumps right out of the box.

2. We have seen a ton of posts claiming all sorts of statistics on how AC-Delco, Carter, Delphi, Bosch, etc. had a boat-load of failures in their pumps years ago, or how a Step Mother’s boyfriend’s cousin three times removed had a bad fuel pump 20 years ago. But I have yet to see where a Member has posted a pre-mature Failure of an AC-Delco Fuel Pump in an S10 Blazer, Jimmy or Sonoma. To the best of my knowledge, all of the reported OEM AC-Delco Fuel Pump failures had high mileage and high lengths of service in years, not months. In my specific case, my OEM AC-Delco Fuel Pump in my 2000 GMC Jimmy failed in 2007 at 105K miles, and I am 100% convinced that it was due to a plugged Fuel Filter that I neglected to change.

3. There are numerous complaints regarding the Quality of Airtex Fuel Pumps, of which are not all complaints that the pumps stopped pumping fuel. Insufficient pressure, excessive leakdown, noisy bushings, faulty fuel level sending units, loose hoses and fittings, etc. are also contributors to the overall poor quality of their product.

4. The cost of Airtex vs. AC-Delco Fuel pumps is usually within $50 - $75 of each other depending upon the Make, Model, Year, etc. The one and only advantage of an Airtex pump is the initial over-the-counter cost. They are cheaper than other manufacturers Pumps.

5. We have only seen a small number of Forum Members claiming to have success with an Airtex Fuel Pump, and almost none of these vehicles were S10 Blazers, Jimmy’s or Sonoma’s with Vortec engines.

6. The Members that do respond in defense of Airtex, either Professional Mechanics or Do-it Yourself Mechanics, have either never installed one into their own vehicle and/or will rarely admit their success/failure rates with Airtex Fuel Pumps. In fairness, there have been a few rare posts claiming good luck with Airtex pumps.

7. Most of the Posts in this Thread in defense of Airtex are Smoke Screens, citing everything from Look-alikes, to Market Share (the bigger the market share, the more “acceptable” defects), to Made in the USA vs. not, to statistics from God only knows where, about Bad Pumps from a host of other Manufacturers, all to show or claim that Airtex isn’t any worse than the rest of the Pack. This has nothing to do with the Quality of Airtex Fuel Pumps; two wrongs don’t make a right.

8. The purpose of this Forum, and the purpose of this Thread, is to share information with other mechanics so we can help and advise each other, learn from each other’s mistakes, and make recommendations for the successful repair and operation of our vehicles. I started this Thread because of my personal experiences with Airtex Fuel Pumps. If you have similar issues with some other Fuel Pump Manufacturer, please feel free to start a new Thread.
AIRTEX FUEL PUMPS - BUYER BEWARE!
4x4 Mega Fan (09-24-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #154
harvey manwarren
AF Newbie

repeat failures even when using the most expensive replacement Delco parts. ON 1996 to 2003 GM,S

Failure to replace the electrical connector on the harness side can cause voltage spikes across the new fuel pump. Over time this can damage the PUMPS
harvey manwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #155
harvey manwarren
AF Newbie

my new airtex pump 5 months old starting making a noise . 2 weeks ago . now i have to turn the key on and off to get it start working . new filter and tank cleaned when put in too. --
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #156
harvey manwarren
AF Newbie

Quote:
my new airtex pump 5 months old starting making a noise . 2 weeks ago . now i have to turn the key on and off to get it start working . new filter and tank cleaned when put in too. --
2000 dodge caravan airtex
pump failed
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #157
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
stay away from the AIRTEX !!!

I would not use those pumps even if they gave me one for free , and they payed me to install it .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #158
02dodge
AF Newbie

Just found out that my mechanic put the Airtex fuel pump in my 02 dodge diesel. I have been having fuel gauge issues so I took the sending unit out went to dodge got replacement then found out it wont fit. This how I learned I have one of these airtex pumps. like you all have said it lasted just a little over a year. went out. so I had the pump replaced with a FASS system.
02dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #159
Airteck
AF Newbie

HELLO GUYS
I JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE
KNOW TOO I STOPPED USING AIRTEK
PUMPS TOO.
Installed one in a old toyota
New fuel filter
New fuel lines
New airtec pump
Only lasted 3 months
And I called a machanic when new one failed and the first thing he asked me if it was a airtec?
Long story short
I agree with most of you !
DO NOT USE AIRTEC PRODUCTS
UNLESS YOU LIKE REPLACING PARTS YOU JUST INSTALLED😜
Airteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #160
po90260
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Pumps

Some people talk about getting a couple years on a fuel pump like that is good. For the record: I've never had an original Toyota fuel pump fail on me. I had a 1990 Camry for 20 years and I'm still driving a 1997 Camry.

Now I'm looking for one for a 93 Volvo so I'm trying to find a decent inexpensive brand. eBay has $29 ones which might be no worse than named brands. Who knows?
po90260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #161
harvey manwarren
AF Newbie

i put a junk pump in from ebay lasted 8 days - the next junk airtex one made in usa - made all kind load sounds - didn't trust it at all.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #162
harvey manwarren
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by po90260 View Post
some people talk about getting a couple years on a fuel pump like that is good. For the record: I've never had an original toyota fuel pump fail on me. I had a 1990 camry for 20 years and i'm still driving a 1997 camry.

Now i'm looking for one for a 93 volvo so i'm trying to find a decent inexpensive brand. Ebay has $29 ones which might be no worse than named brands. Who knows?
just don't go out of town with it ---junk city cheap shit
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #163
tontorodreges
AF Newbie

I have a 96 GMC Sonoma (bought it new) and the repacement fuel pump I bought 7 years ago went out. I know the shop used an Airtex pump with a lifetime warranty because I remember the warranty was the only thing that made the cost palatable. Now it appears no one (the shop/manufacturer/ or distributer) is agreeing to back that warranty. I refuse on principle to pay for a part that I shouldn't have to. Do I need to call the corporate office of the parts store that supplied the pump? I fully expect to have to swallow the labor and towing costs. Does anyone have any suggestions?
tontorodreges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #164
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontorodreges View Post
I have a 96 GMC Sonoma (bought it new) and the repacement fuel pump I bought 7 years ago went out. I know the shop used an Airtex pump with a lifetime warranty because I remember the warranty was the only thing that made the cost palatable. Now it appears no one (the shop/manufacturer/ or distributor) is agreeing to back that warranty. I refuse on principle to pay for a part that I shouldn't have to. Do I need to call the corporate office of the parts store that supplied the pump? I fully expect to have to swallow the labor and towing costs. Does anyone have any suggestions?
you have paper work stating this was a lifetime warranty ? the shop just told you lifetime or your work receipt states this warranty ? If this was just a verbal warranty that the shop made , then you have no legal case against them. I would use the local internet sites that have this shop listed and make a statement about how they lied to you to get the repair work. If this is an airtex pump, I would say you are lucky to get 7 years.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #165
4x4 Mega Fan
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

I have replaced the fuel pump for my truck and my wife's car. The biggest tip I was given is then make sure you clean the fuel tank after you drop it. Most people replace the fuel pump and don't bother to clean the tank. After driving it for many years, dirt and gunk can get in there and will make it hard on the fuel pump. If you can, replace the filter every year too.

I haven't had a bad experience with an Airtex pump, but I prefer Suuperb fuel pumps. I buy them from Amazon and the quality, in my opinion, is better than Delphi or AC Delco. Last time order messed up and ordered the wrong part, I called up their support team and they were able to get the right part shipped to me fast.

Does anyone else use Suuperb fuel pumps?
4x4 Mega Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info