Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
Bryan Burkhalter
AF Newbie

Re: Performance mods that DO work

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy(2wd). 121K miles on it. My question(s) are specific to my vehicle, as most of the answers I've found on the internet are generalized for models ranging from 96-01 or 99-03, etc. etc.. Fact or opinion are acceptable answers/inputs. I'm just trying to get an idea from other Jimmy owners or those in the know about these modifications as to how they could possibley affect performance. My list is fairly short and simple, and I am a low budget modifier until someone gets George W. to up the military paycheck

Underdrive pulley set (about as expensive as I can get)
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/JET90105.htm

Cold air intake. Have researched this site, and will probably go with a less expensive, generic type.

Lubricating rear leafs. Going to look for some graphite or teflon spray lube tomorrow for this.

Spark plugs/wires. Not sure if this is worth the money yet.

Riser plate. Will this work for the 2000 year model? I'm a bit slow, and was slightly confused whether or not this mod included my year model.

Oil change. Going to use the Dyno synthetic as suggested. Will include checking differential for proper lube as well.

Fuel filter. Engine is not running rough at all, but I'm thinking this couldn't hurt.

These things seem simple enough, but I'm a very anal person and want to know everything I can and from every angle before I get started on these. Again, and inputs/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan Burkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
thebeastjuggalo
AF Newbie

for the pulleys, that price is not worth it,
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=ASP%2D541084&N=700+42 94908171+4294908164+4294924666+4294840129+42948199 90+4294925232+4294839035+115&autoview=sku
there are some good ones for about $50 less

the intake you would be better off gettin one off ebay or somthing, same performance for way less money

it wont really be worth upgrading to platinum plugs and better wires unless your also gonna go with a high output coil also

and i dont believe the riser plate was made for 2000

*new ride*2004 pontiac sunfire
PERFORMANCE: K&N typhoon intake, b&m shift plus, copper springs for plug boots, lightweight (3oz) alt pulley, thats all for "now"

thebeastjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Blazer SS
AF Regular

The one thing that I really Hate !! I mean Hate !! Shops that rip you off ! The tip off ! Not giving you a set price !

I got a second set off Y pipes built with a wideband bung and provisions for a high flow CAT. Done in stainless. They are beautiful . But they ended up costing me 370.00 . The problem . You really need them. Well only the true performance people do. Don't spend the money if you plan on not doing the other mods that are in this thread. Or don't take care of your Blazer and then complain when things wear out.

Enjoy the Blazer and the v6, this much maligned engine is now beeing recognized for the true baby power factory that it can become.
Blazer SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #19
Wags391
10-year Owner

Where can I find an open element air cleaner assembly for a 92 TBI S10? Most assemblies I find are for carbs.
Wags391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #20
Blazer SS
AF Regular

You know, torque gets you off the line. Horespower keeps you there. Having high HP numbers looks great on paper, what looks even better is high torque numbers. There is no one thing that you can put on your engine that will give you instant gratification Well (nitrous) short lived but fun. The rest need combinations. A CAI needs exhaust, Spark plugs need wires ,distibutor,cap rotor,coil. Underdrive pulleys need belts. The moral . DON'T EXPECT ADDING A CAI BY ITSELF WILL NOT HAVE YOU RACING CORVETTS!! TAKE YOUR TIME! DO THINGS RIGHT! IT WILL COME.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
Blazer SS
AF Regular

When was the last time that you have checked your air pressure in your tires? Tires are key to performance. SO ARE BRAKES !! I know that I already talked about checking your rear brakes. But, I just helped a guy work on his back brakes . The pins were stuck in the carrier and nothing that I did would make them come out. Blow torch. wrench. wouldn't even twist!! We brought new rear carriers. And installed them. MPG went up . Performance went up. And handling went up. He was very happy with his truck. said it drove like a completely different Blazer. He went from hating his truck to wanting to keep it and make it better . Performance could be found in the least likely places ! 4 caliper pins ! 4 pins ! was robbing this guy of a better performing truck !

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rent=013-1.flv
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Yes brakes are offten overlooked. Calipers may not fully release and the pads drag. You yourself should be able to push and pull your truck on a flat surface with the trans in neutral and the e-brake off. Something else that happens is the metal clips on the front pads break off, get caught, and they dig into the rotor causing performance and braking problems. Replace them with stainless steal ones, problem solved.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
JimmyRiggin'
AF Newbie

Vehicle: 1996 GMC Jimmy SLS 4.3L Vortec.
Mods that work:
knN High flow air filter (I suggest keeping the stock intake box, unless you like having a dirty high flow filter all the time.)

Gibson stainless side swept exhaust (it just kicks your ass)

Magnaflow High flow cat. (replaces the stock restrictive one)

Power-aid Throttle body spacer (I dont care what anyone says, I have seen signifigant mpg and mid range power gains from this spacer) it even whistles like a turbo to let you know it's working. Had it on for over two years now and it's still going strong.

Complete clean (get it dipped)/re-machined intake manifold with new Fel pro gaskets. (the stock gaskets, especially on the manifold are complete crap, don't be suprised when they blow out)

- I am currently about to install a new aftermarket ingnition coil/module so I will post on that.
JimmyRiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
Bryan Burkhalter
AF Newbie

I have since installed a K&N intake and Flowmaster Super 40 exhaust(sounds amazing!) Am currently looking at coil/ignition/plug wires/plugs. I want to go out tomorrow or saturday to pick these up, only i'm finding it difficult to get the "warm fuzzy" that the items i'm looking at are compatible with my truck.

I was looking at the:
http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blas..._8202_8223.htm for my coil.

Also looking at the :
http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_1_5900.htm for an ignition.

Was thinking of going with Accel or Taylor 8mm wires, but still a bit unsure as i haven't looked into them too thoroughly. Is there anything specific you can think of that I should keep in mind when looking at wires? Also, what plugs would you reccommend? Like every man, I would like to feel the performance difference, but ultimately I would be happier with a boost to my MPG's. I definately don't want to do anything that would give me less economy than what I currently get, but staying the same wouldn't be so bad if I could actually feel the difference in driving.

As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated!

I haven't been able to find a listing anywhere to make sure these will work on my truck. They may be fairly universal, but I don't buy anything for my truck unless i'm 100% certain it will fit right. If you know they will apply, please let me know.
Bryan Burkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #25
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Stay away from MSD coils and Accell wires. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Go with an Accell coil and Taylor 8.2 wires. For an ignition box, most use MSD 6A or 6AL. I will be installing a 6AL on mine. If you use the MSD harness PN 8877 its a direct plug and play inatall. After you are finished with all of the bolt on parts you want to use, get a tuned pcm from wait4me performance or pcmforless to maximize the performance and fuel economy.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
rednaxela_03
AF Newbie

What is the TPS voltage drop mod and how is it done?
rednaxela_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #27
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

The mod is done by enlarging the mounting holes on the TPS and rotating it to were the voltage is lower. It can't be physically done on all 4.3's and you need to be carefull not to damage the sensor. I did this mod on my old 95. On a 4.3 a drop to 4.3 volts is a good number. If your not conserned with performance, the lower voltage will lower the amount of fuel used for the given TP and can improve economy slightly.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 06-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
rednaxela_03
AF Newbie

I did the throttle plate mod and now i have a check engine code do i need to remove the neg cable for 15 mins to reset and let the truck relearn conditions?

when i removed the restrictor piece it let two new holes where it was mounted.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #29
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednaxela_03
I did the throttle plate mod and now i have a check engine code do i need to remove the neg cable for 15 mins to reset and let the truck relearn conditions?

when i removed the restrictor piece it let two new holes where it was mounted.
If you did the mod by removing the diflector and the plate with rivets it was attached to, you did it wrong. If you did this and installed the plate that way with those two extra holes left open, the engine will not run correctly, idle eratically, and probably set a code and turn the SES light on. Get another TB plate and just grind the diflector off and leave that extra thin plate with rivets attached.

Low 11 sec sleeper
My Cardomain
Old 06-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #30
rednaxela_03
AF Newbie

so it is the extra air that is giving the problem?
I can put rivets in the holes and that will take care of the extra air.
thanks for the help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance