Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Interior | Exterior | Appearance
Interior | Exterior | Appearance The place for all interior, exterior and general non-performance modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
kl3vr
AF Newbie

1995 S10 Dash speaker install

Hello,

I've come across some really nice 6"x9" speakers that I thought would go nicely in my S10. When I opened up the speaker covers on my dash, I found 3.5"x6" speakers.

Does anyone know of past projects for modding the top dashboard to accept 6x9s?
Also, is "dashboard" the right name for the top panel that covers from speaker to speaker? it would help in my searches to know what these pieces are referred to as.

Thanks!
kl3vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
mixin
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 S10 Dash speaker install

I was an installer by trade for awhile - sorry to burst your bubble, but the 6x9s will not fit in the dash. Not only are they the wrong size diameter, but they will be WAY too deep. There are alot of 4x6s that are too deep to fit these trucks! If you REALLY want to use them, get a pair of 6x9 pre-fabbed carpeted boxes to mount them in and set/mount them where you want them to go.

Your best bet for a good midbass sound from the factory speaker locations is to go with a good 6.5" in the doors and run them off a small external amp (not off the deck - even if it is "50w x 4").

Good Luck!!
mixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Jmills3191
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 S10 Dash speaker install

^ He is completely correct. However, if you are just looking for better sound out of the dash, you could just replace the OEM speakers with aftermarket ones. Make sure that they have a little bit better wattage (something around 100W should suffice for your dash). Just like he said run them to an aftermarket amplifier. It doesn't have to be anything to big. I know a lot of people want to have better sound without doing to much modding or without using any extra cargo space. Hope that this was helpful. Good luck!
Jmills3191 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Interior | Exterior | Appearance