Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
wyodan59
AF Regular

speed odometer not working

Hello. This Grand am is a 4cly 4speed trans. My daughter is off to school. She called and told me her speed odometer is not working. She also mentioned that it is not shifting properly if at all. Is the speed odometer operated by cable? Would the two be related to the transmission going bad?
Thanks Dan
wyodan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: speed odometer not working

There should be a speed sensor located on the outside of the transmission. This has probably gone bad and needs replaced. It is not a hard job. Since you didn't state what year I am assuming that it is a newer car with an electronically controlled transmission. The speed sensor issue is probably why the transmission is not shifting correctly as well.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTP Dad For This Useful Post:
Tech II (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Agree......you don't say the year.....on older cars, the plastic gear of the sensor would "apple core".....could be a bad sensor....could be a bad connection at sensor....could be a damaged wire harness from the sensor to the computer....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
wyodan59
AF Regular

Sorry for the lack of info. It is a 1996. She was 200 miles away. I went and pulled it home. I got it to shift by running it hard. When it shifted it acted like it was slipping when I let off it shifted. but the speedo stilll does not work.I am assuming it is going to have the plastic gear. Is this inside the pan or can it be accessed from outside?
wyodan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The only way to know for sure is by looking at PCM data with a scan tool......you read the data from the speed sensor, and compare it to the speedometer......for example, if your scan tool reads 60 mph, and the speedometer reads zero, and you are doing 60 mph, then you have a bad cluster or open wire to it.....if the speedometer and data from the scan tool read the same, then it's the sensor, wiring, or PCM that is the problem....my guess would be the sensor or the wiring.....the sensor is located on the passenger side of the tranny, where the passenger side axle comes out....it is near the top, firewall side...you will see a harness going to it......check the harness for damage....just one bolt holds it in......pulls straight up out of the tranny...look at the gear for damage(apple coring....like someone bit the center of the apple out)....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM