Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
1997-2003 Grand Prix Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement

Hey Guys,

My GTP had an issue of clunking while turning the wheel back and forth both with the engine running and turned off. The steering wheel also seemed to shimmy back and forth when it would return to center after accellerating through a turn.

I diagnosed a failed ISS by having an assistant rapidly turn the wheels back and forth with the motor not running while I felt where the ISS connected to the Rack and Pinion. As my luck would have it, my Intermediate Steering Shaft had free play in it.

First step in removal is to jack up the front of the vehicle (Use Jackstands on the pinch welds) and remove the front drivers side wheel.

Next you will have to locate the rubber boot that covers where the ISS connects to the R&P. Once you found it, grab the rubber boot and slip it upwards towards the cab. It will slide up about 2 inches and expose the intermediate shaft and pinch bolt. Here is a picture.

Next step will be to remove the pinch bolt. It is a size 11mm. No Lies, 11mm. I think thats the first time I've ever had to use my 11mm 3/8 socket on my GTP. Once the bolt is out, you can pop the lower part of the ISS off the R&P using a large flatblade screwdrive. You shouldnt have to pry very hard. Dont break anything. Remember, you have to remove the pinch bolt and not simply loosen it. You will see why for obvious reasons once you get the ISS out.

Next step will be to go inside the cabin. At this point you have to be very carefull to not turn the steering wheel. If you must, remember which direction it was turned and turn it back that same amount. Turing it too far can and will screw up your clock spring and inhibit the use of your steering wheel controlls and disable the air bag system. I just turned the ignition off and removed the key. This locked the steering wheel in position. If you must turn it, I warned you.

Locate the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column and remove the pinch bolt here too. Same deal, 11mm, and it has to be removed. This one is sort of a pain because this rubber boot doesnt "slip" down.

This is where the job gets difficult, apparently some guys are able to just simply pop the ISS off the bottom of the steering column (thats how it says to do it in my Chiltons). I was not able to pop the ISS off the bottom of the steering shaft no matter how hard I tried. Plus I didnt want to pry aginst the plastic at the bottom with my screwdriver, so I was forced to remove the steering column in its entiraty.

To remove the steering column you have to remove the lower trim. It is pretty easy. Its held in place by two 7mm screws and then some snaps. Once that is out you need to remove the metal kick panel, knee sheild, whatever it is called. I cant quite remember, but I think there were 4 more 7mm screws, and 4 more either 13mm or 15mm bolts. Then the whole thing comes out.

Next you will have to remove the 4 bolts that secure the steering column. Two of the require a deep socket. I forgot the size. Again its either 13mm or 15mm. Once you get these four out. You can just leave the steering wheel drop down. Let it lay on the drivers seat. This will give you more room to slip out the old ISS and slip in the new one.

Once you get the steering column dropped down and the ISS disconnected from the column, the shaft should just slip out the top. Pay attention which way is up and install the new one in the exact same direction.

Not that bad huh? Same deal now except backwards. Connect the ISS to the bottom of the steering column and insert and tighten the punch bolt. The pinch bolt gets torqued to 35ft/lbs (Make sure you torque it!) Then you can put your steering column back together.

Now for the fun part NOT! Last but not least, go back under the car, and attempt to reconnect the ISS to the R&P. I worked at this for about an hour before I got frustrated. The problem is that you have about 1 inch of space in which to squeeze your hand it and align by feel the angle, bolt, and splines. Its just a major pain in the @$$. No matter what I tried, I just plain out could not get it. There is enough room, but it just would not slip far enough down to get the bolt back in.

Here was my solution. I lowered the back of the subframe about one more inch. I placed a block of wood on my floor jack, and jacked right behind the tranny pan in the center of the subframe where the frame sort of angles upwards. Once I had my jack and block of wood in place, I loosened two rear bolts and kept lowering my jack little by little untill I had enough room to pop the ISS onto the R&P. Wish I would have done this sooner. It made just enough room, and gave the perfect angle to pop the ISS back on.

Same deal as before. Once the ISS is back on the R&P, you need to insert the pinch bolt and again gets torqued to 35ft/lbs. Once that is all set to go, tighten the subframe bolts back up. They get torqued to 135ft/lbs (correct torque is crucial for your safety).

Finally slip the rubber boot back down over the lower part of the ISS, put the wheel back on (105 ft/lbs on the lug nuts) and lower the vehicle.

Here is a snapshot of the ISS once removed. It is delco part number 26057715 (courtisy of Richtazz) for a 2000 Grand Prix GTP with Variable Assist. It may or may not be different based on your application. Just FYI.

Job well done! Now you can sit back, relax, and have a cold beer.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
kenf
AF Newbie

Re: 1997-2003 Grand Prix Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement

I am amazed at reading all of the posts here about the intermediate steering shaft issues. Just an FYI for everyone that it still is not permanently fixed as of 2007. I own a 2007 Grand Prix that is within days of coming off warranty and I took the vehicle into the dealership describing the 'clunk from the front end' problem. Just got a call from the service department that they had to replace the ISS and it was done under warranty so no charge. For once I got in under the wire, but the dealership is now trying to sell me an extension to my warranty coverage. Not sure if it's worth it but it comes in different coverage levels at obviously different prices. WIll need to research it more before deciding.

Cheers,
kenf
kenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
00GTP4ME
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997-2003 Grand Prix Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement

Hey Tim, great write-up. How much is the part for this? My on-going trek to eliminate clunks and knocks has led me here. I'll check my ISS for play when I change the oil in the next day or two.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII V6 S/C
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
----------------------------------------------------
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7L V8
1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L V8
1991 Ford Probe LX 3.0 V6
1986 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L 4 cyl.
00GTP4ME is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance