Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
scarredpelt
AF Newbie

'93 Storm OH issue - I give up

Okay guys, 2 people stumped who have been around the bend a few times.
93 storm overheats pretty quickly once past normal operating temp.
1. With the cap off, the coolant comes flowing out the fill hole on start up.
2. Coolant was a nice rusty brown.
3. Replaced radiator and thermo although a test of the old thermo showed good operation.
4. No evidence of coolant loss thru the exhaust and apparently no pressurizing of the system from any other leaking. (No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.)
5. No Heat in the heater core? (It's florida so how could I tell if the 100 plus heat is from the core or from our nice florida weather?)
6. The water pump doesn't leak but it's the only thing left.

So go whole hog and change the pump out and hope that the last part thrown is the correct one or is there something else we might be overlooking. (air in the system? how to get rid of it?)
scarredpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
shinta
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Storm OH issue - I give up

you know it don't sound like the cooling system it self it sounds like the water jackets inside the motor and blocked up. my friend 93 storm had the same problem. but i would not go pulling the motor just yet, just b/c the pump dont leak don't main its not working like it should i say change it first and if that does not work. well you looking at a 300+ bill to have it dipped and milled. but if you going to do that then just rebuild the hole motor it will be cheeper in the long run.

sorry for any gammar or miss spelled words
shinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
bearcat329
AF Regular

Talking Re: '93 Storm OH issue - I give up

change out the water pump 1st, look at the circulation fins, are they still there? or have they rusted away? then flush the engine really good, and last check for flow thru the heater core
hth
Rick, Ore
bearcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Jonny Roden
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Storm OH issue - I give up

Sounds like to me that somebody at one point in time has ran block sealer through your cooling system and it has plugged your water jackets unfortunately the only thing that you can do now is tear the head off and clean out your water jackets. I speak from experience I used block sealer in my samurai it worked good for a long time but when it did start to leak again I decided to try to run the block sealer through it again. I found myself having major cooling problems like you are describing, It was running super hot and rough also when the cap was off it would shoot the coolant out. When I tore the head off to replace the head gasket my water jackets were almost completely plugged up from the block sealer. If you are going to fix this problem your going to have to pull the head off to clean your water jackets at this point I would highly recommend replacing your water pump and your timing belt as well at the same time because they are fairly inexpensive for the parts. But these take a lot of time cause you have to tear the motor down to get to them so that's why I recommend you change these out while your at it to save yourself some time and money in the future. Keep in mind if your not very familiar with working on cars, you must be very precise tearing the head off and putting it back on there is a torque patterns and torque specs that you must be followed when removing and replacing the head. If you do not follow these you might warp the head or end up not getting a good seal and have a blown head gasket.
Jonny Roden is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Storm