Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: The Iding Power V12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini magic View Post
A little small intersting point that i don't think Erik covered that also (IMO) lends to the idea that this is going in a Mac is the color of the valve cover..... it seems to be fairly close to the color of the McLaren
Actually, since you make that point, Iding Power had a connection to #016 originally, and that would have been around the time this engine's development was started. To me those valve covers look to be a better match for that car, than #029.

<-- clickable

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
misterfong
AF Newbie

So mini magic pointed me to this thread this morning, read up a little bit on it over the past hour or so.

I'm a bit stuck on the price of the engine. Even with all the research, production, and testing, I still feel like $18 million is a huge overshot. From what I've learned, every component in this engine is completely custom, including the engine block itself. I'm not going to say what I think the engine really costs because that's just a stab in the dark. All I'm saying is I think the engine did not cost $18 million to build. Is there anyway we can get a very general breakdown of the total cost? Also, is there any info on how long this engine has been under construction for? If it took a very long time to complete this engine (assuming production has had little downtime), then it might justify the price since time is money.
misterfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

I put about 50% faith in the actual details from that old Bimmerforums thread, especially the point on cost. What I can't ignore are the implications of the project, similarities of the engines both in functional performance and design, and then the close connection Iding Power has had to the McLaren F1 over the years, including at least two road cars.

Maybe some of that $18M cost included the price of purchasing the equipment used to create many of those components in the engine? Those costs would surely add up fast. Of course it does appear from the Ishikawa-Eng.com website that they were dealing with a company who may have already had those tools and the ability to produce such things.

I have not yet sat down to write an email to Iding Power on all this. I am contemplating providing a link to the thread here, with hopes that they will see there is a greater interest than just my own, and want to come here and share the full story. I'll try to make that happen this evening and see where it goes.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
I put about 50% faith in the actual details from that old Bimmerforums thread, >8^)
ER
So it's either true, or not true
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Sorry - I was implying the numbers given. They fall into the "believe half of what you see and none of what you year" category.

There is obviously a lot more to this story, and that is what I hope this thread will help us figure out. The fact that they are being so public about the engine with their new site tells me that they might finally be ready to talk about the project openly.

>8^)
ER
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #21
Predje
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: The Iding Power V12...

A cool read!!! Great research! Thanks for all the info.
Looks like there are maybe indeed a rare few F1's allready secretly using this engine or not?
And they started work on there own Iding Power V12 in the same year the first F1 was made (#002 if I'm not mistaken).

All very interesting!
Predje is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1