Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
ajsuniga
AF Newbie

Arrow 2001 Nissan Quest start problem

It ran fine when it was cold then it started feeling like it was missing and staggering and then got so bad it would only drive like 10mph and then died. And even when its cold now it just starts off bad, It dosent have to warm up to get bad. Any ideas as to what it could be and how much to fix?
ajsuniga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Nissan Quest start problem

Is the check engine lite on???

How many miles on vehicle??

Your in CA so you can not get the codes scanned for free, Check out harborfreight.com they have a scanner on sale now for $40.00. Find out the codes and post them.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed??

Last tune up?? Check condition of distrbutor cap.

Check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester gauge, harbor freight also has them or check with auto parts store to rent.

Look for the online service manuals they will help also.

Give us more info so we can help
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
ajsuniga
AF Newbie

no check engine light and the fuel filter hasn't been changed since we took it over from my parents almost a yr ago. And the car just passed smog with flying colors almost a wk b4 this happened. And it gets reg oil changes but hasn't had a tune up since we had it either. if it were a clogged fuel filter it would lose power when you press on the gas not skip around like it does. Could it be the distributor?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
ajsuniga
AF Newbie

and the car is at my work I cant drive it all the way home but it has under 100k miles
Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Yes it could be. Remove the distributor cap, check the screws that hold the rotor on. It is possible they are loose and may fall out causing problems. The camshaft sensor is in the distributor and is not replaceable to my knowledge without changing distibutors. Before removing distributor the camshaft can be checked.

Here is a link for the FSM, scroll down until you find the Quest vehicle and choose year.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Go to the EC section page 296 it show the location of the screw that I am speeaking of, also explains camshaft sensor functions.

How old is the battery? Old and weak battery can cause many problems.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
ajsuniga
AF Newbie

no the battery isn't that old at all . I'm going to be check what you told me too about the distributor etc. I am hoping that's what it is . I already know a mechanic will charge a lot to even look at it and a lot more to fix it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Another thing to check is that the timing belt has NOT jumped.

First remove fuel pump fuse and run engine until it dies then turn engine over couple more times to make sure it will not run while setting number 1 clyinder to TOP DEAD CENTER on compression stroke.

Remove #1 spark plug and turn over engine until you feel compression coming out of the spark plug hole. Then use a socket and racket connected to the crankshaft pulley bolt and turn match the timing marks on the harmonic balancer and engine block to TDC.
Mark the location of #1 distributor cap terminal on the distibutor base, remove distributor cap and see if rotor lines up with #1 cap terminal, if so timing belt is ok.

#1 spark plug in case you are not sure of location is on the bank closest to the firewall, plug nearest passenger fender.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
bert 46
AF Newbie

could well be the distributor. I had same symptoms. got a cardone distrib. on amazon that was defective. the replacement worked great.... for a while..... now it is missing a bit. I am going to get a better distrib. easy to install. takes minutes with just a wrench and/or phillips screwdriver. I will keep the old one as backup.
bert 46 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena