Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Koolmist
AF Newbie

Exclamation Odd guage issue 89 blazer

Ok so I have an odd issue, I will start at the beginning, and try to include anything that might be relevant. First off I have a 89 S-10 Blazer Tahoe. So last week I pushed my lighter in and my guages went heywire and the indicator lights for the turn signals and highbeam turn on and stay on. I turn off the headlights and everything works fine. Guages go back to normal, until I turn the headlights on, all dash lights stop working the same time the guages do. It seems to me that using the headlights short out the dash but not sure how that is. Checked all of my fuses everything seems fine. It has done this before about a month ago and I found something online about a ground screw in the lower left corner of the dash, but it seemed to have fixed itself before I had replaced that screw. But wait there is more.. when it has these issues the truck starts with a little resistance, but then the issue had gone away about a month ago the truck became increasingly difficult to start, to point of having to jumpstart it every morning, if the truck sat for more than 4 hours it would have to be jumpstarted. When I jumpstarted it, it would start instantly, on first turn of the crank. But now that I am having the issue again, it's been starting in the morning and after school in the afternoon. I greatly appreciate any and all help in resolving this annoying issue, since I have to leave for school every morning at 5am so I have no guages on my drive in.
Koolmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Odd guage issue 89 blazer

Go over all grounds on it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

This may sound real stupid, but check for coins or other foreign objects in the cigarette lighter. It sounds like you are loosing power through a dead short. Check the grounds like MT says. Look for any bare wires sparks etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Koolmist
AF Newbie

Ok so I finally got tired of this draining my battery and started the fuse search to try and nip this in the butt.. Turns out that when I pull the T/L CTSY fuse and my guages start working again when my lights are on..however I have no inside dash lights or dome light.. don't know if my lighter works or radio cause I don't haveeither anymore..tossed the lighter cause I got mad..lol I will be going outside and checking inside the lighter for a coin after I post this thanks for the help!! Ok closer examination and no foreign objects in lighter... but I just noticed another symptom, without that fuse I have no running lights front or rear.. with it back in I do but the guage issue come back..hope this helps diagnose the this better..gonna keep searching the other posts and threads. After reviewing threads I found this and am going to try it tomorrow... http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ht=dash+lights
will update later.

Last edited by Koolmist; 12-18-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Koolmist
AF Newbie

Checked all of my grounds and they all appear to be good.. removed them cleaned the area and reconnected them..still having the same issue.. just for the fun of it I checked all the running lights. still nothing guess I will have to break down and pull the seats out to see if I have bad wires under the carpet..will update again later.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Koolmist
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Odd guage issue 89 blazer

Ok I figured it out guys thanks for the help.. stupid as it sounds.. my headlight plug going to the switch was loose.. I snapped it on tighter and I haven't had a problem since.. So again I really appreciate everyones help!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolmist View Post
Ok I figured it out guys thanks for the help.. stupid as it sounds.. my headlight plug going to the switch was loose.. I snapped it on tighter and I haven't had a problem since.. So again I really appreciate everyones help!!
You are welcome and.
Thanks for postig back the fix.

Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
dash , guages , indicator , lights
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis