Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

twin turbo question

I searched for it and couldn't find it.

I was doing some reading and it was mentioned that twin (parallel, not sequential) turbocharger setups have less lag than a single turbo setup. other than simplified exhaust piping (fewer pipe bends = better flow = less lag), i really can't see any reason for this, you've got two turbos that are half the size of the single turbo getting half the exhaust and providing half the airflow each, wouldn't that mean they'd take the same amount of time to spool as the larger one?

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Re: twin turbo question

I remember it having to do with the inertia of the smaller shafts,inpellers,wheels of the 2 smaller turbos. Mostly the smaller diameter vs. the larger outer diameter of one wheel, compressor, et.

I never gave it much consideration and used whichever set-up was easiest to plumb. v-engine gets 2 usually. single exhaust manifold gets one. Many exeptions of course.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: twin turbo question

That's in line with what I've learned about them. Also, some parallel twin turbos have two different size turbos. The smaller one spools up faster, while the larger one provides more boost after the smaller one drops off.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction