Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
mklein
AF Newbie

Question 1999 Grand Cherokee problems with passenger side power windows, locks, mirror

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The passenger side door locks, windows and power mirrors do not function from the passenger side or from the drivers side master control. I can't find any fuses that are bad. Online I got some limited info on a "Passenger Door Module" (PDM)?!?. I'm not sure where to look, and what to do to hopefully resolve the problem. For what its worth (and I'm not sure how they'd be tied together), the items stopped working right around when I changed the passenger side rear tail light (which works fine now). Additionally, I found that the factory alarm will no longer arm (lock doors) but will unlock them. Also, the aftermarket remote starter does not function properly anymore. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Last edited by mklein; 05-24-2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
mklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 Grand Cherokee problems with passenger side power windows, locks, mirror

Sorry, I can't help either but was thinking that it has to be the PDM too. Try to ask this question at www.allpar.com That's the DCX website.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
ywait4ever
AF Newbie

i have the exact same issue!

have you figured out what the problem is yet?
ywait4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
jroxx
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jroxx
Common problem !!!

Look between the drivers door and the body door jam toward the front of the door......The wiring harness runs through a rubber hose there. Most likely and believe me I am 99% sure this is your problem. The door gets opened and closed a million times and the wires break. I had to do mine and my buddy works at a Jeep dealer and they replace a lot of them. The door harness is about 100.00 but I just repaired mine. Take your time and find eack broken wire and repair it. I replaced a section in each of the broken wires from inside the door to inside the body panel. It's not hard just a pain in the ass. Make sure you solder the wires and tape them up good or use heat shrink. This is a common problem with the Cherokee.

They also break on the passenger side too but most of the time it's the drivers side. And YES the drivers side HAS to work for the passenger side to work. jroxx
Old 06-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
dperry
AF Newbie

Thumbs up broken wires

Totally agree with JROXX, just fixed two broken wires in drivers side, had no windows working at all, now working fine.
dperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
bigmacdaddy
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Power windows THANK YOU!

DON'T KNOW WHO YOU GUYS ARE BUT I FOUND THE SAME PROB. WITH MY 95 GRAND CHEROKEE. Two wires broken to the power windows. Fixed in about 20 minutes. Hard to reach with big hands but saved me from looking at all the wrong things first! Thanks a million!
bigmacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #7
Myrtle Beach
AF Enthusiast

had the exact same problem with my 99 after i changed the CD player. Except my interior lights were also staying on- Disconnect the negative battery cable and then reconnect it. That fixed mine! good luck!
Myrtle Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #8
mkelee
AF Newbie

1994 jgc power door lock........ wires at door jamb...... always check there first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mkelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
mklein
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Grand Cherokee problems with passenger side power windows, locks, mirror

I checked the wires as other posts had mentioned (the majority of the feedback agreed this was the likely cause). I found nothing visually wrong with the wiring (kinks or cuts). However, I did as you mentioned and disconnected the negative terminal and like magic everything is back to normal. Not quite sure why, but everything works fine. I appreciate the tip! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle Beach
had the exact same problem with my 99 after i changed the CD player. Except my interior lights were also staying on- Disconnect the negative battery cable and then reconnect it. That fixed mine! good luck!
mklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
ewolekim
AF Newbie

Had the same problem about 2 years ago on my '99. Started intermittant at first then finally nothing would work. Dealer Repalced the Passenger Door Control Module. Said it was "common"
ewolekim is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8