Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #31
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues

As far as I know they have two different type of pullers. One bolts onto the lug nuts and you turn they screw in this will loosen it up quite abit.
Then use a slide hammer. This bolts onto the lug nuts. It has a long rod with a 5lb. or a 10lb. hammer. It is about 2 inch diameter with a hole in the center. You slide this between the piece that bolts on and the stop on the other end.
They are very tight which is why I bought a 10 hammer from Snap-on it has a 13/16 inch shaft. Most of them have a 5 lb. hammer with a 5/8 inch shaft. They are a bought 18 inch to 2 foot long. You can do it with the smaller hammer but it takes longer. You will work up a sweat if you are not in shape.
You can rent from Advance or Auto Zone. They also sell them at Pep Boys.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #32
DBNissan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via Yahoo to DBNissan

The GMT355 has a captured rotor set-up. You have to remove the steering knuckle to access the mounting bolts for the wheel bearing/hub, brake rotor assembly. Then you can remove the bolt holding the hub and rotor together.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Since I haven't done one I would go to http://www.alldata.com/ and buy a years subscription for your vehicle. This is what shop owners buy except they buy for 10 years worth of vehicles.
I did read a write up by somebody who did his own. He removed the caliper and hanged it up with a metal coat hanger. Removed and marked the anti lock sensor. He found access to all mounting bolts and removed the hardware which holds the caliper and removed it. He couldn't use an impact and even a swivel and had to use a combination box and open wrench.
If your new rotor had bolts for the lug nuts in it I would use a puller. He used a block of wood and a hammer to remove it.
If comes off this way I'm sure GM mechanics do it this way but use a puller.
They get paid flat rate not by the hour.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
lynnamay
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Chevy Colorado Issues

I HAVE A 2005 CHEVY COLORADO, THE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. I RECENTLY GOT A LETTER ABOUT THE RECALL ON THIS. SAYING THAT IF LET GO THIS WOULD CAUSE AN UNEVEN IDOL. AND ENGINE TROUBLE. I CAN'T FIND THE LETTER, MY 3 GRANDKIDS CAME TO LIVE WITH US AND THINGS GOT MOVED AROUND.I WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR IT. MY COLORADO IS NOW RUNNING RUFF AND IT DYED ON MY WIFE WHEN SHE PULLED OUT ON TO THE INTERSTATE. THIS SCARED HER VERY BAD, THERE WAS ALOT OF TRAFFIC COMMING. SHE GOT LUCKY AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT STARTED IN TIME TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OF TRAFFIC. LYNN MAY

The chevy dealer states there never was a recall on the engine light? whatever. I suspose I imagened the letter.
lynnamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #35
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I would try 2 or 3 dealers if you can't find the letter. They make more money when you pay.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #36
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnamay View Post
I HAVE A 2005 CHEVY COLORADO, THE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. I RECENTLY GOT A LETTER ABOUT THE RECALL ON THIS. SAYING THAT IF LET GO THIS WOULD CAUSE AN UNEVEN IDOL. AND ENGINE TROUBLE. I CAN'T FIND THE LETTER, MY 3 GRANDKIDS CAME TO LIVE WITH US AND THINGS GOT MOVED AROUND.I WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR IT. MY COLORADO IS NOW RUNNING RUFF AND IT DYED ON MY WIFE WHEN SHE PULLED OUT ON TO THE INTERSTATE. THIS SCARED HER VERY BAD, THERE WAS ALOT OF TRAFFIC COMMING. SHE GOT LUCKY AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT STARTED IN TIME TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OF TRAFFIC. LYNN MAY

The chevy dealer states there never was a recall on the engine light? whatever. I suspose I imagened the letter.

The letter you got was a SPECIAL Policy in regards to a condition that may cause the SES light to come on.
Take your vehicle back to the dealer and have them diagnose the rough running and SES light.
The special policy letter is #07123A. You won't need the letter, just refer them to this number
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #37
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
I would try 2 or 3 dealers if you can't find the letter. They make more money when you pay.
I have read your posts on this thread and you are giving alot of bad and incorrect information.
If you haven't worked on these trucks, like you stated, enough said
GM WCT

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #38
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/v...hp?f=F&t=65580
Honda used these type of rotors for years and the manual said use a slide hammer. Its possible the bearings aren't Honda quality.
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0805st_2007_chevrolet_colorado_wheels_brakes/bolt_pattern.html Anyhow I wrote to fast but a tool is needed to remove the hub.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_4300.htm They also make these with a slide hammer.
The point is I doubt using a slide hammer will damage the bearing but I would use a puller like the one in the picture not a Porta power. Many articles show removing many more parts.
Auto Zone or Advanced loan these tools.
For your information I wasn't critical of dealer mechanics merely stating they use what ever short cuts they can.

Last edited by rhandwor; 02-22-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #39
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/v...hp?f=F&t=65580
Honda used these type of rotors for years and the manual said use a slide hammer. Its possible the bearings aren't Honda quality.
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...t_pattern.html

First off, it's not a Honda
You must remove the hub assembly from the vehicle, then unbolt the rotor from the hub.

Knowledge gained from experiance, not from the internet
GM WCT

PM Me for details
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #40
LWS465
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 colorado with Z71 suspension The front tires have premature tire ware on the inside and vibrates at highway speeds 50 to 60mph has anybody else had this problem. Call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administratoin it in the back of your owners mamual . My truck has only 18,250 miles on it. Dealer says alignment specifications are on. I know there not . If more people report this problem maybe we can get a recall.
LWS465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #41
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Wheel alignments are not normally covered under warranty. Either pay the dealer for an alignment and tire rotation or go to a tire company like NTB which has an alignment machine and normally do alignments.
Unless you paid for an alignment they probably only checked for worn parts.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #42
Green19
AF Newbie

I Have A 2005 Chevy Colorado 4cyl 5sp.. I have a problem with the rear brakes locking up all the time. They are also very noisy!! I also have a problem with the RPM's in the morning before the truck warms up 100% the RPM's jump up and down causing the truck to almost loose power. I took the truck to a mechanic and he pulled apart the throttle encasement and cleaned it. this solved the problem but i have to have the throttle encasement cleaned every 8-10 mo. so the truck runs right.. Any ideas on how to fix the brakes that are fairly new. And how do i keep the throttle encasement clean so the truck runs right???
Green19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #43
Green19
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin View Post
The letter you got was a SPECIAL Policy in regards to a condition that may cause the SES light to come on.
Take your vehicle back to the dealer and have them diagnose the rough running and SES light.
The special policy letter is #07123A. You won't need the letter, just refer them to this number
The RPM's in my 2005 Colorado where jumping up and down causing the truck to loose power and run rough. My mechanic cleaned out the throttle encasement and solved the problem. but in another 8 Mos. or so I had to bring it back again to have him clean it again.. Not sure why this keeps happening!!!
Green19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #44
ranch_chick3591
AF Newbie

Does anyone know where I can find an ABS sensor for an 04 Colorado (4WD with the 3.5) on the drivers side? We've checked every dealership in Ohio.

Last edited by ranch_chick3591; 03-30-2009 at 11:36 AM.
ranch_chick3591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #45
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

You might try some scrap yards parts are hard to find at this time. You could try some dealers around Pittsburgh Pa.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado