Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:35 AM   #16
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
I'll give you that far, but I still think the CRV is the better looking car

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 09:48 PM   #17
cwescapexlt4x4
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cwescapexlt4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to cwescapexlt4x4
Thumbs down CRV looks

I personally do not like the new CRV.. looks too big (if that is possible) for the little wheels they equipe the CRV with.

I love my Escape.. no problems and plenty of power!:smoka:
Old 04-01-2002, 02:21 AM   #18
focalBlur
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to focalBlur
I would not be so quick to bash the reliblity of the new Escape/Maverick/Tribute
Ford put one of it's new Duratech engines in it and those motors are just as good and many times better then the motors put out by Japan

I do wish they would offer a 5speed with the V6
focalBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #19
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
The old CRV looked nicely and somewhat what an SUV should look like. But the new CRV is just too smooth, anti-SUV, doesn`t seems right, it looks even ugly, specially the front and the back with high deformed bumpers. The Mazda Tribute and Escape on the other hand, looks apropiately solid for an SUV, and the quality of materials are the best, the dashboard is really nice. Ah and by the way the Escape/Tribute wins almost every comparison test (acording to magazines) and the old CRV is way behind, the new one might still be behind.
The only thing about the new CRV is the mecanic. reliable. And thats it.

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why donīt just they let me live?

- Daewoo

The Best SUV itīs korean!

Euro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #20
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
No, the CRV has a lot more going for it, the CRV got a 5 star rating from NZ AutoCar and SMASHED the Mitsubishi Airtrek and Nissan X-Trail in a comparision test, the Tribute/Escape often are found lagging behind CRV, X-Trail, RAV-4...............All but the Suzuki Grand Vitara, LR Freelander and Tata Safari.

The CRV has SUPERB performance coming from it's VTEC engine, possibly the best mechanical reliability out of any car, superb interior quality, I like it's look and it is EXCELLENT Value for money at NZ$36,000, making it the cheapest soft-roader in NZ
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:39 PM   #21
replicant_008
AF Enthusiast

One thing with the CRV - don't drive down an icy ski-field road, sans chains, and expect 4WD. The drive system doesn't give you 4WD like a part-time 4WD (or Full Time with the centre-diff locked) so you don't get the engine braking on all wheels in a descent. So the rears will happily lock up while the fronts roll along doing their own thing. NICE, not!

And they don't seem to like driving in soft, dry sand either. (Anyone got a shovel and a sandmat?)

I haven't taken the Escape/Tribute down this year but I will this ski season (guest driving someone else's Tribute). I'm hoping that the dial on the dash does something useful!

From memory, the Freelander has the HDC (hill descent control) which is linked to the ABS system but I haven't driven one on the ski-hill yet either.

I drove an X-Trail recently too (not on the hill) and I liked it a lot - although the centre-stack dash takes getting used to and the trim is functional rather than attractive (great expanses of brown plasti-vinyl).

Anyway, apart from driving on a ski-hill and the occasional foray on a farm that most Maverick/Escape/CRV/X-Trail users even getting their shiny urban SUVs with mud on them!
replicant_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:22 PM   #22
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
Quote:
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi
No, the CRV has a lot more going for it, the CRV got a 5 star rating from NZ AutoCar and SMASHED the Mitsubishi Airtrek and Nissan X-Trail in a comparision test, the Tribute/Escape often are found lagging behind CRV, X-Trail, RAV-4...............All but the Suzuki Grand Vitara, LR Freelander and Tata Safari.

The CRV has SUPERB performance coming from it's VTEC engine, possibly the best mechanical reliability out of any car, superb interior quality, I like it's look and it is EXCELLENT Value for money at NZ$36,000, making it the cheapest soft-roader in NZ
Ok, thats your opinion, but it is wrong.

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why donīt just they let me live?

- Daewoo

Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 AM   #23
spotovi
AF Enthusiast

Hi All,

I just got a 2002 Escape XLT. It looks and drives very nicely, it was the best choice for me. It's my family vehicle.

I've tried all the others and the Escape hit the mark for me. Most of the reasons for my purchase of the Escape have been mentioned in this thread already.

The imports had the import look that doesn't appeal to me in an SUV. They seem to just blow up there car designs and make them look like SUVs. They are also underpowered. Low end torque is the main thing, high end VTEC power for example is good for civic si and such but for SUVs torque is what turns me on.

The prices of the imports are crazy. In some cases I could get a base model Explorer for the price, well almost. I got my Escape with a cheque written in Canadian dollars for $32000 ($20,825.66 USD,as of June 12,2002). All others, with the exception of the Liberty, where thousands more in my area. Not worth it, even in the name of imported products.

I only hope that the Escape lives up to it's name. Only time will tell.

Does anyone know where there are active forums for escapes and where to get technical information etc. Thanks.

Regards,
Spotovi

K&N CIA
Custom Bent SS Cat-Back w/SS Dragon Style Muffler (4.5 Inch tip).
Stock Suspension
Stock 14" wheels
Goodyear Eagle HP
Stock Brakes
spotovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:29 AM   #24
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by spotovi
The imports had the import look that doesn't appeal to me in an SUV. They seem to just blow up there car designs and make them look like SUVs. They are also underpowered. Low end torque is the main thing, high end VTEC power for example is good for civic si and such but for SUVs torque is what turns me on.
I couldnīt agree more, specially the new CRV is really ugly, with those huge bumpers in the back and the wierd front-end. And I hate the Libertys dash board, itīs so close to the front window, annoying...

- Daewoo

Old 06-14-2002, 09:17 AM   #25
spotovi
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

I have some numbers that are interesting. I wanted to get all of them but I starting saying to myself holy crap there are alot of these so I stopped. Anyways here's what I got from the spec's on the web.

Please note that these aren't all the models, and they are for the largest motors available.

AWD V6- Saturn-
181hp@6000 RPM
195Tq@4000 RPM

Escape- 3.0L
201hp@5900 RPM
196Tp@4700 RPM

Jeep Liberty-
210HP@5200 RPM
235tq@4000 RPM

Rav4- 2.0L
148hp@6000 RPM
142Tq@4000 RPM

CRV-
160hp@6000 RPM
162tq@3600 RPM

Torque in ft-lb
HorsePower rated by the manufactor

Feel free to add to the list.

Regards,
Spotovi
K&N CIA
Custom Bent SS Cat-Back w/SS Dragon Style Muffler (4.5 Inch tip).
Stock Suspension
Stock 14" wheels
Goodyear Eagle HP
Stock Brakes
spotovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:59 AM   #26
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
OK so I feel I HAVE to comment on this debate now- we have just rented a CRV (new model) for the week while we are down in Wellington and I just have to say- that this car kicks ass left right and center!!!!!!!! It looks ugly- but the interior is extremely ergonomical and the handbake is a laugh and a half- the sash only seat belt in the centre of the rear seat is a disgrace- but actually rather safe- the car is EXTREMELY quick- iVTEC rocks !!!!!!!! :ylsuper, the car is VERY well assembled and fit and finish is top notch the brakes are excellent and the Auto transmission is the best auto I ahve sampled- the Escape can only eat the CRV's dust
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #27
XeonSSJ
AF Newbie

**Nissan Xterra**

SuperCharged 3.3-liter SOHC 12-valve V6 engine
Premium fuel required
210 hp @ 4,800 rpm
246 lb-ft of torque @ 2,800 rpm

---There is something to add to the list

Looking at the specs between the honda and the ford, i highly doubt that the honda will win. To me, it looks like the liberty and Xterra lead the pack with the others in the dust...

XeonSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #28
juanito
AF Newbie

Re: The New Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
I'll give you that far, but I still think the CRV is the better looking car
I agree
juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:45 AM   #29
scott07422
AF Newbie

Re: The New Escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro19
Ok, better say spot the similarities, I did it for you, pretty easy of course

hi guys first thing i got the 2005 escape gray my wife loves it me two things i dont like first the new 4 is not that fast they say its like a 6 but bullshit its not so dont let them tell you that
2 when you on a highway and you roll Any window down o my god its soooooooooo loud so you roll it up and turn the ac on i hope its good in the snow this winter if not i be there in may geting some thing new
scott07422 is offline   Reply With Quote