Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
gallacmic
AF Newbie

Runs good in open loop, Bad in closed loop

I bought me a live data scanner and my Eclipse is modified (bored out, bigger valves,310cc injectors, 12:1 vortech FMU and 255 hp walbro, t-3 turbo etc)
While the car is in open loop (cold) it runs great. The long term fuel trim is -0.79% which I would say is not bad considering 0% is what is ideal. But once the coolant temp reading hits 150 degrees then the long term fuel trim drops to -18% and the car starts bogging and then revs itself back up to keep it from dying. The fuel pressure is at 30 psi. So the interpretation I understand is that the ecu thinks the car is running too rich and so it cuts the fuel trim by 18% and this is an overcompensation hence the car bogging down. The wideband says 15.4 when it bogs. I replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new bosch so thats taken care of but it still does it. I suspect my map sensor might be bad because during idle the data logger says 1inHG and the vaccum/boost gauge says 16inHG. The missing link may be clogged? Do map sensors have an open and closed loop? If the map sensor is bad wouldn't the car run crappy in closed and open loop? Need some advice from someone with experience in tuning here!
gallacmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Runs good in open loop, Bad in closed loop

Sounds like you already have figured out your problem. The Map sensor should be reading much lower at idle. Approx 19in.HG. I would remove missing link and try it again, if that doesnt fix it then replace the map sensor. I would think the car would run bad all the time as well but if you know its bad go ahead and fix that issue first.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilvrEclipse For This Useful Post:
gallacmic (07-14-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
gallacmic
AF Newbie

Re: Runs good in open loop, Bad in closed loop

I finally fixed my idle problem!! Heres how I did it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze4_BKpGoc8
gallacmic is offline   Reply With Quote