Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
KAndrewL
AF Newbie

Passenger side CV/axle concerns 95.0

I have noticed that the outside CV boot on the passenger side of my 95.0 Rodeo, is badly torn. I think I did the damage when I drove a left hand U-turn on dry pavement in 4H. Yes I know you are not supposed to do that, but it happened. There was clicking too. I know, also bad.

Had the wheels off for a rotation today and took a good look at the boot. Well, it looks to me like this passenger side outside boot has been replaced before. It is newer than the others on the car, and seems shorter too.

What I am wondering is, if a bad CV joint (probably from a dry pavement U-turn prior to mine) causes a boot to wear and tear faster than the others? I am suspicious that the newest boot on the car is the first to need replacement. What does that tell me about the joint, axles, wheel bearings etc? It does look like the wheel bearings on that wheel need to be re-packed.

thanks
Andrew

Thread search terms: C.V. CV boot, half shaft, axle, wheel bearings, repack
KAndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
KAndrewL
AF Newbie

Re: Passenger side CV/axle concerns 95.0

An update for anyone else that I might be interested.

Found a garage that will replace the whole half axle, and boots for $536. $145 for parts (axle and boots). 5.2 hours of labor! I am in Chandler AZ. I am concerned about what is actually included in the axle. Does it include a new C.V. joint?

I also confirmed that the front axles definitely do NOT turn on when in 2WD with my manual 95, 4x4 with auto lock hubs. I placed a piece of tape on the axle, drove a distance, and re-checked. The tape had not moved.

Andrew
KAndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

CV boots dry out & crack with age. If you catch a tear early enough, you can get away with a good cleaning & a reboot. If it's clicking, the CV joint is shot & needs to be replaced. $500 is about right. It's a fairly labor intensive job. Your new half-shaft will include: shaft, CV joint, boot kit.

G/luck
Joel
Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

I've removed one of the shafts on my 94, it is alot of work. That price for a new shaft sounds about right.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU