Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

94 caravan heater core

Im changing the heater core on a 94 dodge caravan. My Haynes book stopped being useful. It assumes you know what to do.

I have almost all of the dash torn out. The heater core from this angle is located just below the "helicopter leaf" on my windshield.

The heater core is located behind these black panels. I have all of the bolts that bolt into the firewall from the dash. The book does not tell me if I'm supposed to pull the dash back to get at the heater core, or if I'm supposed to get at the heater core from down below. I also am aware that I have a piece of blue dash still connected on right of both pictures. There is an air bag assembly inside with a panel that has to come off before the rest of this dash piece still attached. The book tells you nothing about how to take this off. I don't actually think I need to take it off anyways.

These are the instructions for taking the dash off.

This is the black panels from the earlier picture. It states to remove the screws on it but it doesn't not tell you how to get at them.

This is how the heater core lifts out. No where does it tell me whether I need to pull the dash away from the firewall to get at it, or if I need to start taking the metal frames off from the second picture. The dash does not pull away yet so if I need to pull the dash from the firewall Ill need to take some more off. Any ideas?
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 caravan heater core

That's typical of Hayne's. They pick and choose what they want to show ya and then drop ya in the 'ol trick bag when you're elbows deep into it!
These are a PITA. Been awhile since I've done one since I avoid them now, tough on the 'ol back. Your pictures are blurry but if the steering column isn't laying on the seat and the dashboard isn't in the back seat then it looks like you got a ways to go. The unit comes out as one piece then the case gets disassembled to replace the heater core. Go to: alldatadiy.com and get a 6 month subscription to your vehicle for $6.95 using the "DIY2014" code. That'll give ya access to the factory shop manuals. Hope this helps and Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

On the SRS airbag wiring harnesses they're yellow in color. Make sure you disconnect the battery and wait about 15 minutes for the capacitors to discharge before disconnecting any of 'em.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

I literally just subscribed to them. After reading the process and the pictures they show, they are just as bad as Haynes. They have the same steps pretty much. The only picture they have is the same as the 4th picture I posted. Thats not very helpful. I had to take all the metal frames out to get it out. Now I have to figure out how to get the big black box back inside lol. This is one of those times where I wish I was a muscle man that way I could just hold it in place.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager