Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Bassman38
AF Newbie

Looking for 1973 chevelle ss

I am looking for a 1973 chevelle ss in the factory metalic green color with a tan/off white vinyl roof and silver ss stripes around the bottom and green int. with bench seat, 350 4bl and auto trans. I had a car like this in high school and it was sold in GA in about 1978. I have a son that will be driving soon and I thought this would make a very cool ride for him. Any help locating a car like this would be greatly appreciated. My son and I have spent countles hours searching the web with no luck finding this car and very little luck locating the 73 ss at all. Thanks in advance.
Bassman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
CRUZN69
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CRUZN69
Re: Looking for 1973 chevelle ss

Now your looking for the proverbial "Needle in a haystack"
CRUZN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Bassman38
AF Newbie

Does anyone have anything close?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
highlandlake
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman38
Like mentioned above, you are looking for a needle in a haystack. There could be fewer than a dozen exact 1973 color/trim car you are hoping to find still left on the road today. And your son may be in his 20's before you find one of them for sale. Might I suggest you get a '73 that is close to what you want and work on it together (father/son) to get it exactly like you remember.
I poked on flea-bay and found a burgundy one in decent condition for 10 grand (item # 4627203675). Spend another 8-10 thousand on paint/trim changes and a year or so together and you'll have a car exactly like you describe. Only you can decide if the total cost is worth it compared to waiting for an exact match. But either way, your quest is worth pursuing - I wish you luck in your project and it'll be something your son will remember and talk about his whole life.
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Recently gone but not forgotten - 68 Chevelle, '97 Rodeo V6 4WD.
highlandlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
highlandlake
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman38
Another option for you is to do some investigating using the vast resources that certain indivuals have access too. Your car might still be on the road and registered. Find someone who has access to the motor vehicle registration database for Georgia, South Carolina. North Carolina, Alabama. Start with Georgia of course. A search that private detectives use will pop up all '73 Chevelles registered in the state. Then sort by color. You might find that a car is only 50 miles away. Just need to be willing to pay someone to help you look. Then take a drive, and knock on doors. "Hey, I noticed that Chevelle in your driveway is just like one I used to own - and I'm looking for one for my son - were you thinking of selling it anytime soon?"
Another option is to go to your biggest local car show and ask guys that have '73 to '75 Chevy cars. Chances are they know of or have heard about someone with a car just like one you want. They can't help it - they notice even the ones up on blocks in peoples back yards. No matter where they go, they always make a mental note of where their next project car might be located. Why am I spending so much time writing all this you may ask....My father had a '73 Pontiac LeMans 350..............but it was rusted beyond salvage when it was hauled away in 1980. You're lucky enough to live where the rust doesn't do such horrible things and the chance is there to find it or one close enough. Again, good luck.
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
Bassman38
AF Newbie

Highlandlake, thanks for the sound advice. I am curently going through some old records at my moms house in hopes of finding the VIN and the search will be on. I also saw the car on fleabay you ar speaking of. There is curently a 73SS with a 350 and four speed with bucket seats that a pretty nice ride. It is the wrong shade of green, but close. I will be watching it closely, we don't want any deals to get away do we?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
highlandlake
AF Regular

Bassman,
I just looked at the green one auction you talked about. Not in bad shape, and also not too far away from you. Having the VIN # of your original car is like getting DNA or fingerprints. If you can find that you may not have to pay someone to do a search. Just go down to your local police station when it's quiet and explain what you are up to. Bring your records. Anyone sympathetic or nostalgic will say sure - and look it up. Even if they can't disclose details about the owner's name or address they can at least say if it's an active VIN# within their database, and then go from there. That would be cool if you find the VIN, but that one on flea-bay ain't too shabby either! I bookmarked it for my own curiosity, and will make a wild guess that it could sell for around 8 grand or less?
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
highlandlake
AF Regular

Bassman, I just talked to a friend who is a PO, if you find the VIN send it to me and he'll look it up.
GMC S-15 4WD
'57 Chevy 210 post sedan
'51 Ford F2 pickup
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Bassman38
AF Newbie

Thanks Highlandlake, as soon as I find it i will drop you a line
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
THEOFANIS
AF Newbie

See my profile