Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
rheji
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva--TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT...

I'm a full-time college student, and to save money I purchased my Olds Achieva from an auto auction.

It has a problem with the transmission... When I drive it, the transmission won't shift. It happens when I get around 25-30 mph; as a result of this, the engine overheats.

Does this mean that I need to buy another transmission, or is there a fix for it?
rheji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
BuzzStPt
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva--TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT...

Problem like this could be sensor related.
It's a guessing game unless you have access to a diagnosis scanner for transmission.
Usually for 50-100 bucks a transmission can diagnos the issue within a few minutes.

One thing you can do. With teh engine running.
Pull the transmission fluid dip stick. The color of the fluid should be a redish color. Slightly darker if it's old. Next smell it.. Yes that's right.. Smell it. Does it have a hint of burnt toast? If it does or looks black, your clutches in the transmission are burnt up and you will be looking at a rebuild.
If the color is red, doesn't smell burnt, and you don't see any blackness in the fluid. Then you probably have a sensor or the transmission vacuum module.

I'm at work now But I'll post some pdf files to show you how to check and test the vacuum module.
BuzzStPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
tombaldwin3
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Oldsmobile Achieva--TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT...

I have a similar problem. Transmission will not shift into overdrive for about 15 mi. When it finally does, it then doesn't want to shift out off 1st unless you take it easy. Sounds like a vacuum problem. Would like to know where the module is located. Thanks.
tombaldwin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1998 , achieva , oldsmobile , problems , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva