Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
fiskee
AF Newbie

Originally a Radiator Fan Problem, Now Car Won't Start

I have a 1996 Jetta 2.0L (ABA) manual transmission. I've been having some frustrating problems with my coolant/ac system, but now the engine won’t start at all... I found out that the coolant fan wasn't working, so I replaced it (I found this out by (a) seeing that the motor electrical connection terminal was partly melted/blackened (b) measuring a very high resistance across the terminals (~100 Kohm) and (c) attaching wires directly to the motor from the battery and seeing no fan movement).

After replacing it I tried to test it out. After I started the car, I turned on the ac button (and air blower dial) from inside the car. I figured this would cause the radiator fan to turn on. Nothing. After turning the engine off and back on a few times, still nothing, but I noticed the ac clutch was not engaging. So then, I let the car warm up. After it got up to temp, still no radiator fan (maybe it still wasn’t hot enough). The next thing I was going to do was check if the wires going to the fan were supplying 12v (and if not jump the terminal on the temp sensor in the side of the radiator).

Anyways, now the fan is the least of my worries. Now when I try to start the thing it doesn't start. As I crank the engine over, every 3 seconds or so it sounds like one of the cylinders catches (semi-loud bang sound and a brief puff coming out the exhaust tailpipe), but it never starts - it just makes that sound every 3 seconds or so.

One thing I remember happening right before the car stopped starting: The repair book says to put the key in the ignition before reconnecting the negative battery terminal. I put the key in and turned it one click (the position where the radio turns on). After reconnecting the battery, I heard an electrical humming sound from inside the engine compartment. After removing the key from the ignition, the sound went away. A few minutes before that I had done the same thing to disconnect/reconnect the battery, and had never heard that sound. Then the car wouldn’t start. Not sure what it was or if it matters. Maybe the ignition switch was not in the correct position.

Not sure if this is at all relevant, but right before the fan problem I replaced a leaky plastic flange connected to the side of the engine which housed the coolant temperature sensors. I noticed the car wouldn't start with the sensor electrical connection removed (not surprisingly, it just kept turning over and over). So after encountering this new engine starting problem, I tried to start it with this temp sensor disconnected. When I tried this, the engine wouldn't catch (as expected), and there wasn't that intermittent (~3 sec) bang sound. I plugged the temp sensor back in, and the 3 sec bang sound comes back.

I would really appreciate any help – I have no idea what this latest problem is, but I do know the more “repairs” I do the more problems I seem to end up with… :-/
fiskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
fiskee
AF Newbie

Re: Originally a Radiator Fan Problem, Now Car Won't Start

Never mind... after a few days the car started right back up. The only thing I can think of is that water got into some of the electrical connections when I was washing off the radiator with a garden hose. Anyways, car starts normally now and new radiator fan works!
fiskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Originally a Radiator Fan Problem, Now Car Won't Start

If you washed the area in front of the engine with a garden hose, some of the spray probably got sucked into the distributor when the water cooled things down. The water in the cap is likely to either make it troublesome to start, or to just fire now and then - like you described. After I wash an engine with a distributor, I always take the cap off and let it & the inside of the dist. dry out thoroughly. On engines without distributors I still like to let it sit with the sun shining on it for an hour or two - to dry out connectors, spark plug caps and wires, etc.
When the sat for a couple of days, the water probably evaporated from inside the dist. cap.

I have a 90 Jetta with the automatic. I wish it was a 5 speed. (For the improved mpg). At the moment I need to rebuild the tranny and put in a new fuel pump. The old pump was still working, but at 200,000 I figure it has earned a new pump.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
engine , fire , intermittent , problem , starting
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96