Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
civic-sir
AF Newbie

Quick question about BEST car KIT maker

I was just wondering Who makes the BEST car kit for a Civic Coupe 99 SiR (or Si). I'm trying to make a small model for my orginal car, right now it's all Stock just with blackouts lights and sir rims and the whole sir stuff(skirt, lip grill etc.). I was just wondering if you guys would give me the name of the maker (ie. Revell) and please so the website where it's able to be purchased. Thanks a lot.
civic-sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja
Re: Quick question about BEST car KIT maker

Hey,

Welcome to AF!! I don't know the years of the civics, but I know revell makes a 2dr, and hatch, and an older 2 dr. Hasegawa makes a hatch and 4 door(rare). Fujimi makes a few civics. You can find the revell ones at most walmarts, a.c. moore craft stores, and michaels. The hasegawa and fujimi ones, can be found on www.hlj.com along with many other japanese models. Ebay always has an abundance of models available. Good luck on your model dude!
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
civic-sir
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot. I guess i'll go with Revell. It's just that i don't want the headlights to be those cheap ones. (if you look at those civic headlights u'll know what i'm talking about ) Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

The '99 Civic coupe is only made by Revell.

Here is the rundown for Civic kits:

2001+ Civic Hatch: Fujimi. Decent kit, curbside, simplified interior. Fujimi has a handful of versions of this car with different wheels and decals, but I think the parts are all the same.

1996-2001 Civic Hatch: Fujimi and Revell. Fujimi's kit is decent, curbside, with a simplified interior. There are many versions of this kit with many different decal and wheel sets, and many have some different parts including spoilers, seats, and dash. The regular kit has both LHD and RHD dash. There are 1996-1998 kits with different bumpers molded in than the 1999-2001 kits. These build up to nice JDM cars albeit they're curbside. Revell's kit is nice, too, with a more detailed interior and an engine. The wheels are kind of a joke, though, and there are some inaccuracies throughout the kit; for example, the US hatch was only sold as a DX but the kit includes the same engine parts as the Civic Si and Integra R kit by the same company. It is equal but different, in my opinion, the Fujimi kit.

1996-2001 Coupe: Revell. This is the only kit of this car. It is very similar to the hatch kit by the same company, fully detailed interior and a full engine is included with an B16 (Si) head so if you plan to make a DX or EX you'll have to modify it. The wheels are still a joke. It builds up nicely though, and if you replace the wheels and brakes you can have a very good model of this car, though I do feel the body proportions to be off, making the model appear narrower and longer than the real thing.

1992-1995 Hatch: Hasagawa. This is an excellently engraved and engineered kit (except for the dadgum clear window plastic that won't fit right). The interior tub is simplified and it's curbside. It does make for a nice stripped-out interior, though, if you can see it through the glass. The body proportions are spot on. This kit is still easily available in SiR and VTi form, but it was also sold in various race liveries that are now findable but they command a hefty price tag. Beware easily broken A-pillars.

1992-1995 4door: Hasagawa. Haven't personally seen this kit (it's rare and only in race livery form) but from what I understand it's just like the Hasagawa hatch. But not a hatch.

1992-1995 coupe: Revell. The kit breakdown is just like the Revell coupe and hatch for 1996-2001. Fully done interior, joke wheels, engine included. But the engine is wrong, it's a later generation B16/B18 (shared with the Integra and other Civic kits). The body is also molded with an aftermarket body kit, and has no provision for stock parts. This kit is also sold as a metal body, prepainted kit with a figure of the meathead guy from The Fast and the Furious.

1992-1996 or so CRX (Delsol): Fujimi. Another kit I've not had myself, but have seen built up. Standard Fujimi quality, curbside, simplified interior. Builds up nicely and comes in a couple different versions.

1988-1991 hatch: I forget. An extremely rare resin kit of this car was made for a short time way back when. I've seen this kit once, online, and not for sale. If you ever see this kit, let me know! It commands the highest price of any Civic model. It is curbside and of dubious quality.

1988-1991 CRX: Fujimi. This is a very old kit and the age of the tooling shows. The body is nice but there are flaws that will have to be addressed, like missaligned panel lines and other old-tool problems. The interior is very simplified, as is the chassis, and the kit is curbside. With some some care and some love this kit can build up well.

1984-1987 Hatch: Tamiya. These kits are getting to be rare. There is a Mugen racing version that looks stellar and also a showroom stock version. These are typical older Tamiya kits, generally nice but simplified like Fujimi kits are; light interior detailing and curbside.

1984-1987 CRX: Tamiya. Also kind of hard to find, wit the same build quality as their hatch of the same vintage. Light interior detail, curbside, but like the hatch, it's a truly oldschool Honda.

I could swear Fujimi made a 1977 CVVT Civic hatch kit but I can't confirm it, and for some reason I seem to think there was a 1:12 version of this same car by someone.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
civic-sir
AF Newbie

oh damn. Yeah i got a lot of ppl saying that body proportions are off. It does look like it. But i was wondering what did you mean by the wheels are a joke? the SiR wheels on that model?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
willimo

They are hopelessly out of scale (come out to 17-18") and the tires that wrap around them are no more than a rubber sleeve. The Coupe comes with some "Si" wheels and a handful of other uglies.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
civic-sir
AF Newbie

oh i see what you mean.
Well i'm in canada and the best way to get Revell models is off the net. No craftshop has it here. Do you kno any place other then Ebay, TowerHobby and eHobby where to get one? The problem with those is Ebay i have to wait for a long while (there is no BUY NOW) . ehobby has no international shipping, towerhobby MURDERS you in shipping lol.. and the others i dont' trust giving my creditcard. Do you guys know any safe realiable sites that support CDN. Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #8
daklunk
AF Regular

The Revell Si coupe is pretty much 96-00. 01 was when noticable modifications were made to the head and tail lights, but subtle mods were made to the Civics throughout this body style. Hardly noticable. I've built both years of Revell. The Si is good, wish the chassis didn't screw to the body. The graphics are pretty ricey, but over all it is a pretty good kit. I'd give it a 7.

The 92-95 coupe is actually a decent kit as far as I am concerned. Yes it has a screw together chassis and metal axles, but other than that it's nice. The engine is the B16 DOHC instead of a D series SOHC, which is fine by me!!! More better! And if you are into body kits and stuff (which I am up to a certain point) it has 2 options and some wings, hoods, wheels and some other "tuner" junk. Good stuff... I'd give it a 7.5....

Now if only Revell would do JDM versions Mmmm, Mugen...

Slow down, dear, you're scaring the dog...
1:1 ride: '84 BMW 318i, needs attention. Stickin' with it
1:25 450+ hp DSM build, Click here for thread
daklunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #9
civic-sir
AF Newbie

^ Hey do you have picz of it? The 99 one :P
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
willimo

Try www.modelexpress.net . They are a Canadian company and in my experience have been nothing less than stellar.

Click here for the build-up thread of my most recent attempt at this kit.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
civic-sir
AF Newbie

Wow looks amazing Willimo (your model).

Yeah the modelexpress had all the civic expect the one i'm looking for the coupe. Well thanks for trying.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
daklunk
AF Regular

Yeah, looks cool! I like the color!

I'll try and get some pictures tonight. I also built the hatch. I'd give it a 7.5 also. Good kit. But none of them are on par with Willimos, because these are pretty much older builds.

Slow down, dear, you're scaring the dog...
1:1 ride: '84 BMW 318i, needs attention. Stickin' with it
1:25 450+ hp DSM build, Click here for thread
daklunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #13
civic-sir
AF Newbie

Where are the pics :P
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
evil_hanzel
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo View Post

1992-1995 4door: Hasagawa. Haven't personally seen this kit (it's rare and only in race livery form) but from what I understand it's just like the Hasagawa hatch. But not a hatch..
this is available in road version, two versions of the ferio vti, difference is the rims and the other has an additional boot spoiler. a friend has these two road versions (two of each), and he won't well me one.

WIPs:
TE27 levin
evil_hanzel is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling