Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Shineym3
AF Newbie

Need some clarity on the Fujimi Porsche 917Ks

Does anybody happen to know the definitive answer on the proportions for the rear decks of the Fujimi kits? Do these all have the same rear deck and is the Fujimi kit of the 71' 12 hours of Sebring winner #3 car the correct one for these?

These are the cars that I am wanting to build...

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg clare001.jpeg (30.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg Porsche917_31.jpeg (94.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg porsche_917-1323.jpeg (81.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cover.JPG (22.9 KB, 15 views)
Shineym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need some clarity on the Fujimi Porsche 917Ks

Kyalami, Watkins Glen, Sebring and Daytona?

Not sure what the actual question you're asking is. I think people have agreed that the Fujimi tail is a bit narrow in the hips. There are obviously some differences in the tails between, say the 70 and 71 Le Mans winners since the 71 car had fins. Did that answer your question?

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Shineym3
AF Newbie

Hey Ian, happy to put a finer point on that question. What I am wondering is if to to build these cars more accurately if using the Renaissance rear would be required..? Moreover, is the Renaissance read deck a more accurate piece for these four cars than their kit supplied pieces?

Lastly, the Studio 27 decal sets for both of the Hippie cars says that their are made to fit the Fujimi kit, but it doesn't say which one/s...so I am looking for the best kit to start with for each of these four cars (since there are several of the Fujimi kits of the 917K without fins) and if the Renaissance rear deck is an accurate upgrade applicable to all four of them.

I hope that makes a little more sense. Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

I can't answer your question in the strictest sense since I don't have measurements of the dimensions in question on the real car, nor have I scaled out the Fujimi and Renaissance tails to compare. I think the Renaissance tail 'looks' better though...

I haven't used the Renaissance rear deck myself, but some on this board have. If you search on a 917 build by user seanyg, you can see some pics of that deck fitted to the car and the problems\issues he had. I think the Renaissance deck does look a little nicer and more accurate than Fujimi's, but of course there is extra cost and work to fit it.

As for decals, there may be issues there as well since aftermarket decals will likely be designed and sized for the Fujimi tail, so they may not fit correctly on the Renaissance tail. The hippy cars and Martini Sebring car could have issues due to the nature of the livery. Or maybe not; tough to say...

ianc
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Shineym3
AF Newbie

Excellent point you make there regarding the fit of the decals on an aftermarket tail...-fade to image of me explaining to a judge that while the decals and livery may look like complete hell, rest assure that tail is spot on dimension wise.-

Conclusion seems to be then that if I'm doing a Hippy car, stick with the Fujimi rear deck and have a car that at least has the cool livery look correct than one that would probably drive me bananas. Good idea mate!

Perhaps I'll indulge in the Renaissance rear deck when I do a Gulf car and I can smile when people say, 'Nice rear!'
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Good luck, and post WIP's of your builds! This 917 nut would love to see them...

ianc