Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 01:56 PM   #1
ThA_KwAK
AF Newbie

Exclamation How To Rewire Corner Lamp In 95-96 Maxima

Alrighty..

My name is Young Kwak (funky name..i know!!!) and I can help all of you out there with a 95-96 max...

I successfully rewired the corner lights on my 95 GLE.

I HOPE Cheston will POST this in his how to...

Ok,

First off, you'll need

-Screwdriver (both Kinds)
-Soldering Iron (careful...i burned myself and a blister formed for 5 days)
-med gauge solder
-something to hold things with (like tweezer or CHOPSTIX)
-Immunity to BURNS

Now...remember that this is DC current and if you mess up then a fuse or wiring harness is buh-bye

1) You need to remove the corner lamps.
To do this, You need to first start by removing the screws that hold the Lamps (they are under the Hood Lid). After that, you need to work the lamps out of the sockets. If you pull hard enough (not too hard) you will be able to see something like a stick that goes into the car frame next to the Headlamp housing.
To get that "stick" (a ball and socket thingy) out, you should try to squeeze a flat head screwdriver right into the end where it connects and pull the lamp while twisting the screwdriver. Do this with enough pressure and It will POP! out. Then, just disconnect
the the power.

2) Now you need to take it all apart...YAY
If i remeber correctly (doing this from memory while refusing to do my NSI data bulllcrap at the office), you need to take out the bulb harness and then the bulb...they TWIST out. Now look at where the two ends of the bulb touched the harness. It should be a small black circular plate with 2 small metal circles. If you get a small flat head, you should be able to work the plate out. You have to kinda twist and push and pull (man...). To make it a lil easier, you can PUSH UP (with a pen or something of that size) the tiny rubber part on the backend of the harness where 2 wires go in. If there is a black wire covering over the 2 wires, you are gonna hve to remove about 2 inches of it so you can push the wires up. Once the wires are pushed up and the black plate is pushed out, you are gonna have to create about 2 inches of slack to work with. Also, dont lose the spring, but keep it in the cylindrical casing.

3) Sorry so long...Now you have to start soldering.
It will help if you have the soldering iron already heated up. Ok now. You need to separate the black and red wires from the Plate. To do this you need to heat(with the soldering iron) the metal dot/connection thingies while pulling the wires from the plate (this will take some dexterity). REMEBER WHICH WAY THE WIRES WERE COMPARED TO THE PLATE. After you do this, you need to switch the wires around (this means the black wire will go where the red wire was and vice-versa). "I think the black wire is the one that is supposed to be closest to the rectangular protrusion from the circle plate." To reconnect the wires, you need to heat the metal dot thingies from the one side while pushing the exposed wiring through to the other so that the wire is fully in the dot thingies (if you just solder the wire to the dot thingies, it WILL break apart). Do this to both wires. To make the soldering a lil more secure, you can place some solder over the dot thingies on the side facing the spring.

4) Put the plates back in the housing.
This can be a lil tricky. If you look at the cylindrical housing of where the black plate and bulb go in, you will be able to see a small rectangular opening towards the base. It is in this opening in which the protrusion from the circular plate will enter. While keeping this in mind, you need to place the plates back into the harness as it was before. While placing the plates back in, you also need to pull the wires from the backend in order to prevent slack from keeping the plate from going in.

5) Testing it out...
With all this done, just put th ebulb back in and put the bulb harness back into the corner lamp housing. Connect the power cable back into the Corner lamps and test it out before putting it all together. Now, if done correctly, the corner lights should be running the 27watt filament wether or not your blinkers are on.

GOOD LUCK GUYS, and if anyone has any question about Electrical stuff in a maxima, email me at ykool@yahoo.com. Or message me thru my AIM name, YKwak11484

:sun:
ThA_KwAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 05:31 PM   #2
bobo_80
AF Regular

Unhappy

well i did this mod about a month ago, i couldn`t get the corner lights out so i just took the bulb harness out and did it from that position, what a pain in the a$$, such short electric wires and tight space to work with.......!!!
bobo_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 08:19 AM   #3
ThA_KwAK
AF Newbie

yah i got this mod done about 2 1/2 weeks a go too...I just couldnt find anyone who would post how to do it so i made up a how-2 myself...

Man...i cannot believe you did it WITHOUT taking the corner lights out...holy buh-jesus!!!
ThA_KwAK is offline   Reply With Quote