Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Quote:
Infiniti FX45 Concept Vehicle Redefines ‘Crossover’ SUV Category With Emphasis on On-Road Performance
Infiniti has a tradition of bringing new dimensions to existing model segments: the original Q45 brought a new level of performance to the large luxury car market, G20 added a taste of sport and luxury to small cars, and QX4 brought a new dimension of luxury to the luxury SUV market, even before that segment truly existed.

Enter the FX45 Concept vehicle, a new type of Infiniti concept created to take on the rapidly expanding "Crossover Luxury" SUV market. The FX45 Concept vehicle features V8 power, all-wheel drive, exceptional performance and distinct interior and exterior appointments. The FX45 Concept made its debut at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

"We started with a blank piece of paper and asked the question, ‘What kind of vehicle do we want to drive?’" said Tom Orbe, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. "The result was the FX45 Concept — a sports car driver’s vehicle first with the practicality of an SUV second."

The FX45 owner could use it as a primary vehicle, after owning and outgrowing a traditional sports car, or relegating the sports car to weekend-only use. "They still want true sports car performance, but need room for family and all of life’s other necessities," said Orbe. "This buyer also operates right on the cutting edge and will want the latest and greatest vehicle available."

FX45 Style, Inside and Out

The low-slung FX45 Concept vehicle combines the best sport utility vehicle qualities, including optimized space utilization, four full-size doors for passenger entry and a large rear hatch for cargo with sports car styling — a low slung, wide stance and huge wheels and tires. The split tailgate features a slide-out load floor for ease of cargo loading. A large, Infiniti-style grille gives the front end a substantial, sleek look. The roof of the FX45 is made of glass, for an open-air feel, but with automatic shades for passenger comfort. The rear tailgate opens in two pieces — the glass hatch swivels upwards, the lower gate swivels downwards.

Inside the leather-appointed passenger compartment, personalized zones call out specific areas, unlike a traditional SUV, which is usually wide open and formless. The driver’s zone, maximized for the driver’s enjoyment, features integrated tilt steering and instruments, as well as a 9.5-inch LCD monitor that provides functions for the advanced navigation system, HVAC controls, audio controls, Infiniti Communicator, Internet and E-mail access. The front passenger zone has its own climate controls for maximum comfort. The rear zone, for rear seat passengers, features a DVD player, video game system and a rear water bottle cooler. The entire interior is covered with Alcantara fabric and solid aluminum parts, giving the FX45 passenger an exciting contrast of warm and cool design cues.

FX45 Performance

"FX45 Concept vehicle performance target is far above that of the current crop of SUVs," said Orbe. "Instead, we targeted large sports luxury cars, such as the BMW 7-series, Lexus GS430 and our own 2002 Q45."

A specially tuned 32-valve 4.5-liter V8 with more than 300 horsepower and 300 ft-lbs of torque powers the FX45. Backing this powerful engine is a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual mode. Distributing power to the ground is an All-Modeâ driveline, adapted from the system found in the Nissan Skyline GT-R supercar, for superior performance in dry and adverse weather conditions.

The 4-wheel independent suspension is tuned for on-road handling prowess. Assisting vehicular control is the Vehicular Control System, which controls brake pressure and engine torque in over- and understeer situations. "With its high performance sports orientation, we feel that an FX45 driver will not participate in serious off-roading," said Orbe. "Instead, we’ve given it stability and exceptional performance in light traction situations such as rain, snow or gravel."

Braking is provided by large 4-wheel discs with Anti-lock. Electronic Brake Distribution, which distributes braking forces depending on vehicle load and the Brake Assist System, which aids the driver in panic braking situations, aid braking stability in the FX45 Concept.

20-inch wheels with 285/50R20 tires complete the FX45 Concept vehicle’s suspension and give it an aggressive, broad-shouldered look.

"We’re sure that the FX45 Concept vehicle will be a hit with consumers and send a strong message to competitors that Infiniti’s product resurgence is for real," said Orbe. "We are confident that the Infiniti brand is one worth aspiring to."

This SUV looks GREAT!
FX45 is thinking to compete with BMW 7-series and Lexus GS430!
WOW
Old 01-11-2001, 09:27 PM   #2
carman
AF Regular

Definitely VERY sweet
I hope it makes the production.
Looks like it's one of a kind too. I really like the design and the intent. Very original
  • b-b00gie
  • kbslacker
carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:22 PM   #3
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
bringing up a 7 months old topic.. :smoker2:

Anybody got any news on the FX45?
It's going to be produced right?
Old 08-03-2001, 09:39 PM   #4
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

That car is swizzle my nizzle! I love the agressive stance!
Old 08-04-2001, 12:27 AM   #5
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by igor@af
bringing up a 7 months old topic.. :smoker2:

Anybody got any news on the FX45?
It's going to be produced right?
Yes...in 2003, probably late in the year. Supposedly in Mississippi.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 10:26 AM   #6
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Quote:
Originally posted by snowboarder927
That car is swizzle my nizzle! I love the agressive stance!
When driving it, remember to fizzle your bizzle!
Old 08-19-2001, 11:10 PM   #7
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by enzo@af

When driving it, remember to fizzle your bizzle!
LOL, fo shizzle dizzle!
Old 08-20-2001, 09:51 AM   #8
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
I am strangely attracted to that thing.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 10:45 PM   #9
Steel
AF Fanatic

Looks more like a 2003 300zx to me...only....not orange.
kinda scary how the '03 Z looks more like a SUV than a sports car.
POS
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 12:09 AM   #10
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I wonder... does it share any structural parts with the also upcoming Nissan Alpha-T?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpha_img_1.jpg (43.7 KB, 334 views)
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 10:45 AM   #11
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

That must be some GOOOOOD crack those engineers are smokin' ! I can't believe half the stuff now-adays. Not that they aren't doing a great job on safety and performance (which they are), but whoever is doing the exterior designs are complete idiots....

2000 LS8 Sport, 1992 XR7 5.0 HO
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 06:59 AM   #12
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

The FX45's taillights remind me of those on the recently released MB C-Class coupe.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:11 AM   #13
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII
I wonder... does it share any structural parts with the also upcoming Nissan Alpha-T?
No. Believe it or not, the production FX45 will be on the same platform as the new 350Z.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 04:13 AM   #14
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Damn, talk about some hardcore parts-sharing. Well good for them.
Old 09-19-2001, 03:43 PM   #15
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

it'll take a while to get used to but... I'm likin it!! the inside looks so clean
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts