Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
pbar
AF Newbie

Burning oil smell

Greetings,
Recently our 2004 V6 LS started having a burning oil smell coming from the vents after the weather turned cold. It was off and on for about two weeks and finally I decided to check under the hood. On the left side on the manifold, there are two little pipes coming off of it and they each have holes in the top. On the rear one there is crusted, burnt oil and some smoke came from it when I popped the hood. Anyone know why this is doing this?
I posted some pictures on my website if it helps
http://www.bonewso.net/sano/IMG_3831.JPG
http://www.bonewso.net/sano/IMG_3832.JPG
http://www.bonewso.net/sano/IMG_3834.JPG
http://www.bonewso.net/sano/IMG_3836.JPG

Incidentally we had some of our coils replaced about two months ago but there was no oil smell then. Never found out why the coils went bad as I had the car serviced at a Korean Ford dealer and there were some communication barriers. I'm going have to take it back to another Ford place here in Korea and I'd like to have some clue about what this issue is so I can brush up on my Korean mechanical vocab.
We also had a cracked manifold replaced about two years ago. Like others here on this board, I love the car but I'm getting fed up with these issues. Been a life-long Ford owner and this is the first one that I've had a lot of problems with.

Thanks!
Daemon
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Burning oil smell

Based on the oil on the wire loom well above the exhaust manifold, the oil is coming from higher on the engine than the picture shows. Later today I'll have to pop the hood on my wife's LS to see if I can figure out what would be above the area and leak oil.

You could also put the proper amount of engine oil dye in the system, drive for a day or two, then check for leaks with a UV light. The highest point where the dye is visible is likely where the leak is originating from.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

That really seems too high to be anything from the engine oiling system. I'd suggest you start by cleaning the oily areas well with a degreaser and brush followed by a gentle rinse (not a steam cleaning or power wash). Maybe a quart of oil was spilled when an oil change was performed or something.

The other thing it could be would be hydraulic cooling fan fluid. The hydraulic fan pump is in front of that area, driven by the belt. If one of the fittings or hoses for that pump is leaking, that could explain the appearance of oil so far above the valve cover gasket. Check the hydraulic fan reservoir to see if the fluid level is low. Rather than adding dye to the engine oil, you might start by adding dye to the hydraulic fan system to see if the residue glows after a day or two of driving. The hydraulic fan uses Mercon ATF, but I don't see a capacity to give you an idea how much dye to add. It's probably only a quart or two.

-Rod
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
abe2571
AF Newbie

I have the 2005 ls with the v6 engine (which means it's not like leaking valve cover gaskets which are common on the v8s) and have an oil burning smell. I can smell it when the heat in the car is on. I have noticed while the car is running oil drips onto the passenger side exhaust manifold toward the rear. The drip is coming from the back of the upper intake manifold where there are two black round electric "flapper" valves that go into the intake. On mine the oil drips from the bottom electric valves. I confirmed this when I had to remove the upper intake manifold while changing out the passenger side coils. There was oil inside the upper intake which pooled on the inside of the intake by this valve and drips out when the car is running. Haven't figured out why the oil is there or if is should be but I figure on replacing the rubber oring around the flapper valve to see if it stops the oil from leaking out. Anyone else with a cause or different solution to the oil issue please chime in. By the way the car runs perfectly, it doesn't smoke or burn any oil, etc. except the this leak. Thanks you.
abe2571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Could it have been a oil mess after the last oil change?
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
JTsmks
AF Newbie

er, no offence but the V6's valve covers leak too, especially around the COP wells...ask me how I know.
JTsmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

Correct, the V6 and V8 were prone to leaking valve cover gaskets, but that was primarily those model years prior to late 2002.

-Rod
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
JTsmks
AF Newbie

I must have an early 02 ; )
JTsmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
joegr
AF Regular

And, to add a little more...

The V8 VCGs are not prone to leaking on the 2004-2006 models.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ