Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
chevyg2092
AF Newbie

I want to buy a project corvette

I want to buy a project corvette but I am not sure whichoone is the best for that. The thing that I am going for is an older style that I cans modernize by, for instance, putting a newer engine into it and whatnot. Any ideas on what corvettes I can do this with?
chevyg2092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: I want to buy a project corvette

The mid-'70s 'vettes are readily available and "cheap" by Corvette standards. They all (with a very few exceptions) are small-block cars, so building a potent powerplant is no big deal. We do a fair number of "383s" for them. Easy enough to make over 500 HP on pump gas, and still be relatively "driveable". Lots of good suspension parts for them as well. If you could find a 4-speed car, it WILL cost a bit more, but not too much. Stick a Kiesler 5-speed in there and have a BALL! Personally, I like the '78-'82 style better than the earlier ones, due to the "big back window". Others prefer the smaller one. Don't be "scared off" by changes needed. Those cars are extremely "modifiable" (is that a "real" word?). Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
chevyg2092
AF Newbie

That is great. I am looking to keep up with (or beat) my fathers 2002 Corvette that is the millenium edition with a chip in it. It pushes 385 horses. We have not taken to the track yet tho. Any ideas on how to go about beefing up a older car to beat his but with a budget?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Define "budget". There's "no free lunch". If you want to beat a modern 'vette with an older one, you're going to have to build a modern engine (not necessarily LSx, but to modern "specs"). A well-done 383 will do the job. They cost around $5-6K if you have a decent block to start with. Early 350 4-bolt blocks are still around for a reasonable price. The "craters" offer decent power for the dollar, but a good "custom" will stomp a mudhole in their .... Jim
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
chevyg2092
AF Newbie

I may go with something custom as far as an engine. I still may need to find something that runs in the mean time befor I get to customizing it. I know it is an expensive propisition. My dad said the same years that you did as well. A Sting ray may not be a bad idea either. What do you think?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

I think the name "Sting Ray" can be confusing. As far as I know, ALL '63-newer Corvettes ARE "Sting Ray". I could be wrong. Maybe a Corvette "guru" will happen along here. I'm the "motor man"... (:- But if you are refering to "2nd Gen" or more recently "C-2", save your bucks! BIG money for those, even small block cars. The mid-to-late '70s and mid-to-late '80s cars are the only ones "affordable". That being said, it occurs to me, the '85-'89 models with a manual trans are still "out there" resonable, and if you're good with electronics, they can be a SERIOUS performer. The computer controls nearly everything, thus the "need" for electronics skills. Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
chevyg2092
AF Newbie

ok cool. So I have another question for you. Is there a way to take a non-powered window in older corvettes and make them power windows?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Not my "department". I'm a "motor guy". I would think you could change the doors and install the wiring harness, but it wouldn't be "trivial". Zip's Corvette Parts (Mechanicsville, VA) has a plethora of products. Perhaps they have all the necessary items.Jim