Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
dgerber
AF Newbie

Re: Focus Trunk Lock Problems

Just got into the trunk last night. When the latch is stuck/locked closed, it is best to access through the back seats. No need to break anything. To lower the back seats, you have to trip the connector on the back side seat. This is the part that releases when you pull the release to lower the seat, when you can get into the trunk.

How to do this: When in the back seat, facing the rear of the car, open the small plastic center child car seat anchor cover. It is centered on the shelf behind the rear seat. After opening the cover, you will see a small rectangular opening in the metal on the right hand (drivers) side (still facing back of car). Insert a small diameter (approx. 1/4 inch) metal or wooden rod a distance of 10 - 12 inches, angled to the right towards the top center of the drivers side seat and up against the seat back. Keep moving the rod around against the back of the seat and you will eventually push the catch or the cable that releases the back seat.

Lower the back seats. Crawl into the trunk. Get close to the latch and you will see a portion of the latch that is wrapped around the right-hand (drivers) side and underneath side of the latch post. Take a screw driver, place it against that piece and push hard to the drivers side of the car. That will "unlock" the latch sufficiently to open the trunk. You may not be able to get the trunk to close/lock again as the latch was already broken.

Tools:

2 foot long 1/4 inch diameter rod
Flashlight (it's dark in the trunk)
screw driver

Took me about 15 minutes after having taken it to 1 mechanic, 1 Ford Dealership and 1 collision shop (twice).
dgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
bigswede
AF Newbie

Hi, take the plastic cover off the top of the seat belt cover and trim by the back window on the passenger side. Pull up the carpet enough to put your arm through the second (back) hole . At hand to elbow length the pull button to the passenger seat is there. Takes about 30 sec to do all this. Now you have to crawl in and stick a big screwdriver in where the lock latch meets the the post, and twist on the the black coated lock lever. You might have to push a little but it will unlatch. Good luck. It costs $168.00 (in Canada where i live), Half that if you can find one at a wreckers. My father in law says " just put a latch on it" .....Padlock? Since it's my other half's car....maybe a pink padlock...
bigswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
comeryda
AF Newbie

Just finished the "fix" for the "non-opening" trunk problem.
Not clear why they didn't add a "pull string" to allow the trunk to be opened via access thru the rear seat drops. You are forced to dismantle the rear lower plastic trim from inside the trunk, get to the deeply set Torx screws and thus allow the trunk to open. Not too difficult really, but it could have been made easier.
Having opened the trunk the diagnosis is more difficult. My Focus 4 door, has a key-fob activator as well as the electric-switch-grip between the taillamp illumination lights. In my case nothing worked - no noises or response to either opening system. Seemed electric in nature! And turned out to be so.
Needed to remove the trunk lid liner in part to access the switch mechanism. Then checked the white/green 12V power wire to the lock activation motor. It was DEAD to both the fob or the switch.
There are NO separate fuzes to the trunk lock - it operates from the central locking power source.
Save yourself a lot of exploration by seperating the cable connector on the left-side (for RHD cars) of the trunk (behind the liner) and check there is 12V on the "upstream" side of that connector. It may be around 2V steady state, rising momentarily to battery voltage when the fob is activated.
In my case - after a LOT of diagnostics and dismantling and showing great care NOT to poke around too much with wires that might eminate from one of the many control-computers in this car (they are NOT happy about short circuits and such!!) - I finally nailed the problem!!
It WAS one noted in other posts I'd seen!! Did a continuity check on the green/white power wire between the aforementioned connector and the trunk switch - it was open-circuit!!!!
Tugged the green/white wire going into the flex-rubber line from the trunk-lid to the trunk - and it came out!! BROKEN!!. Its a stress fatigue issue, the black wire was also showing signs of going the same way. Bridged-in a new section of wire and, after many hours of needless chasing around the car - lock got the power it needed and worked fine.
Its a bad design and maybe that short wiring loom that carries the No plate light and trunk lock between the aforementioned connector and the trunk lid needs to be replaced BEFORE it fails.
Mine is a 2006 model so its seen quite a few opening-closings.
Hope this helps someone with this annoying - but relatively simply fixed problem.
comeryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #19
DTTSan Diego
AF Newbie

I had problems with my trunk not opening, my dash would say trunk open and no trunk buttons would open the trunk (buttons on key, by driver door, and above the license plate). I had to crawl into the truck and pull the emergency handle to open the trunk. After inspecting the wires from the latch I found one of the wires got cut by the trunk hinge. After repairing the wires everything seemed to work fine again.
DTTSan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max