Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
madambransol
AF Newbie

Question heater blows cold in front and hot in back

I have a 98 Expedition and it's getting cold outside...Can anyone tell me what is going on? Blower works fine in all positions, but is blowing cold air in the front of vehicle and hot air in the back of vehicle. Please....Help...Thanks Valerie
madambransol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
xpeditty
AF Newbie

Unhappy heat in front

yeah my '99 just started doing the same thing.....anybody have a clue what's going on?
xpeditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
xpeditty
AF Newbie

heat in front

hey Valerie-does your heat temp adjust knob feel funny at all? mine started acting up during the hot weather over the summer....the knob felt funny, sometimes it would turn easily, like it wasn't connected to anything....then it would go back to normal. I just set it to coldest so the AC would work OK, but its gettin chilly out now.....
Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
madambransol
AF Newbie

Yes....In the past few months the knob has felt kinda funny...But we looked at the book...You know which one..the one that's so complicated that it's almost useless! It say's that some resistor part can short out..Well it did! I got it out, Autozone doesn't carry it, I have to go to Ford on Mon. morning and get one...I'll let you know if this solved this very cold problem.
madambransol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
InSpirit
AF Newbie

Mine does it too...but....

Just as you said, it's starting to get a bit cold out in the mornings so this is the first time I have had to use the heater instead of the a/c and mine did the same thing.
I dont have a knob for the temp selector though... mine is one of those digital ones that you push the red button to raise the temp, or the blue button to lower the temp... how do I figure out what's wrong with mine ?
InSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
xpeditty
AF Newbie

Re: heater blows cold in front and hot in back

Quote:
Originally Posted by madambransol
Yes....In the past few months the knob has felt kinda funny...But we looked at the book...You know which one..the one that's so complicated that it's almost useless! It say's that some resistor part can short out..Well it did! I got it out, Autozone doesn't carry it, I have to go to Ford on Mon. morning and get one...I'll let you know if this solved this very cold problem.

What book? Clymers? Haynes? And how did you get the resister out? Did you have to disassemble the dash or is it accessible from below? Let me know how you make out! Thanks!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Swift2
AF Newbie

Same problem. Did anyone ever get an answer? Was it the resistor? If so where is it? Thanks.
Swift2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
techservices
AF Newbie

Hey all! Did anyone receive an answer to this heater problem? My wifes Expi is now having the same problem and I would enjoy some input. Thanks
techservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #9
mjames
AF Newbie

did anyone get the answer to the heater problem. I have an 99 expedition and mine is doing the same thing. Is it a recall on this problem.
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
mnehky
AF Newbie

I had a new thermo and anti freeze change on mine and still I get warm to hot at idle, but in motion when you let off the gas it gets cold. I am guessing at the sounds of all of your problems that there could be a linkage to the baffle door that lets air in. If your selector switch now spins freely it probably shook loose. Sometimes it's a cable, others a rod. Have not looked at mine so don't ask where to look, but it is reasonable, especially if it works ok in back but not front. The dealer is trying to figure mine out. Good luck!
mnehky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
mnehky
AF Newbie

Re: Re: heater blows cold in front and hot in back

A friend of mine had the resistor done, real cheap, part less than $5, and done in a matter of minutes. Pull;ed the knob panel out and it was somewhere in there. It is my understanding that the resistor only helps if you have no fan though? Anyone know any different? The ford dealer told me that yesterday.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
grogden
AF Newbie

Re: heat in front

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeditty
hey Valerie-does your heat temp adjust knob feel funny at all? mine started acting up during the hot weather over the summer....the knob felt funny, sometimes it would turn easily, like it wasn't connected to anything....then it would go back to normal. I just set it to coldest so the AC would work OK, but its gettin chilly out now.....
I had the same thing.take the knob off,get a new one put it on and you willbe all set.to check ,take the knob off turn the metal adjuster with your fingers and see if the temp changes.
grogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Michael Cramer
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: heater blows cold in front and hot in back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnehky
A friend of mine had the resistor done, real cheap, part less than $5, and done in a matter of minutes. Pull;ed the knob panel out and it was somewhere in there. It is my understanding that the resistor only helps if you have no fan though? Anyone know any different? The ford dealer told me that yesterday.

The resistor you are talking about sounds like a blower motor resistor. This allows the blower to have different speeds, it doesn't have anything to do with the blend air door- the door that controls hot and cold. Unless there is another resistor I don't know about. You want to make sure this door is working, a simple way to see if anything is happening is to turn the knob from hot to cold with the key on and car off. I am not sure what kind of door is in you veh. If it is controlled by an electric motor you will possibly here this run or the door moving. If you think the door is ok you can check to see if you have a heater control valve this is a vavle on the heater hose coming through the fire wall with a vacume line on it. When the heat is on this valve opens and allows hot coolant into the heater core when the temp is set to cold it closes to keep hot coolant out of the heater core. Good luck.
Michael Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
rruddfan21
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madambransol
I have a 98 Expedition and it's getting cold outside...Can anyone tell me what is going on? Blower works fine in all positions, but is blowing cold air in the front of vehicle and hot air in the back of vehicle. Please....Help...Thanks Valerie
if blower works fine in all positions, the resistor is FINE. the problem is in your duct system, and/or your controls for the doors. dunno if it uses cable, vacuum, or electricity for this particular vehicle
rruddfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
mnehky
AF Newbie

Re: Re: heater blows cold in front and hot in back

missed the fan part, sorry dude, jeeez!

Following up, my heat issue was air in the system. Good luck and seasons greetings!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition