Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Reprogramming Keyless Entry for a Montana SV6 2005

Just one thing.......I was looking up a key fob for you......and found generic fobs that fit a 2005 Montana on Amazon......but the info says, it will NOT WORK with a SV6 model......so I guess that fob is year/model specific....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
PGFolks
AF Newbie

The SV6 model of the 2005 Montana has a unique Driver Information Center module that apparently required a unique keyless entry code. The key fobs that I purchased were supposed to be specific for the 2005 Montana SV6, but obviously were not so they weren't programable even with the scan tool that the lock smith used. I haven't had any luck searching for the key fob part number yet, but haven't exhausted all resources. The lock smith thought if I knew the FCC code, I might be able to locate an after market key fob that would work, but so few of the supplier's have any knowledge of that info on their electronic products that may not be all that useful.
PGFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
PGFolks
AF Newbie

I found this report on a website that I thought might be worth sharing. Apparently the FCC code does not assure success in key fob programming! The GM Part number appears to be the only useful identifier. I'm starting to learn more about this subject than I ever wanted to know:

Key Fob News – The Automotive Remote Experts’ Blog

Searching for a Replacement Remote Control by FCC ID Number
Posted on November 22, 2013 by admin
I saw something on an ebay product listing that was so wrong I just have to write an entry here to refute it. A certain ebay seller has a product information “guide” showing as part of the listing for a remote key fob. That guide says that as long as you match the FCC ID on your original remote with the one you are buying, you will get a remote that works for your vehicle. This is not true. The FCC ID of a part relates only to aspects of a remote transmitter related to radio transmission characteristics that are important to the FCC for purposes of regulating and licensing. An FCC ID is not specific to the information being transmitted.

There are numerous examples of remote transmitters with the same FCC ID that will not work in place of each other. Here are just a few examples:

Perhaps the best example is GM remotes with FCC ID KOBGT04A. Remotes Unlimited sells 13 unique remote SKUs of GM parts with this FCC ID number. There are more than 13 GM part numbers for these 13 remotes, but from a functionality standpoint, there are 13 unique key fobs. These 13 parts break down into 4 separate “families” of remotes that are not cross-compatible. Take two of the most widely used of these parts: GM remotes 15252034 and 22733523. Not only do these two 4-button key fobs have the same FCC ID, they are visually identical (except for the GM part number). To make the situation more complicated, they were both used on some of the same model applications, such as the 2006 Buick Lacrosse. They are not interchangeable! If you try to use remote 22733523 on a vehicle that originally used remote 15252034, it will not work!

Another example, from the aftermarket alarm system world, is FCC ID H5LAL777A. This FCC ID appears on numerous aftermarket alarm system remotes. To distinguish among the various key fobs, one has to know the printed circuit board number.

There is a tendency to believe what you read if someone states something in an authoritative way. Well, this particular ebay seller is just one example of a person selling remote key fobs without knowing what they are talking about. There are many others.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Found these numbers:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...omponents-scat

15224376 costs $93.98 MONTANA SV6; W/ POWER SLIDING DOOR; W/ REMOTE START

found on Amazon for $10.95

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=15114376%09

So look up the correct number on gmpartsdirect and look up the number on Amazon
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
PGFolks
AF Newbie

Once again thank you Tech II for your useful information. It looks like my 2005 Montana SV6 w/o remote start or sliding door takes GM p/n 15100811. I found several suppliers at Amazon and Ebay that sell that p/n for a reasonable price so thank you very much.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6