Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #31
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Aaltonen View Post
OK, very interesting indeed. Here is the screen shot of that video:
Defenitely sing 036 GTR.
The easy answer is that the number on the sign atop the car doesn't correspond to the chassis number. The difficult answer is: "what the heck did it correspond to?"

...oh wait, that's another question.

That's believed very strongly to be GTR #09R Sami, the one built for the Brunei collection that looks identical to the LeMans winner.

I think it is pretty safe to ignore those numbers when you see them. Here's a pair of images of the easily identifiable chassis #071 in build, as documented in Driving Ambition, and you'll note the number on that car is 099.

What is interesting is that GTR #09R wasn't the 36th F1 built no matter how you count them and chassis #071 wasn't the 99th car either. What I suspect the number might relate to is perhaps an order number or customer record number that McLaren used to track things in the factory, but has no correlation to anything that we're typically familiar with. It could also relate to the order in which the actual chassis were built perhaps.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-31-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #32
murraydeschot
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to murraydeschot
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thr

Okay, the Gordon Murray’s Labrador question was a bit of a ‘red herring’! It’s pretty well documented that he owned a Golden Retriever actually!

I had thought about enquiring what colour of socks Ron Dennis was wearing during the famous discussion at Linate Airport, but was scared someone would actually take the question seriously, answer and post photographic proof!

Here’s a genuine F1-orientated question though. At approximately the same time as Peter Stevens was styling the F1, he also worked on the design of a loudspeaker for an English loudspeaker company. Upon it’s release many reviews drew comparisons and comments on Peter’s involvement with the F1. Who was the loudspeaker manufacturer? For extra ‘Brownie Points’; can anyone name the speaker model he styled and post photos? I can answer the manufacturer question. The model designation escapes me however!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #33
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
The easy answer is that the number on the sign atop the car doesn't correspond to the chassis number. The difficult answer is: "what the heck did it correspond to?"

That's believed very strongly to be GTR #09R Sami, the one built for the Brunei collection that looks identical to the LeMans winner.

I think it is pretty safe to ignore those numbers when you see them. Here's a pair of images of the easily identifiable chassis #071 in build, as documented in Driving Ambition, and you'll note the number on that car is 099.

What is interesting is that GTR #09R wasn't the 36th F1 built no matter how you count them and chassis #071 wasn't the 99th car either. What I suspect the number might relate to is perhaps an order number or customer record number that McLaren used to track things in the factory, but has no correlation to anything that we're typically familiar with. It could also relate to the order in which the actual chassis were built perhaps.

>8^)
ER
Hmm yes now I remember, there was some discusion earlier this same video and part of it. It was #09R not #01R, my mistake.
That your theory might be sence a lot.

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #34
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

Are those numbers not the in factory build number of whatever car is being built.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #35
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

The dashboard material of GTR's, I have notised that 1995 GTR's it looks quite much different than 1996 GTR's.

And if you look this #16R's dashboard, the material looks quite much different than the #05R's.
What was the reason of changing it to 1996?
Costs or practicality or reflections on the wind screen or...?
The last case, I would expect it to be other way when you comapre the materials of #05R and #16R.
Or was it simply "it's not important thing of the car" case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05R_Paul_Ricard_helmikuu_20008.jpg (106.1 KB, 19 views)

----

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #36
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Anyone have a better photo of the rear of GTR #06R taken at the 1995 LeMans race, showing the "PER TE AYRTON" sticker, than this one?

Thanks in advance!

>8^)
ER
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Is it for what i hope its for?
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #38
DocGTR
AF Regular

Quote:
Anyone have a better photo of the rear of GTR #06R taken at the 1995 LeMans race, showing the "PER TE AYRTON" sticker, than this one?
Erik, do you need especially from LM'95? I checked my archives, LM'95 annual and Cotton's GTR book without any better images of the rear regarding LM'95 but if it's not necessary to be from LM'95 I could have some with only minor differences to the LM'95 version.
DocGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #39
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

From what I saw flipping through my own set of images, LM95 was the only place the 'Ayrton' sticker was fixed to the car. Perhaps I am wrong on that assumption, and if so, then I'd take any rear shot of the car showing it more clearly.

>8^)
ER
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Not Le Man, but there sure is something written on the back of #06r in this pic

and this one too [somewhere ]

Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #41
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Aaltonen View Post
The dashboard material of GTR's, I have notised that 1995 GTR's it looks quite much different than 1996 GTR's.

And if you look this #16R's dashboard, the material looks quite much different than the #05R's.
What was the reason of changing it to 1996?
Costs or practicality or reflections on the wind screen or...?
The last case, I would expect it to be other way when you comapre the materials of #05R and #16R.
Or was it simply "it's not important thing of the car" case?
"Weight reduction" is the simple answer Sami.

The 95 GTR,s dash was laid up in grp and covered in Alcantara. Very nice they looked too. but this is a race car. So in 96 a lighter lay up was used and finished with a textured anti-glare coating.
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #42
DocGTR
AF Regular

Here's a scan from BMW Magazin 1/96 taken at Donington 1995.

Could still be better on that "PER TE AYRTON". There's a better one in Cotton's book on page 126 from Nurburgring if someone has it already scanned!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #43
DocGTR
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
Not Le Man, but there sure is something written on the back of #06r in this pic

Taken at Monza 1996.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #44
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

>8^)
ER
OK children, time for a maths lesson, "One and One does not make Two"

Well at least, not down at McLaren

Not all the F1,s were built at Genesis, up to that point in time when #09R was being built. So its all down to how they counted or how many fingers they had .
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #45
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Man View Post
"Weight reduction" is the simple answer Sami.

The 95 GTR,s dash was laid up in grp and covered in Alcantara. Very nice they looked too. but this is a race car. So in 96 a lighter lay up was used and finished with a textured anti-glare coating.
Of course...I should quess that. Just didn't believe it could be so critical what kind of dashboard the car has.
Well knowing Gordon Murray's obsession of weight, I should have quess that.

And yep, 1995 GTR dashboard looks very detailed and great. Stylish, I should say even it's a racecar. 1996 GTR's then a bit "hasty" done. But main thing is that it works.

----

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1