Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
johnwilldo
AF Newbie

Overheating or bad gauges? 1986 E150

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have a problem with trouble shooting a new problem with the 302 engine. After warm up, the oil gauge and water temperature gauge will vary all over the place. I am not convinced that the engine is overheating. The thermostat seems to open since the top radiator hose gets hot to the touch. The engine starts and runs fine. When it is cold and just started, the oil pressure looks fine. After warm up the oil pressure gauge will vary all over the place as does the water temperature gauge. The other gauges are acting normal. The radiator is new as are all the hoses and belts. There is no coolant loss, the oil is clear and there does not appear to be any weeping from the water pump nor is the water pump noisy. There does seem to be an oil leak near the bottom of the radiator but I have not determined the source. I want to sell the Van, it is a Quigley 4X4 conversion van but it is worthless with that problem. I am not sure how to proceed with finding the problem and I do not want to just throw parts at it. Oh, it is a low mileage van with just over 79,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1986 Ford Van 001.jpg (284.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by johnwilldo; 05-16-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: additional information
johnwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: Overheating or bad gauges? 1986 E150

Quote:
the oil pressure gauge will vary all over the place as does the water temperature gauge
since the temps seem "normal" maybe the sensor and/or wiring problem; i saw another member with a GM model that was reading "high" even with a ECT sensor change. the mech used one of those infrared temp guns to verify that it was OK with his case...

Quote:
seem to be an oil leak near the bottom of the radiator but I have not determined the source.
the only thing "oily" near the radiator is the transmission oil lines to one of the endtanks; to cool the transmission oil.... check the hoses/clamps to that part of the radiator
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricebike For This Useful Post:
johnwilldo (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
johnwilldo
AF Newbie

Re: Overheating or bad gauges? 1986 E150

Hi,

Thanks, I will look into those areas. I just got the radio going when the after market radio was hooked to a power source that was not working.
johnwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote