Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
TrojanX
AF Newbie

'94 Sunbird 2.0 OHC 5-Speed

ok, I am already aware of this car. ie:head gasket issue's, etc.

This car has to last me till I can afford a better one.

I cleaned my engine with a no pressure cleaner at my car wash, then I rinsed it off with the rinse cycle. After I was done washing my car, I started it, and it had a really high idle. I dont have a tach, but if I had to guess it was around 4000-5000 rpm. I noticed a slit in my PCV vacuum hose, so I replaced the hose, but still a very high idle. The throttle mechanism is not stuck or anything. I then took it for a drive, and thought maybe something got a little frozen, as it was a bit on the cooler side, but it still did not matter. in neutral at idle it is still very high, in gear I start letting clutch out and it goes down, but when I slow down to stop at a light or whatever the idle is right back up.

I then took it out for another drive later in the evening, to see if maybe it just needed to sit for a while, the high idling is now weird, as in it is now hit and miss. and when I am slowing down/stopping it is wanting to stall.

Does anyone have theee slightest idea what is going on?

and please dont say get a new/different car

Edit: I forgot to mention, when I give it gas(this only happens sometimes) it sputters. Earlier on in the day(after I washed it) it would sputter when gas was given, but did not stall/want to stall at all.

Only when I took it out in the evening.
TrojanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
Davez69gto
AF Newbie

Re: '94 Sunbird 2.0 OHC 5-Speed

Well I would guess it had something to do w/ the water you put on the engine... As I'm sure you have too. Well to work on the problem I would first say wait till a nice dry hot day comes. Open up your hood, remove the hose from one end of the pcv valve (the one that was cracked) and just let it sit in the sun all day long. I'm thinking you got moisture somewhere and need to get rid of it. Just in case you got some in the hose this will help it get released. After 5hrs or so in the nice hot sun test it out and hopefully all your problems will be solved.
Davez69gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
SmokinSunbird
AF Newbie

Re: '94 Sunbird 2.0 OHC 5-Speed

I have a 93 and mine had the high idle issue for at least a few months and i never could figure out what was wrong. I changed the pcv valve and it helped a little but honestly idk if it stopped or if i got used to it as i dont notice it anymore and i just noticed a few days ago if i jus tap the paddle very quickly and lightly itll spit and sputter so i tried to see if i kept tapping it over and over if i could make it stall but it never does so im not sure. Ive come to the conclusion these cars r bipolar lol not sure if theres anything we can do
SmokinSunbird is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird