Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Wave
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
macmuc
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2009 Pontiac Wave 1.6L intermittent hesitation

We have a 2009 Pontiac Wave 1.6 L that intermittently hesitates. The problem occurs at least once a day, when driving between 10 and 60 Km/hr and upon acceleration. The hesitation is as if the engine throttle has been disconnected. I can mash the peddle to the floor with no response. The engine continues to run at a very low idle, then finally responds after anywhere from 1 - 5 seconds of delay. On one occation the engine did die. It seems to be very intermittent. We have had it back to the dealership twice and they say they can't find anything wrong even after test driving it. We have 7 members of our family drive the car and all have expirenced the problem, so it's not driver related. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or could shed some light on the subject.

macmuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 2009 Pontiac Wave 1.6L intermittent hesitation

Have the dealer scan for codes. Sometimes, intermittent problems will store a code in memory. The code says there for a while even though the problem has disappeared. This may give the dealer a clue as to the source of the problem.

Also, get to know Manitoba's new car lemon laws. If a dealer cannot fix a problem after a certain number of visits, you may be entitled to some kind of compensation.

FWIW don't be shy about raising hell about this issue. It is a VERY serious safety concern. Just imagine you are turning left in front of busy traffic and the engine dies for 5 seconds... an accident would be likely.

So, make a big fuss and demand a new, replacement car if yours cannot be fixed. Call your regional GM representative or office and get them involved. Send a thorough description, with any witness reports, and your demand for repair or a new car etc to GM and the dealer by registered mail. Therefore, at least, if things get worse, you have a record that they have been informed.

Also, make it clear that if there is an related accident, you will sue and hold the dealer and GM legally responsible for resulting damage and injury. There is precedent for this. GM has been successfully sued for wrongful death and injury in the past for stalling vehicles.

Also, contact the Automobile Protection Association of Canada. Join them and they could probably help you.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?lang=english
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
allmic
AF Newbie

HI I have had the same problem with my ne w wave I was wondering if you've had any satisfaction
allmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Troyman
AF Newbie

Ok Im a technician. I have a wave in my shop now. I have driven this car for several hours today with no luck duplicating the concern. The customer tells me that the exact thing is happening. There are no codes, all data in the computer seems to be ok. Wondering if anyone has come accross the cause of this yet.

As for making your dealer eat shit over it, dont do that. I mean ya show that you're frustrated but technicians are paid flat rate based on the cars they repair which means that if you offer blank cheque for diagnosis they WILL find it, but most people dont want to do that. Some of these issues get very difficult for techs when they are forced to guess at what is could be when pressured to "just make a decision" by the managers and customers. It can get very expensive. Hope Im not coming off as a jerk but ive been on both sides, car owner and tech.
Troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
macmuc
AF Newbie

Sorry for not following up sooner. Yes, the GM dealership were able to fix the problem after much troubleshooting. It turned our to be an intermittent O2 sensor. Attached is the service report.
We've had no problems since.....

Hope this helps.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pontiac_Wave.JPG (194.9 KB, 4 views)
macmuc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Wave