Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
mash accelerator
AF Newbie

moderators-please don't close old threads ?

I'm 55 and have been working on cars since I was 17. that's a long time. had my own garage and worked for 2 other independents before that, along with a Pa. State Inspection license, and AAS Degree in Automotive Technology. Recently my own car developed transmission shifting problems (2003 Monte Carlo) and a net search brought up this forum. there was an excellent thread where an experienced tech answered a question in detail, about TCC sticking on the 4t65e transmission- which is the exact problem I have. In literally days of net searching, he gave the best explanation I could find for a code 742- because he also told what, why, where based on experience. because thread was old, the mod jumped in- then the mod SHUT DOWN THE THREAD. WTH ??
a knowledge base is an ongoing pursuit- we have knowledge and skills today based on 6,000+ years of human interaction, and passing on that info to the next generation. if you shut down threads, it will STYMIE any database and short circuit the whole reason for having a message board in the first place. just cuz someone had a problem 4 years ago, doesn't mean it's no longer valid. digging up an old thread is no different than taking out the 1970 Motor repair manual once again, and looking up the timing spec for a 455 Pontiac engine. what if someone glued the book shut and said no, you can't look it up anymore. see ?? we're restoring and driving cars that are 45 years old, or more. so what gives ? here's the thread and I can only hope this mod, if he's still here, doesn't axe threads like this anymore and stymie more conversation and knowledge tips. forgive me for saying, but locking up a thread like this is just stupid. people were learning more from that thread than any 20 other threads on the same subject, and I'd wager the mod was a dummy and just jealous cuz that tech knew his onions, and had done literally 100's of those challenging and difficult to diagnose repairs. when a mod starts feeling his Wheaties and abusing the paltry authority he has, the whole hobby suffers. here is the thread, and it's a damned shame some numb-nuts locked it up. "bens99gtp" knew wth he was talking about, and the mod who locked this up, owes him an apology. FWIW that guy "bens99gtp" never posted again, after that one thread- because you locked it up. if this was my message board I'd ban that moderator, or at least take his mod priviledges away already. he is the kind of guy who would fire the best mechanics in the garage and keep guys who can't change a spark plug.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t424..._stuck_on.html
mash accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: moderators-please don't close old threads ?

Shutting down threads does not stymie the database. The thread is still in the database and can still be found by searching.

The moderator that you are complaining about it one of the only moderators that is still around and keeps this forum clean of spammers. Also if you actually read the thread you would see the only reason he closed the thread was because he went on a rant, quite similar to yours for no reason.

The thread you are complaining about was last posted in back in 2009. That is 8 years ago. At that time it was regular practice to close old threads so the moderator was doing what was asked of him by the site administrator.

I'm not even sure why I am wasting my time responding to your thread because it is adding nothing of value to this section or the site, but if I deleted it you would just think you were right.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: moderators-please don't close old threads ?

Obviously, the thread is still in the database. If not, your link would not work.

There are a few search options using the V-Bulletin tools on the site (clicking the SEARCH button) in addition to using an external search engine such as Google with a site filter. You can always add a filter to your search string such as this:

4t65 p0742 site:automotiveforums.com

Doing just that, I was able to quickly find at least 40 matches.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix