Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Krw1984
AF Newbie

Help! 2004 Aztek Transmission Locks up!

Hey everyone, I need some help. I have a 2004 Pontiac Aztek, 99k, very well cared for. A few days ago I started the car and it sounded like rocks tumbling around right next to my left front driver wheel. Backed the car up, opened the hood, noise was gone and drove it fine to work- about half a mile. Left work, backed it up and kinda was bumpy. I drove maybe 8 miles and it was fine, the last mile or so it started hesitating and not wanting to shift, came to a dead stop across the street from my house. Towed to a dealer, told me the transmission is locked, the fluid is burnt and I need a new transmission-3800 for trans and labor. I towed it home, and the tow driver started it and drove it off the truck! It drove about 70 feet or so and locked up. Restarted it and drove it about another 30. Does this sound like a transmission problem or something else? They didn't even change the fluid, I am just not convinced.....

Please help me!
Krw1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Help! 2004 Aztek Transmission Locks up!

From here really no way to properly diagnose this. Is this an all wheel drive vehicle?, if so the transfer case could cause this.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Krw1984
AF Newbie

Hi. Thanks for your response, it is a front wheel drive. Really wishing I knew more about cars :-(
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

About the only thing you can do, is check the fluid level and condition.....

Then drop the pan, and look for either metal or excessive clutch material....cut open the filter and look for metal.....

Have you scanned for transmission codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Krw1984
AF Newbie

Hi, I had a mobile mechanic come out and look today. when the dealer hooked it up and there were no codes and no display lights on the dash. so today we checked the fluid, it was full, no leaks, and a dark orangish color. He checked the shifter cable and it was good. The second time I put the car in reverse it went forward. You can hear the plates not catching, he said it is possibly a torque converter. I found a shop that will rebuild my current Trans with an out the door price of 2k. But people are telling me to buy another Trans that has been rebuilt so there is less room for error. I guess I dont understand a rebuilt that is not mine vs. rebuilding mine. At least I would know the history on mine. Im so undecided to fix or not fix, really love this car and I live on an island so dont use it all too much. Not sure I want to do car payments again either.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Gtp1003
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1984 View Post
Hi, I had a mobile mechanic come out and look today. when the dealer hooked it up and there were no codes and no display lights on the dash. so today we checked the fluid, it was full, no leaks, and a dark orangish color. He checked the shifter cable and it was good. The second time I put the car in reverse it went forward. You can hear the plates not catching, he said it is possibly a torque converter. I found a shop that will rebuild my current Trans with an out the door price of 2k. But people are telling me to buy another Trans that has been rebuilt so there is less room for error. I guess I dont understand a rebuilt that is not mine vs. rebuilding mine. At least I would know the history on mine. Im so undecided to fix or not fix, really love this car and I live on an island so dont use it all too much. Not sure I want to do car payments again either.
Knowing this. As tech II stated if u have some basic mechanical abilities here's what u can do. 1 drop the pan. Change the filter see what's there. If you see alot metal you have a serious problem. If you have just a bunch of sludge in there I have seen a new filter work. Do Not tighten the pan bolts the way they come off it will leak badly. Just a smidgen past firm. OK that said. I would start and see if it's full of what's called hard damage. That's failure. From what I gather u have a 4T65-E transmission. Now if you don't see a bunch of metal you may just have a clogged filter from debris. I have seen that. Now there is no way you can check other than the electronic wires are all connected and you don't have a stretched shifting cable seen that also. If the cable is wasted I can see a half engage gear. Those 2 could be your issue. Do Not play with the side pan whatever you do. That all said. You can order online a gasket and filter kit. Make sure it's from a transmission online shop. The gasket is alot higher quality and less chance for a leak. Again u snug up the bolts a little over when the wrench stops by it self. Do not bend the gasket. If you have any questions feel free to email me I think that's on.
Gtp1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
Krw1984
AF Newbie

Hey guys! Well, the car decided to go forward in reverse, and then back to working. I ended up rebuilding the transmission, it came with a 2yr 24k warranty. I did this because I really do not know what kind of car I would even purchase and I rarely drive. So the mechanic told me there was alot of metal in the pan and believed my planetary gears where what did it. when they rebuilt it and took it for a drive it would go straight into second gear, so they ended up having to change a solenoid also. The car shifts beautifully now, driven about 50 miles so far. Here are my concerns: left front area makes a popping noise. Car whines when I accelerate, car pulls to the left under hard braking, and something is squeaking. I am told everything may still be breaking in, and the mechanic wants to see the car again after I put on 100 miles. I am paranoid to drive, do these sound like normal issues after a rebuild?

Also- tell me what you think is better: Ford Edge or Toyota highlander or jeep grand Cherokee? I would love some feedback! These are the 3 suvs I like.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:04 AM   #8
Gtp1003
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1984 View Post
Hey guys! Well, the car decided to go forward in reverse, and then back to working. I ended up rebuilding the transmission, it came with a 2yr 24k warranty. I did this because I really do not know what kind of car I would even purchase and I rarely drive. So the mechanic told me there was alot of metal in the pan and believed my planetary gears where what did it. when they rebuilt it and took it for a drive it would go straight into second gear, so they ended up having to change a solenoid also. The car shifts beautifully now, driven about 50 miles so far. Here are my concerns: left front area makes a popping noise. Car whines when I accelerate, car pulls to the left under hard braking, and something is squeaking. I am told everything may still be breaking in, and the mechanic wants to see the car again after I put on 100 miles. I am paranoid to drive, do these sound like normal issues after a rebuild?

Also- tell me what you think is better: Ford Edge or Toyota highlander or jeep grand Cherokee? I would love some feedback! These are the 3 suvs I like.
Ok the whine. That's a big concern. 90% of the time I seen and heard thst. The oil pump in the transmission is not working right. The popping I'd have to hear it. OK I worked in a trans shop for years. Never have I ever heard bring it back in 100 miles and breaking in. Yes the transmission does break in. Never ever stated that to a customer. The whine. I'd take it back asap. If the trans is built correctly. It's see yea later if it breaks. This whole thing has me on the take it back now button. As far as the other issues. Sounds like someone could have had a rough go if it removing parts. But again would have to listen to it. Oh. It could be a bad convertor. But I'd have to hear everything to be closer to your problem. Long short take it back. Hope all goes well.
Gtp1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Agree with GTP....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Aztek