Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Key Stuck in Ignition 2002 GT

I have two 2002 Grand Prix GT's. One driven by my son the other I drive to work (Gas mileage is GREAT!!!). A few weeks ago my key was suck in the ignition when the car was turned off. Since I read this forum regularly I knew how to get the key out (short term) by inserting a thin object in the hole in the bottom steering column. So I finally got around to diagnosing what was wrong. I used the wiring diagram supplied by TBLAKE. With the key stuck in the ignition, I measured the voltage going into the park position switch on the shifter. It was 12 volts. The voltage coming out of the park position switch was 3.5 volts. Moving the shifter in and out of park the voltage would vary from 2.0 volts up to 11.5 volts. Of course when the output was 11.5 volts, the key could be removed. The problem is clearly isolated to the park position switch on the shifter. I have read in other threads that others have "cleaned" the park position switch (due to contamination from drink spills etc.). But looking at the shifter and switch assembly, it is unclear to me how to thoroughly clean the switch. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to access the switch? I have the contact cleaner, etc. Just need some pointers how to get to it. Thanks

Doesn't seem anyone wants to answer this post!!!!!!! BNaylor or Tblake? I am going to try pulling the shifter down to low and cleaning mechanical parts with WD 40. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD OR BAD IDEA. I do need some advice on this.

Last edited by mrrdeac; 09-04-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No response
mrrdeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Re: Key Stuck in Ignition 2002 GT

Here is an update: Since I diagnosed it by using the wiring diagram and a digital volt meter, it is definite that this fault is in the shifter park position switch. Therefore I decided I needed to clean up the shifter mechanism. I sprayed the mechanical parts with WD-40. Including the bottom of the shifter mechanism. For the last 6 days, it has worked flawlessly. But it is too early to declare victory. (It is definitely better than it was). I will update again next week.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake

Sounds good! Sorry I didn'r respond. I would also remove the center console cover and watch the wires. Seems I remember someone had a wire become streched. Once the wire was replaced the problem was solved.

Glad to hear your issue went away. Sometimes they just get gummed up because of pop or other sticky liquids being spilled down there.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply TBlake. I did check the wiring thoroughly and no wires were stretched or strained. Also while I was debugging with the DVM, I moved/wiggled each wire to verify that it was not a bad connection. It has now been nearly three weeks and not a single "key stuck" has happened since my cleaning of the mechanical parts in the shifter. It could come back but I am so confident I am replacing the "plug" on the bottom of the steering column.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
troy1
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrdeac View Post
I am so confident I am replacing the "plug" on the bottom of the steering column.

That for sure will make it happen again
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
spica4038
AF Newbie

Should be noted that the console cover does not need to be removed to lubricate the mechanism. Removed the small storage cup in front of the gear shift and the mechanism was exposed enough to spray with WD-40. Ok for the last 2 days.
spica4038 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix