Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
irishblood315
AF Newbie

just got 87 gt fiero and it doesnt run

I bought a 87 fiero gt and it doesnt run. The person that i bought it from just put about $2000 into it and he sed it ran but he flooded it out. He bought the car from the original owner and it sat for about 2yrs. He says that he flooded it so i should change the plugs. He already changed plugs and put new distributor in as well as a fuel pump and filter. My question is where do i start my diagnosis? Should i take his word on changing plugs? I have all receiepts on what he spent. I also dont know if you can flood out a fuel injected car. Let me know thanks alot fiero fans!!!!!!! And hopefully i can be out there showin off the car soon.
irishblood315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: just got 87 gt fiero and it doesnt run

First thing you do when you buy these old beasts, is check underneath......if the car was driven in salt areas, I can almost guarantee it's rotting out underneath....

As for where to start, I'm trying to remember if, since it is a GT, it has the 2.8 V-6......I think they had a cold start injector on them......these vehicles had several recalls on them, mainly checking for broken ex manifold bolts, and a potential fire hazard.....

Now back to your car.....first off, I would disable the fuel, by pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay......I would also pull the dip stick, check the condition of the oil(not brown like coolant was in there), AND I would smell the dipstick for gas.....if he "flooded" the car, fuel could be in the oil, and you don't want fuel circulating to bearings in the engine.....if that's the case, immediately drop the oil and change the filter......

I believe this has an external coil......attach a spark tester to the output of the coil and check for spark(remember, fuel should be disabled).......

If no spark, then HEI basic diagnostics have to be done....

If you have spark, reconnect the coil wire to the distributor, and check for spark at the ends of several ignition wires, one at a time.....if no spark, check the rotor/cap......

If you have spark, remove the snorkel from the intake, and have someone crank the car while you spray carb cleaner into the intake......what you should do is open the throttle plate wide open, spray in......then release throttle plate and then spray as the vehicle is cranked.....

If the vehicle starts, you know you have a fuel delivery problem(injectors are not firing or there is no fuel pressure)......if it almost starts, wait a few minutes, spray into the intake again with the throttle open, wait about 30 seconds, and then spray with throttle closed as car is cranked.....it will start, or almost start.....

If it almost starts, then the plugs could be fouled.......remove all plugs(they should be A-C/Delco)......see if they are fouled or wet......if they are, replace them......remember to check the gap before installing......also pay attention if one or more plugs are fouled and the others aren't...that would indicate a problem in the corresponding cylinder(s)....

But before installing the plugs,, since you have them out, now would be a good time to do a compression test.....fuel is already disabled....you want to disable spark too.....just remove the electrical harness connections at the coil......

Holding throttle plate wide open, and with compression gage on a cylinder, have someone crank the vehicle about 5 seconds(need a good battery to do this)........repeat test on same cylinder to confirm reading...get your readings on all cylinders....

Also, you can check by flash codes, if there are any codes in the computer(ECM)......the little black plate in the center console that houses the cigarette lighter has to be remove(2 screws I think), and the ALDL 12 pin connector is there......do you know how to get flash codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
irishblood315
AF Newbie

Hey man thanks alot for the info. I did check the dipstick and it does smell like gas, but what if i dont know how long the gas was in the oil? He only jad it runnin for a little while and ireally hope the bearings arent bad. What if i havent changed the oil yet and can i change it and put a lucus oil treatment in it thwn try to run it and change it again? Im not thw most mechanicaly inclined person so i m prolly just take it to my buddies shop. Thanks again for answering my question you are a real big help
irishblood315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If you smell fuel in the oil, the prudent thing is to change the oil and filter, before circulating any more oil.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero