Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

Touching Back With The Heart Of Street Racing

Hi guys I know i haven't posted in a while and while i have browsed the site frequently for the past two months my fingers never touched the keyboard for any responses; for that i apologize. I am writing to touch on a particularily controversial topic that recently has perturbed me to the point of anger. The point is this, recently street racing has been gaining a much more obnoxious crowd of lads. The echelon of people now attracted to it are the individuals that crave attention and have the money to back it up. I am guilty in a sense, as money is not really an issue but i am far more modest with my wins. Maybe i am missing the point, what i am trying to say is that street racing recently has seen a drop in skill and a rise instead in money spent and paint splashed. Driving a car that makes a loud noise and is painted brightly people seem to think categorizes them as a street racer and fuels there need to feel accepted and "cool".

What led me to make these all to harsh accusations was a meet i was at a couple of weeks ago. In downtown Cincinnati there is a place called the bump spot. In this spot cop presence is limited and races can be organized, executed and won quickly and efficiently so as to prove who is the "best". Anyway while there, i came across a seventeen year old (same age as myself) who had recently come into ownership (thanks to his parents) of an audi S4. A car that i admired and thought a noble choice. The individulal who i will refer to as Jack had fitted the car with a cat-bak exhaust, cold ait intake and stuck a body kit on it. The car was easily the most expensive car at the meet and he wanted everyone to know it. Being an asshole myself i called him out on his claims of invincibility. First off i asked him what liter engine the car had, he couldn't tell me. Then i asked him if he had tweaked with the transmission. To this question he gave the most unbelievable answer ever. He looked at me and said i gave it two extra gears. At first an impressive claim but i asked him how. He stuttered a bit and said he had them installed. WTF!!!!. I asked him how, he repeated, "i had the two extra gears installed". Calling him on BS i stuck my head inside the car and saw that it was a 6 gear automatic. This was too good to pass up. This guy obviously had no idea what he was talking about so i challenged him. haha this is where it gets good.

I went to my car and slid behined the wheel of my cooper. The boy started rolling on the ground when he saw what car i had and started talking an awful lot of smack. This response isn't unusual and doesn't offend me in the slightest, it is just a testimony to the gas guzzling, attention grabbing whores that are american teenagers. Lets make it interesting he said and slaps a twenty onto my windshield i took out my wallet and matched him with no fear at all. I knew the kid had a sport mode and a steptronic but i also knew that he had practically no knowledge of cars. With this in mind i suggested a roll off of 30. The twit accepted and the race was on. I didn't have anything to worry about. I Knew Jack would have no idea that he had to shift down in a steptronic, and would think that he could just depress the accelerator and win. We rolled at thirty and after the third honk we pressed and sure enough it was as if he was stationary. His automatic was cruising at two thousand revs when the race began to his initial start was limited, slow, and powerless. I collected my winnings along with his ego and returned to my group of friends.

To revisit my previous point. The world of street racing is begining to attract kids who simply want to look cool and think that smack talk, reving engines, and altogether dangerous driving is the way to be a street racer. This obscene behavior combined with their often unlimited budget is lowering the elite group that is known as street racers. i didn't even feel good about my win because i was racing in a different kind of competition. It was like playing checkers with Helen Keller, I had won before we ever started. Audi S4's are nice cars and i love them but kids ruin good cars and reputations by trying to be hip. I race for the adrenaline and for personal gain, these hooligans race because they saw it on TV and heard terms like cold air intake thrown around. This group then talks nonsense about cold air intakes, pretending to have this extensive knowledge of them just to sound cool. It is a true paradox. My generation is ruining street racing and for that i sincerely apologize and wish i could change it. Maybe for now we can just help by taking down their ego's and reminding them that it is not just about putting your foot down on the accelerator while some friend screams in the passenger seat. That the complete experience touches on the joy of learning about the car, and what makes it tick. The car is your baby to be nursed, fed, and cared for and in return raced. These pricks need to be taught a lesson and we are the ones to put it to them.

Sorry ranting over I am back

P.S. I have never raced an S4 but despite my mods to my car i would likely haver my ass kicked. I am not sure. I know they are good cars when behined the wheel of an intelligent driver
Old 07-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
jeepgclwj
AF Enthusiast

Re: Touching Back With The Heart Of Street Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottedPanda
Hi guys I know i haven't posted in a while and while i have browsed the site frequently for the past two months my fingers never touched the keyboard for any responses; for that i apologize. I am writing to touch on a particularily controversial topic that recently has perturbed me to the point of anger. The point is this, recently street racing has been gaining a much more obnoxious crowd of lads. The echelon of people now attracted to it are the individuals that crave attention and have the money to back it up. I am guilty in a sense, as money is not really an issue but i am far more modest with my wins. Maybe i am missing the point, what i am trying to say is that street racing recently has seen a drop in skill and a rise instead in money spent and paint splashed. Driving a car that makes a loud noise and is painted brightly people seem to think categorizes them as a street racer and fuels there need to feel accepted and "cool".

What led me to make these all to harsh accusations was a meet i was at a couple of weeks ago. In downtown Cincinnati there is a place called the bump spot. In this spot cop presence is limited and races can be organized, executed and won quickly and efficiently so as to prove who is the "best". Anyway while there, i came across a seventeen year old (same age as myself) who had recently come into ownership (thanks to his parents) of an audi S4. A car that i admired and thought a noble choice. The individulal who i will refer to as Jack had fitted the car with a cat-bak exhaust, cold ait intake and stuck a body kit on it. The car was easily the most expensive car at the meet and he wanted everyone to know it. Being an asshole myself i called him out on his claims of invincibility. First off i asked him what liter engine the car had, he couldn't tell me. Then i asked him if he had tweaked with the transmission. To this question he gave the most unbelievable answer ever. He looked at me and said i gave it two extra gears. At first an impressive claim but i asked him how. He stuttered a bit and said he had them installed. WTF!!!!. I asked him how, he repeated, "i had the two extra gears installed". Calling him on BS i stuck my head inside the car and saw that it was a 6 gear automatic. This was too good to pass up. This guy obviously had no idea what he was talking about so i challenged him. haha this is where it gets good.

I went to my car and slid behined the wheel of my cooper. The boy started rolling on the ground when he saw what car i had and started talking an awful lot of smack. This response isn't unusual and doesn't offend me in the slightest, it is just a testimony to the gas guzzling, attention grabbing whores that are american teenagers. Lets make it interesting he said and slaps a twenty onto my windshield i took out my wallet and matched him with no fear at all. I knew the kid had a sport mode and a steptronic but i also knew that he had practically no knowledge of cars. With this in mind i suggested a roll off of 30. The twit accepted and the race was on. I didn't have anything to worry about. I Knew Jack would have no idea that he had to shift down in a steptronic, and would think that he could just depress the accelerator and win. We rolled at thirty and after the third honk we pressed and sure enough it was as if he was stationary. His automatic was cruising at two thousand revs when the race began to his initial start was limited, slow, and powerless. I collected my winnings along with his ego and returned to my group of friends.

To revisit my previous point. The world of street racing is begining to attract kids who simply want to look cool and think that smack talk, reving engines, and altogether dangerous driving is the way to be a street racer. This obscene behavior combined with their often unlimited budget is lowering the elite group that is known as street racers. i didn't even feel good about my win because i was racing in a different kind of competition. It was like playing checkers with Helen Keller, I had won before we ever started. Audi S4's are nice cars and i love them but kids ruin good cars and reputations by trying to be hip. I race for the adrenaline and for personal gain, these hooligans race because they saw it on TV and heard terms like cold air intake thrown around. This group then talks nonsense about cold air intakes, pretending to have this extensive knowledge of them just to sound cool. It is a true paradox. My generation is ruining street racing and for that i sincerely apologize and wish i could change it. Maybe for now we can just help by taking down their ego's and reminding them that it is not just about putting your foot down on the accelerator while some friend screams in the passenger seat. That the complete experience touches on the joy of learning about the car, and what makes it tick. The car is your baby to be nursed, fed, and cared for and in return raced. These pricks need to be taught a lesson and we are the ones to put it to them.

Sorry ranting over I am back

P.S. I have never raced an S4 but despite my mods to my car i would likely haver my ass kicked. I am not sure. I know they are good cars when behined the wheel of an intelligent driver
A little more detail on the actual race would be great. I assume your Cooper is supercharged and modded.

I'm in Columbus if your ever around and I'm in towm hit me up. Well maybe not I cant beat a S4 I'm pretty sure. What year was the Audi I really cant see going through all that again to find out.

358rwhp/358rwtq with stock LS1 intake
A4 3.23 lid, pacesetter lts, ory, 243 heads, SLP LMI, ZO6 cam, BBK SSI intake, 85 mm

Last edited by jeepgclwj; 07-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgclwj
A little more detail on the actual race would be great. I assume your Cooper is supercharged and modded.

I'm in Columbus if your ever around and I'm in towm hit me up. Well maybe not I cant beat a S4 I'm pretty sure. What year was the Audi I really cant see going through all that again to find out.
No my cooper is an 07 so it is turbocharged not supercharged. It is only mildly modded with an alta CAI and a borla exhaust system. Nothing more. yeah i would love to hit you up sometime. the Audi year i am not sure i am sorry
Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Wow.

He really couldn't drive, seeing as those Steptronics, if anything like the BMW set up, has a kickdown function so that if you floor it, it drops down a gear and works just like you would have downshifted. Seeing especially as, on a good day, a Borla catback and intake on the turbo'd Cooper S, add, I dunno, 15 wheel horsepower, I'd say your chilling in the mid to high fourteens, solidly, trapping at, eh, somewhere south of 100

In stock form, I'm gonna say he had a B6 or later S4, for the simple fact that, well, a B5 Audi S4 (The bi turbo model) can be had on the real cheap and he could have bought it himself. So lets say he's got a B6 or later. Stock, your looking at something in the high to mid 13 range, trapping a touch above 100. With a cat back and intake, lets just say for shits and giggles sake that he's sitting at 13.5ish, trapping right around 100.

So your mid to high 14 second car that I all but promise you isn't trapping more than 100 if at all, pulled a triptronic Audi that, as soon as you floor it, was going to kickdown and jump into the right(ish) gear? Not pulling the BS flag yet, but I'm gonna need some video proof homeslice.

Meh, bring that Cooper down here, I want a piece of some Mini ass and none of them around here will run me.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
Wow.

He really couldn't drive, seeing as those Steptronics, if anything like the BMW set up, has a kickdown function so that if you floor it, it drops down a gear and works just like you would have downshifted. Seeing especially as, on a good day, a Borla catback and intake on the turbo'd Cooper S, add, I dunno, 15 wheel horsepower, I'd say your chilling in the mid to high fourteens, solidly, trapping at, eh, somewhere south of 100

In stock form, I'm gonna say he had a B6 or later S4, for the simple fact that, well, a B5 Audi S4 (The bi turbo model) can be had on the real cheap and he could have bought it himself. So lets say he's got a B6 or later. Stock, your looking at something in the high to mid 13 range, trapping a touch above 100. With a cat back and intake, lets just say for shits and giggles sake that he's sitting at 13.5ish, trapping right around 100.

So your mid to high 14 second car that I all but promise you isn't trapping more than 100 if at all, pulled a triptronic Audi that, as soon as you floor it, was going to kickdown and jump into the right(ish) gear? Not pulling the BS flag yet, but I'm gonna need some video proof homeslice.

Meh, bring that Cooper down here, I want a piece of some Mini ass and none of them around here will run me.

Well my friend the threat of BS i can hopefully subdue with my explanation. When the accelerator is depressed all the way and it clicks that little button at the bottom underneath it, the car does indeed down shift by simple programing. However before the the car reacts to the downshift trigger being pressed the car already has accelerated subtely taking the car from a roll at 30 to high 30's/ low 40's so the car shifts up one more time before being dropped back a gear. So really the car pretty much stayed in the same gear and by the time all this had gone on anyway i had won the damn race.

In all honesty i would have been toasted no doubt, had the race been a mile or so but it was barely a quarter mile. Oh and with my alta cai and borla exhaust i am pressing about 220 ponies or so. I do the quarter mile in 13.7 by the way so actually you were a little high and i trap at 107. NOt Bad for a MINI haha

I don't BS if i can help it, it bugs me
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
CivRacer95
srs biznis

Send a message via AIM to CivRacer95

Quote:
Well my friend the threat of BS i can hopefully subdue with my explanation. When the accelerator is depressed all the way and it clicks that little button at the bottom underneath it, the car does indeed down shift by simple programing. However before the the car reacts to the downshift trigger being pressed the car already has accelerated subtely taking the car from a roll at 30 to high 30's/ low 40's so the car shifts up one more time before being dropped back a gear. So really the car pretty much stayed in the same gear and by the time all this had gone on anyway i had won the damn race.

In all honesty i would have been toasted no doubt, had the race been a mile or so but it was barely a quarter mile. Oh and with my alta cai and borla exhaust i am pressing about 220 ponies or so. I do the quarter mile in 13.7 by the way so actually you were a little high and i trap at 107. NOt Bad for a MINI haha

Well, to start off, welcome here to our SR section. I know you've been reading for a while and just lurking about, but I figure a welcome is in order.

Alright, I took just a moment to look over your profile, and it says you own an 08 Cooper, and not the 07 you stated. I can understand a simple mistype here and there, which is fine. And you actually seem like a smart, and decent kid for your age. Being 17 and all. . So, I'm going to take some time to point out a few flaws that I have noticed.

1. The 08 Cooper as pointed out in your profile, and in this thread say you own an 07?
2. Your Mini S has an estimated 172 bhp, and with an Intake and catback exhaust, you manage to gain nearly 50 bhp?
3. With a curb weight of over 2600 lbs, and 220 hp, you manage to squeek out a 13.7 1/4 time with a trap of 107 mph?

These are just a few things. I'm not trying to stomp on your toes, or make you feel unwelcomed, but I would like somethings clarified here. We've recently come across a few "posers" if you will around these parts. Most haven't stuck around because of consistent lying and holes in their stories.

If you could please show just a bit of proof of you vehicle, timeslips, and possibly some dyno numbers, that would be great. Just being skeptic, because really, it gets tiresome to try and approve of new members when they start off by giving a little BS to their stories.

Anyway, on topic with your post, I do appreciate the rant and can understand what you mean by the whole "street racer" image being turned to rubbish by a generation of uninformed kids. But in time, I found that most learn kids will learn with age, and eventually gain knowledge to understand what they are interested in.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Once again, having owned a car with a kickdown feature...uh, no. If you take maybe five or six seconds to fully floor the pedal, than yes. But, if you flat floor it hard, then no, it doesn't react fast enough to accelerate to the point of needing to upshift before down shifting. And if he did flat floor it fast enough to avoid the acceleration, but jumped up at the bare minimum of at least ten miles per hour in that less than a second or so, he would have toasted you so hard you would have thought you were on a pedal bike. Also, I don't know the exact shift profile of the S4 tranny, but on my slow shit 3er, second gear kicked in hard at around 30ish, and held to about 60-65, so, uh, I seriously doubt it upshifted from 30-40. Of course, I would need an actual B6 or later S4 owner to confirm this.

Quote:

Slips, vids, and dyno charts or BS.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivRacer95
Well, to start off, welcome here to our SR section. I know you've been reading for a while and just lurking about, but I figure a welcome is in order.

Alright, I took just a moment to look over your profile, and it says you own an 08 Cooper, and not the 07 you stated. I can understand a simple mistype here and there, which is fine. And you actually seem like a smart, and decent kid for your age. Being 17 and all. . So, I'm going to take some time to point out a few flaws that I have noticed.

1. The 08 Cooper as pointed out in your profile, and in this thread say you own an 07?
2. Your Mini S has an estimated 172 bhp, and with an Intake and catback exhaust, you manage to gain nearly 50 bhp?
3. With a curb weight of over 2600 lbs, and 220 hp, you manage to squeek out a 13.7 1/4 time with a trap of 107 mph?

These are just a few things. I'm not trying to stomp on your toes, or make you feel unwelcomed, but I would like somethings clarified here. We've recently come across a few "posers" if you will around these parts. Most haven't stuck around because of consistent lying and holes in their stories.

If you could please show just a bit of proof of you vehicle, timeslips, and possibly some dyno numbers, that would be great. Just being skeptic, because really, it gets tiresome to try and approve of new members when they start off by giving a little BS to their stories.

Anyway, on topic with your post, I do appreciate the rant and can understand what you mean by the whole "street racer" image being turned to rubbish by a generation of uninformed kids. But in time, I found that most learn kids will learn with age, and eventually gain knowledge to understand what they are interested in.
lol you beat me to it.

there is no way in hell a cai and cat-back exhaust are going to add 50hp to an otherwise stock vehicle, ecpeccially not a damn 1.6 liter engine....also, there is no way in hell those "mods" (your car is basically still stock) will drop you from a ~15.2 1/4 mile down to 13.7. if you could break into the 14.9's then you would've surpassed my expectations.

and without pics i'm calling bs that you really even have a car
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
lol you beat me to it.

there is no way in hell a cai and cat-back exhaust are going to add 50hp to an otherwise stock vehicle, ecpeccially not a damn 1.6 liter engine....also, there is no way in hell those "mods" (your car is basically still stock) will drop you from a ~15.2 1/4 mile down to 13.7. if you could break into the 14.9's then you would've surpassed my expectations.

and without pics i'm calling bs that you really even have a car
Damnit, and you beat me to that! I was just about to add that to my last post, and then I saw you put that in. Damn you and your fast auto tranny!!!!

Oh, and since I'm a trap speed whore, don't forget it also added about 10-15mph to his trap speed!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
BullDog71ss
AF Enthusiast

I've got nearly 300 whp and I only trap 102 mph...maybe I need a mini.

I think we are averaging about 4-5 of these wierdos a year now. Which is kind of nice though, it breaks up the monotony. It's been getting pretty boring around here.

2002 GMC Seirra 2500 HD 6.0
Mods-LQ9 engine, Custom 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, trailer brake controller, Hi-flow cats, Flowtech headers
2007 Mustang GT/CS
Mods-Vinyl stripes, int/ext aluminium trim, Billet shorty antenna, Hurst short shifter, BBK cai, Brenspeed 91 tune, Pypes o/r H-pipe, Billet hood pins
1971 Camaro SS 5.7 <-- Under construction
Old 07-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
TorchedStealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TorchedStealth

I also would like to see proof of this vehicle. I'm not saying you dont have it...I'm just a little skeptical about the numbers you threw out.

I make lets say ~220whp and weigh in at about 2950 lbs and i trap at 99mph, so if you make 220 Bhp and weigh ~2600 lbs i really dont see 107 mph trap speeds.

If you show us some proof I'm sure you would gain a lot of respect from all of us.
2005 Saturn Ion Redline - Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors|E85|Harrop TVS1320 Blower|2.9" pulley|3" Intake|Vibrant Header and catless Downpipe|Hahn 3" catback|N2MB Wot Box w/2-step and no-lift shift|Cobra Heat Exchanger|Hurst STS|Ottp Stage 1 trans mounts|AEM EUGO Wideband|Aeroforce Interceptor|HPTuners (self tuned)|Mop Top Pros Carbon Fiber badges|B&G Springs
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

Wow i did not expect that haha oh well i guess proof is in order. the mistake is in the previous post the mini is an 07 not an 08 and it has the JCW package so actually it makes just under 200 horse power stock. So a gain of twenty horse power isn't as bold a claim as 50. You are justafied on wanting proof all of you and i will be sure to put some pics up. The JCW package comes with a differently tuned ecu and other upgrades that i simply didn't mention b/c they are added by BMW not me.

As for the quater mile time and trap speed okay i have to admit something, it was not done proffesionally. My friends dad is the president of a company known Neyer Conctruction. Behined their central plant there is a half mile of straight road for semi trucks to travel to the compound for shipments. a couple of weeks ago my friends and i literally set up a quarter mile track there and did times using
1) a cap gun to start it
2)two stop watches that were pressed when the gun went off and when the cars crossed the line
3)A baseball pitch speed radar gun to determine final trap speed.

So granted i probably wouldn't trap exactly that or have that exact speed on a real course. Sorry for misleading you guys but who doesn't like to look good haha.

As for the pic's can someone help me as to how to up load them

I really do like this forum and don't want to be viewed as one of those kids who i am actually beliteling in the primary post.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
CivRacer95
srs biznis

Send a message via AIM to CivRacer95

Well, if you are inquiring on uploading pictures, I suggest using a website like Photobucket.com or some sort.

Usually when you upload the photos to a place like Photobucket, they provide an embeding link underneath the picture after you upload it. Embed your photos here after you upload them. Or, if you would like, I can upload the pictures for you if you want to send the pictures in a folder through email.

I'm glad you are willing to own up about the "fake" quarter mile gig. It's understandable if you are looking for acceptance. But like I said, you seem like a decent and knowledgable kid. That's why I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I look forward to your response, and if you want me to upload the photos, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
DottedPanda
AF Newbie

Thankyou for the advise and the compliment

Just another eason i like the forums
Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Quote:
As for the quater mile time and trap speed okay i have to admit something, it was not done proffesionally. My friends dad is the president of a company known Neyer Conctruction. Behined their central plant there is a half mile of straight road for semi trucks to travel to the compound for shipments. a couple of weeks ago my friends and i literally set up a quarter mile track there and did times using
1) a cap gun to start it
2)two stop watches that were pressed when the gun went off and when the cars crossed the line
3)A baseball pitch speed radar gun to determine final trap speed.
This is on such a level of fail I don't even think a barrel roll will save you. In fact, I think fail doesn't even begin to cover this. Might actually wanna look up how trap speed, amongst other things, are measured. I'm still on the BS borderline with you walking over a S4 which, in stock form, would still have little trouble if any with a JCW Cooper.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing