Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 08:15 PM   #1
c_walkin
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to c_walkin
h22 in a 2000 civic

im thinkin of swaping engines in my car.... i think im gonna put a h22 in it.... then someone told me to change the psi in it to 8////// what does that mean and how would i do it?????????????????/
c_walkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
Thumbs down H22 in civic

First of all i wouldnt try jamming a big motor into a small car. I mean, you can do whatever u want but i've heard alot of problems with the prelude motor in a civic, such as understeer and the front end riding too low and blowing your shocks because the motor is so heavy. The prelude weighs 385 lbs compared to a 215 lb DX motor. Just a thought.
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 04:14 AM   #3
MARKUSIUDIUS
AF Enthusiast

Better idea

I actually sore a 2000 model TypeR engine (1.8lt) fitting snug into a 2000 civic. if you did not know better you would think it was factory.

Always way up the cost factor multiplied by the power factor. So many options if youve got the cash.

All the best
MARKUSIUDIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 06:00 PM   #4
TrUnKs714
AF Newbie

Re: h22 in a 2000 civic

Quote:
Originally posted by c_walkin
im thinkin of swaping engines in my car.... i think im gonna put a h22 in it.... then someone told me to change the psi in it to 8////// what does that mean and how would i do it?????????????????/

this depends on what car you have. if u have a civic i wouldnt reccommend the swap if ur juss gonna go in a straight line. u can say bye to ur a/c and p/s cuz u wont have room for them. u will experience MAD understeer. i think wut ur buddy means by boosting up ur psi is that u need to boost up the psi in ur shocks to make them stiffer. if u want this swap then it is better if u get new aftermarket shocks and coilovers, n they gotta b hella stiff.
TrUnKs714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
Predator
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Predator
Well I wouldnt do that because a civic isnt good for swapping big engines in it at all. Ive heard that the car drives like a box with wheels after that!

what for idiots... theyre discussing about a law were u have to switch on the lights the whole day but when u switch on the fog lights without fog u have to pay for this 'criminal act'...

ZOMTEC rulez!!!
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:48 PM   #6
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

Re: Better idea

Quote:
Originally posted by MARKUSIUDIUS
I actually sore a 2000 model TypeR engine (1.8lt) fitting snug into a 2000 civic. if you did not know better you would think it was factory.

All the best

HMMM, a tiny 1.8 ITR engine VS. a huge 2.2 Prelude engine. There's quite a size and weight difference there.
super 96 accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:57 PM   #7
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Just wondering, but have any of you guys done this swap or personally see this swap and been in the car? I have read up a lot about it and people that actually have it done say a lot of the stuff being said about weight is just talk. There is a guy who runs a 5th gen civ with stock integ shocks, with lowering springs( I think he had springs) and said it handled better than stock. I have talked to many guys about them, and yes there some small problems but do you think people that drop in GSR engines don't have a single problem? Just make sure when you get the h22a installed that the place knows what there doing. And to the AC comment if you get a Hasport kit you can still run AC and PS. Also a warning in advance if you lower your car more than 1.75 thats when your going to run into blowing axles fast. Just wanted to help ya out and help out the H22a.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:17 AM   #8
vietgangsta
AF Newbie

The reason your friend doesn't have any problems with his gsr engin(b18c) in a civic is because it's the same size as the b16a in an Si; hell there are kits that you can buy to do the swap. It's basicly the same type of engin. The h22 however is huge compared to the b18c, but it will fit. You might have to get rid of ac, get a smaller radiator,get new axles, do a little cutting and welding to fit the tranny, but it will work. all you have to do is shell out alot of money cause it is't easy.
vietgangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:37 AM   #9
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

smaller radiator????? When you put a gsr into a civic you have to get a bigger radiator so it can cool effeciently...so why would you get a smaller one for a big h22a? I don't know about aftermarket radiators but are they smaller and keep your everything cool or are they the same size as stock??

Quote:
Originally posted by vietgangsta
The reason your friend doesn't have any problems with his gsr engin(b18c) in a civic is because it's the same size as the b16a in an Si; hell there are kits that you can buy to do the swap. It's basicly the same type of engin. The h22 however is huge compared to the b18c, but it will fit. You might have to get rid of ac, get a smaller radiator,get new axles, do a little cutting and welding to fit the tranny, but it will work. all you have to do is shell out alot of money cause it is't easy.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #10
Hanguk87
AF Fanatic

Just wondering but why is this topic in the N20/turbo/superchargers forum?
Hanguk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:12 PM   #11
94civic
AF Enthusiast

i actually seen a 2000 civic hatchback with a h22a in it. it had a turbonetics t4 turbo, turbonetics racing wastegate, spearco intercooler, hondata management system, c&r custom radiator, msd ignition system, greddy type-s blow off valve, he's running 11 psi and putting out more than 450HP!! on a stock bottom end and still has ps and ac. it's the company car and a daily driver. this place is located in lawrence,ma. he said it drives really good and said don't believe in those myths about understeer or blowing out your shocks.
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:19 PM   #12
Hanguk87
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94civic
i actually seen a 2000 civic hatchback with a h22a in it. it had a turbonetics t4 turbo, turbonetics racing wastegate, spearco intercooler, hondata management system, c&r custom radiator, msd ignition system, greddy type-s blow off valve, he's running 11 psi and putting out more than 450HP!! on a stock bottom end and still has ps and ac. it's the company car and a daily driver. this place is located in lawrence,ma. he said it drives really good and said don't believe in those myths about understeer or blowing out your shocks.
Does he get 450 horsepower at the wheels? Because if he does, how can you have that much horsepower when you only running 11psi? People who run 11psi on H22a engines usually have no more than 360 horsepower at the wheels. You have any more info or pics of this car, I would appreciate it.
Hanguk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:57 PM   #13
94civic
AF Enthusiast

i'm not really sure. he just said it had 450 hp, he didn't say anything about if it was at the wheels or the flywheel
94civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #14
Bianca
AF Enthusiast

The H22 can be thrown in a civic. Its pretty pointless tho. Just because its a 2.2 doesnt mean your cars gonna be fast. I wanted an H22A (the JDM ONE) in my civic but the only reason i wanted the bigger engine is because the engine block is so much larger, it can handle boring more than lets say a B16, with slightly less worry about warping in extreme heat.

I think you should look at actual figures for the H22 before you go through the hassle of the swap. The hp is 200 for the US H22A. Now you can save yourself a lot of work and weight by getting the 97-00 Integra type r B18C5 engine. This puts out only 5 hp less then the H22.

Well anyways. I think...save your money and your time and just go with a B18c5. Build it up. Add a turbo. Youll be happier

www.biancamarcel.com
Bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:33 PM   #15
supafly1024
AF Enthusiast

The B18C5 will save you some time, and probably some money IF you can find one.