Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 03:56 PM   #16
NeoFreek
AF Regular

$100k was probibly to sarcastic. But many engineers make that much money at the larger companies. But starting its probibly closer to $60k a year at most.

After looking at there web site again, they also have a work program where you can make up to $60K. Hummmm. In their terms that probibly is like closer to around $10k.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:21 PM   #17
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
$60k to start still sounds a bit high to me. Here are some articles that you may find interesting:

http://static.monstertrak.com/mediac...it_030501.html

https://engineering.purdue.edu/FrE/E.../salary_e.html
Old 02-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #18
IntegraR0064
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to IntegraR0064
Quote:
Originally posted by ivymike1031
Don't get your hopes up, you probably won't make $100k/yr in your first decade as an engineer...
Yep. More typical is 50-60k
2000 FBP Integra Type R #0064

IntegraR0064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 05:07 PM   #19
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

I'm starting college after the summer, and I would prabably go mechanical engineering or veichle engineering at KTH or Chalmers in Sweden. The thing here in Sweden is that it's free, you only pay for books and the place you live and so on.
KTH co-operate with for example american MIT, so there is a possibility to go there for a year (even if it's very difficult to get one of the places available).

Here you get around $225 a month from the state, and $425 a month as a low interest loan, also from the state.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 11:27 AM   #20
JE123
AF Enthusiast

At Tennessee Technological University (the college that I will probably attend) they have a co-op program and you leave college for a semester to work at a company. I believe they have one at Saturn, which is not far from where I live. It not only gives you good experience and you might get hired by that company when you graduate. I can only hope.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:29 PM   #21
NeoFreek
AF Regular

Quote:
There are more than 2.2 million professional engineers working in the United States today. And with the average starting salary for college engineering graduates at almost $ 47,000 a year, the industry will surely continue attracting talent.
2.2 million professional engineers working in the U.S. Thats a lot more than I thought there were. Well still doesn't change anything.

At $47k a year thats still a good living.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:55 PM   #22
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Someguy
I started at $50k (EE), which is right in the middle of where engineers from my school (VA Tech) have started over the last few years. How much you end up making and how fast varies wildly. I've been shopping around a bit lately and the going rate for 3-5 years experience seems to range from mid $60ks to a high (of what I've seen advertised as a general "engineer" position) of $86k, depending on experience and qualifications. Security clearences are a big deal around DC and make a big difference. The difference from a BS to MS doesn't seem to matter too terribly much. There are few jobs that want MSs, but most employers seem to equate BS + 2 years experience to a MS. The Naval Research Lab, for example, does exactly that for pay and promotion purposes. The money also depends on where you are. $50k makes for a very tight living in NYC, but a quite comfy living in Richmound VA.

The real big money in engineering is for people that either come up with and patent ideas, or engineers who make good managers of other engineers. The latter is fairly rare in engineering types, which is why its in demand.

Quote:
2.2 million professional engineers working in the U.S. Thats a lot more than I thought there were. Well still doesn't change anything.
Out of 300 million that's not that many.

Quote:
At Tennessee Technological University (the college that I will probably attend) they have a co-op program and you leave college for a semester to work at a company.
Co-oping is a big thing at Tech and a wonderful program in general. At Tech you alternate semesters working and going to school for your junior and senior years plus typically a summer or two. Some companies (larger ones usually) pay for housing, and pretty much all of them pay better then your average summer job. The REAL big advantage is that it not going gives you actual engineering work experience, it gives you ins and contacts with a company in your field. Your first job as an engineer is the hardest to get, and knowing people is the best way to do it. Many of my friends ended up working for the companies they co-oped with.

EDIT: Though a couple of extra 0s in my US population number.

Last edited by Someguy; 03-01-2002 at 01:53 AM.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:26 AM   #23
texan
Writer Mod

Knowing people is ONLY way to do it, not the best way. Hell son, just get into a good trade profession and be happy. I'm making a damn sight more than the starting pay you guys are looking at, and it's only taken me about 3 years to get up to speed on everything. Plus I didn't have to take any higher education to qualify, though that's never a bad thing in life.
Old 03-01-2002, 01:56 AM   #24
Someguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Someguy
Oh yeah, something else to consider: A lot of gov-ment jobs (which can be quite nice for engineers) look for a 3.0 average or they don't even consider you. It doesn't matter if your major is rocket science or under water basket weaving or if you want to Harvard or Bo-Diddly Community College. "3.0" is a magic number.
Someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 10:30 AM   #25
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
that's cool, I need to start requesting letter grades on my work packets in school in order to boost my GPA. I'm in a school-work prgram here at Tigard high School, I got to a job site for a month and work there for school credit and get packets of work instead of regular curriclum.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical