Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
green machine75
AF Newbie

95 tercel dx hesitation on acceleration

hello everyone,

hopefully somebody on this forum will have some expert advice.

i have been having a few issues with my 95 tercel dx. she constantly bucks or hesitates when accelerating. gutless, no power, i can't afford to push her in tight situations for fear that she won't respond accordingly. usually no problems in the first 10 minutes and when the engine is cold. cold weather runs much better, hot weather runs terrible.

recently replaced the sparks, egr and associated emmision parts plus the fuel filter. the car ran like new for an evening, then next day back to the same problem. i don't think its the timing because she ran well initially after the work was done on the car. i have also recently noticed that the engine fan is constantly running and the engine seems to be incredibly hot for driving just up the street. all fluids have been flushed and kept at the proper levels. i initially suspected the t-stat, but the temp gage in the car is working and never indicates overheating.

from the research i have done, it may be time for a new o2 sensor from my understanding on how they work. i have noticed that my fuel economy is not what it used to be either.

does anyone know whether these issues are all related and what the problem(s) may be?

i am also curious to know whether my car is obd2 or not? i assume no from never receiving check engine light with the previous emmission issues.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
green machine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
jijiandfarmgang
AF Newbie

Re: 95 tercel dx hesitation on acceleration

Info on ObdII
http://www.autotap.com/connector.html

02 sensor could be faulty, there are ways too test it. It would make sense from switching from open loop to closed loop and running poorly.
jijiandfarmgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
uti-student
AF Newbie

possibility could be pump or clogged fuel filter. when is the lats time u changed ur fuel filter.
uti-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:46 AM   #4
hondacivicduty
AF Newbie

Hey! Hope all is well. I just bought a '96 Tercel about 4 months ago and I am having the exact same problems that you have described in your post. Did you ever resolve the issues? If so, please let me know how. Thanks so much. Take care.
hondacivicduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
97cavalier
AF Enthusiast

just do a basic tune up, plugs wires, fuel filter, oil change, cleand fuel injectors, clean throttle body out. And then see what happens.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
19steve53
AF Newbie

Anyone get any answers or fixes for that 95 Tercel hesitating junk? I have a 1995 Tercel DX that just refuses to take off from a dead stop and doesn't have near the pep it should have. Been through this engine with a fine tooth comb. New timing belt, new crank and cam sensors, new plugs, new ignitors and wires, tried 3 tps, the computer codes show no error...except the egr which has been out since 2006. Open for ideas, this was mom's car left to me,she bought it new.
19steve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
19steve53
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicduty View Post
Hey! Hope all is well. I just bought a '96 Tercel about 4 months ago and I am having the exact same problems that you have described in your post. Did you ever resolve the issues? If so, please let me know how. Thanks so much. Take care.
Ever get an answer? My 95 Tercel has decided to take a break from accelerating too.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
19steve53
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine75 View Post
hello everyone,

hopefully somebody on this forum will have some expert advice.

i have been having a few issues with my 95 tercel dx. she constantly bucks or hesitates when accelerating. gutless, no power, i can't afford to push her in tight situations for fear that she won't respond accordingly. usually no problems in the first 10 minutes and when the engine is cold. cold weather runs much better, hot weather runs terrible.

recently replaced the sparks, egr and associated emmision parts plus the fuel filter. the car ran like new for an evening, then next day back to the same problem. i don't think its the timing because she ran well initially after the work was done on the car. i have also recently noticed that the engine fan is constantly running and the engine seems to be incredibly hot for driving just up the street. all fluids have been flushed and kept at the proper levels. i initially suspected the t-stat, but the temp gage in the car is working and never indicates overheating.

from the research i have done, it may be time for a new o2 sensor from my understanding on how they work. i have noticed that my fuel economy is not what it used to be either.

does anyone know whether these issues are all related and what the problem(s) may be?

i am also curious to know whether my car is obd2 or not? i assume no from never receiving check engine light with the previous emmission issues.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ever get a solution? My 1995 Tercel DX has decided to stop taking off from a stop and has less than half the pep it really should

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel