Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AMC/Rambler/Nash/IH > Rambler
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
rambler 770
AF Newbie

1965 rambler lowering

i have a 1965 rambler 770 classic wagon and would like to lower it. Can anyone let me know any resources for info on this? Are there replacement springs? Can they be cut? Is there any alternatives? The car is great and would like to improve the stance and look by lowering, also does anyone know what the bolt pattern measurements are as i am looking for different wheels as well.

thanks in advance!
rambler 770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
rambler 770
AF Newbie

Re: 1965 rambler lowering

Anybody here know anything about these cars?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler 770
Anybody here know anything about these cars?
Yes, you're goal will not be exaclty easy unfortunately. My only suggestion at this time is there was a "readers ride" sepcial in Hotrod about 6 months back. One of the featrued cars was '68 Rambler like mine (coupe tho) and his was lowered. I don't remember there was a listed company or not?

You can search Hotrod on line for the article, or hang in there, and I'll try to locate the magazine but my kid probably snatched it up as usual.

Side note, JC Whitney sells "kits" but of course that will require some fabricting undoubtedly.
wrightz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
rambler 770
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for the reply, i will do some research in this, if i find anything i will post it,

thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

No prob,

I highly doubt that I'll be able to find to the magazine, seing that last months that I just had waiting for me to read, is now gone in 60 seconds.

I'm drwaing a blank on the setup, is yours a leaf spring rear and SLA front with the spring between the upper and lower arms?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #6
rambler 770
AF Newbie

hey thanks, the set up is how you mentioned it, i am looking at blocks on the rear and possibly the old school spring clamps for the front for now, i dont want to heat the springs and it looks like taking them out is a bit ofa nightmare without the factory tool used to retain them. I am going to give it a shot this weekend, i will send a pic and let you know next week how it turned out.

thanks for all your help.

FYI spring clamps;

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003440/c-10101
Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

I wouldn't use those clamps, nor blocks or anything else to change how a spring, especially coiled determines the ride height. Remember, we're dealing with a 41 year old car here that probably hasn't seen much road time as of late, and the ball joints are not going to react vaery nicely to a change in alignment angles and a couple of extra hundred pounds per coil when that clamp is on there.

The correct and safest way to go here is to determine where to find a leaf spring for the rear with less stacks (sometimes you can remove form the stocker), and a shorter spring for the front. I don't even like when guys say they are going to cut it. That creates the potential for damage and possible injury when the spring or related suspension fails more than removal of the spring itself, which isn't bad, no special tools required ,other than a good hunk of chain to keep that bad boy at bay.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
rambler 770
AF Newbie

It's funny you mention those spring clamps, i have never used them either. i have cut the springs on cars alot and as long as you dont go over 1 1/2 coils its fine, i know i can get new leafs from EATON springs but finding proper lowering coils for the front is the challenge. The car is driven daily and only has 58,000 miles on it. It was a really good score, i have owen many 60's cars and this one is the cleanest, most complete low mile car i ever bought. I thought that i might lower it and throw some american racing salf flat specials on it to make it a bit more appealing in the looks department. I am selling my pontiac if anyone is interested, although i am in Vancouver Canada.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/228224172.html

Does anyone know off hand the bolt pattern for the 65 rambler 770 wagon?

thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
wrightz28
is bring'n sexy back

Well, if you're familiar with and comfortable with cutting the springs, albeit not my preffered method, but you seem to be okay

I'm not sure of the pattern tho, I wan't to say mine is 4.25"
Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
surfdog34
AF Newbie

hello rambler fans I just picked up my first rambler 1965 770 classic seems like I got my hands full here, I here a sound towards the rear end gonna check it out this weekend . but if i need to replace it does any one know where i can pick one up ? or will one from another car work? thanks could use all the help i can
surfdog34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
m_schroeder
AF Newbie

I could not help but smile about your upcoming investigation about a noise in the rear end. You have no dobt discovered a Rambler secret by now. I was given a 65 rambler as my first car and discovered the "torque tube" looking for a similar noise. I will never forget the nightmares that created for me (but taught me more about working on cars than my GM and Ford friends). Never had a high performer, but learned that there is always another way to make or do something different.
m_schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AMC/Rambler/Nash/IH > Rambler