Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
thinmints
AF Regular

Jeep Cuts out while A/C is on

My 96 xj 4.0 Auto with 328k on it recently started to cut out while accelerating with the A/C on, I can mash the gas but it doesn't always help. It doesn't last long, its more annoying than anything. Also i noticed that when im doing about 70 the jeep will start to Buck I'm not sure if its related to the Cutting out with load on the motor or not. I was having the oil changed at the dealership and talked with them about it, they couldn't get to it until the 5 of July so im hoping i can find an online solution... thoughts? ideas? thanks

FYI i put a new Cat and muffler on it a few weeks ago i also replaced the 02 sensor on the cat side
thinmints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Jeep Cuts out while A/C is on

When was the gas filter changed?
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
thinmints
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
When was the gas filter changed?
Yeah replaced all of that, going to replace the front 02 sensor as well to see if that helps
Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
peter123wallace
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinmints View Post
Yeah replaced all of that, going to replace the front 02 sensor as well to see if that helps
Yeah, do that and come back to us for feedback.
peter123wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
thinmints
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123wallace View Post
Yeah, do that and come back to us for feedback.
Ok so i found out ( the hard way) what the issue was with my rig. It appears that the CPS that i replaced about a year ago was going bad. The random bucking that was happening should have been my first clue. I was driving back from Dallas and had been experiencing the issue thru out the drive, the jeep would just start bucking every so often and i was just hoping to make it back home. Well i was about 40 miles outside of OKC on the Interstate when just like that, my jeep shut completely down. I made it to the side of the road and tried to start the jeep and it would not start. I checked under the hood and looked at all my fuses ..... nothing looked out of place. Fortunately i had my Scan tool in the jeep and i hooked it up and i got my answer, Bad Comm with Crank sensor. Here i was 350 miles from home and sitting on the side of the interstate. I sat for a few minutes pondering what my next move was, as i was sitting there an Oklahoma State police pulled up behind me. he asked what was wrong and i told him the issue. he laughed and asked me if i bought my CPS from the local parts store. i said yeah cuz it as way cheaper than the dealer. He responded with " you get what you pay for" He is a fellow XJ owner and knows all to well the pains the XJ can cause its owners. He knew a guy at the dealership who could help me out with the CPS. He drove me Back to OKC to the dealership so that i could get my Rig up and running again. We each had our share of Stories with our XJ's, ( he has a 98 XJ) Bought the CPS and we made it back to my rig. Took me about 20 minutes to replace it and just like that she fired right up. I couldn't have been more thankful to Jason for going above and beyond to help me out. Lesson in all of this ??? DON"T BUY CHEAP Electrical Parts for your rig and if you do, buy more than one

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee