Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
BillNeugent
AF Newbie

Is the wiring harness the same for all the 73 -87 pickups

I have a 1985 Chevrolet Silverado. The problem is I need to change the Wiper/Washer switch. The VIN number says its a 85 model, but I have an 83 grill and dash bezel. The dash bezel has the Wiper/Washer switch on it, but an 85 model is sup post to have it on the column, on the blinker switch, at least what I'm told. I would like to put the truck back to original standards, but I don't know if the wiring was changed when the dash was changed. It has a GMC dash on it. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there was 1 harness that went for all the trucks or if each trucks harness is unique. Thanks and any suggestions is appreciated.
BillNeugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
bigj-dog
AF Regular

Re: Is the wiring harness the same for all the 73 -87 pickups

I think the plug-ins for the wiper switch are different for those two applications. I've got a few of these trucks and I'll check when I get home and let you know.
bigj-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
jveik
AF Enthusiast

yeah im restoring a 73 and i had a difficult time with the wiper motor switch. i bought an all new painless wiring harness made specifically for the 73-87 chevy truck and the wiper motor switch had i think 3 different ways it was made, there was the one for just 73, then from 74 to about 80ish and then from then on. then i guess sometime in the 80's it was put on the tree. if you are switching it over to a column thing, does your column have the wiper functions on it or did the other dude replace the column also? i wouldnt worry too much about making it period correct unless you are building an all original parts show truck. anything you buy for it aftermarket will never quite fit like the oringinal parts did. also, if the wiper column control is used, the wires may need to be modified to reach the column?
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
BillNeugent
AF Newbie

After tearing into the dash I'm starting to believe that the truck is between an 82 and 84 model. Just looking at the wiring harness it doesn't seem to have been replaced. I just have to look at the a/c control and figure out exactly what year it is. It's starting to look like someone may have changed the cab and vin number. The dash has the dual tank switch and wiring, but the truck has only one tank. It seems that the frame never had two tanks. I hate to see people hack up vechicles like this one, but what can you do just live with I guess.
BillNeugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
mbumgua
AF Regular

Every year of chevy trucks during this period had changes in the wiring from year to year. Even same model years had differences in the wiring depending on whether they were manual or automatic.
mbumgua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

My '85 GMC Wrangler has the wiper switch on the signal light lever.

Maybe your truck is a GMC? If the dash and grille and everything has all been changed, it might be questionable as to whether it's a GMC or a Chevy.

The second and thirds places in the VIN will tell you what it is. GC is Chevy and GT is GMC.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
jveik
AF Enthusiast

yeah one of the most common things people do is change out the front clip whether it is to change from square headlights to round or vise versa. i would run the vin plate number on the cab that is right below the door striker bolt. that would likely be the actual year of the truck unless someone did a complete frame off restoration and mix and matched everything together. kindof what im doing now to my 73
jveik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K