Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
HDIron
AF Newbie

2000 Silv. Slow accleration

I have a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3. I just did what I expect to be the first transmission fluid change at around 150k miles. Ever since then, the truck is slow to accelerate from a stop. If I give it more throttle it seems to shudder. Once it hits 50+ mph it seems fine.

I searched around and it seems like a quick check is the fuel filter. I will do that tonight. Anybody ever heard of this before and have a solution?
HDIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 Silv. Slow accleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIron View Post
I have a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3. I just did what I expect to be the first transmission fluid change at around 150k miles. Ever since then, the truck is slow to accelerate from a stop. If I give it more throttle it seems to shudder. Once it hits 50+ mph it seems fine.

I searched around and it seems like a quick check is the fuel filter. I will do that tonight. Anybody ever heard of this before and have a solution?
If the transmission shifts properly this is most likely the engine.

ac delco 41-110 plugs,wires must be 400 ohms approx., clean the MAF with CRC maf cleaner , clean the throttle body and IAC with throttlebody cleaner and a tooth brush. make sure the throttle plate does not stick !

the fuel filter restricted will cause a delayed start..this requires 30,ooomi replacement. I found the purolator filter is a good product and much cheaper than ac delco.. I cut these open to see how dirty they are , also oil filters..

did you use the new dexron VI tranny fluid ? I hope so ..DEXRON III IS NOT GOOD IN THIS TRANSMISSION .....GM no longer uses this here after 2006..causes damage to components !
WHAT ABOUT THE TRANNY FILTER/PAN DROP ?

what other details with this vehicle 4WD ? mileage ?

The TPS if it has a bad spot can do this. should get codes pulled if any .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
HDIron
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
If the transmission shifts properly this is most likely the engine.

ac delco 41-110 plugs,wires must be 400 ohms approx., clean the MAF with CRC maf cleaner , clean the throttle body and IAC with throttlebody cleaner and a tooth brush. make sure the throttle plate does not stick !

the fuel filter restricted will cause a delayed start..this requires 30,ooomi replacement. I found the purolator filter is a good product and much cheaper than ac delco.. I cut these open to see how dirty they are , also oil filters..

did you use the new dexron VI tranny fluid ? I hope so ..DEXRON III IS NOT GOOD IN THIS TRANSMISSION .....GM no longer uses this here after 2006..causes damage to components !
WHAT ABOUT THE TRANNY FILTER/PAN DROP ?

what other details with this vehicle 4WD ? mileage ?

The TPS if it has a bad spot can do this. should get codes pulled if any .
Thank you for your response. Dexron VI and a new filter were replaced during the ATF change. The truck has about 150,000 and is 4x4. No codes/lights besides the abs. I pulled the abs fuse out due to the activation at low speeds from dirty sensors. I know how to fix this but ignore it since this truck is used less than 1000 mi/year.

I was playing with the truck on my way home yesterday and I think you're right with the engine being the problem. I put the truck in 1st gear when I was at a light and it had no affect on the performance of the truck when I accelerated. I initially changed the ATF with the idea that the stuttering up a hill was from the transmission trying to find the right gear and I knew it was the easiest solution but it very well could have been the FI or ignition.

I'll let you know what, if anything, solves this issue.
HDIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
slo99sierra
AF Regular

Run a half bottle of Seafoam through the top end (via the brake booster hose) and the other half in the gas tank. It will get rid of the carbon build up (which could be a part of your problem)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
l1driver
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to l1driver Send a message via MSN to l1driver

I had the same issue after changing trans. fluid and filter, turns out when I put the pan back on I knocked the electrical connector off a shift solenoid. Dropped the pan again snapped the connector back on the solenoid and problem was solved.
l1driver is offline   Reply With Quote