Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Kibeth
AF Newbie

2000 mercury cougar- Gas gauge, and other things

Hi guys. I have a 2000 mercury cougar, v6, and it's automatic (Not stick! I have D N R 2 1, lol).

I'm extremely unknowing when it comes to cars, hopefully I can learn some things from this forum. I like forum atmospheres better.

The problems I am having:

1. The gas gauge is not working properly. Today for instance, it told me I had more than a quarter of a tank of gas. Apparently not. I ran out and pulled into a gas station luckily. It would still start, but the steering wheel was locked/stiff/hard to steer and the gas pedal wasn't working.
Now, I know the gas gauge is weird, and I normally don't let it get past a quarter of tank..which is why I thought I was good.

2. The a/c doesnt run very cold. The last time I did a charge for it was back in september/october? Should I do this more often? Less?

3. My check engine light comes off and on periodically. Normally when its a little chilly (I'm in texas, so chilly is like... 65/70 ish?) and then the temperature gauge is all the way over to the "cold" side. Even when its really not cold at all.

4. My master window control doesn't roll down my passenger side window and sometimes it takes a few clicks to get my own side rolling up or down.

5. I have to manually lock all my doors. The "lock" button doesn't work.

I am taking it to a mechanic soon, but I am just curious if all these problems are normal, what are the possible causes, are any of them dire, etc.

Please give me input and advice. Thank you so much!
Kibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 mercury cougar- Gas gauge, and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibeth View Post
Hi guys. I have a 2000 mercury cougar, v6, and it's automatic (Not stick! I have D N R 2 1, lol).

I'm extremely unknowing when it comes to cars, hopefully I can learn some things from this forum. I like forum atmospheres better.

The problems I am having:

1. The gas gauge is not working properly. Today for instance, it told me I had more than a quarter of a tank of gas. Apparently not. I ran out and pulled into a gas station luckily. It would still start, but the steering wheel was locked/stiff/hard to steer and the gas pedal wasn't working.
Now, I know the gas gauge is weird, and I normally don't let it get past a quarter of tank..which is why I thought I was good.

2. The a/c doesnt run very cold. The last time I did a charge for it was back in september/october? Should I do this more often? Less?

3. My check engine light comes off and on periodically. Normally when its a little chilly (I'm in texas, so chilly is like... 65/70 ish?) and then the temperature gauge is all the way over to the "cold" side. Even when its really not cold at all.

4. My master window control doesn't roll down my passenger side window and sometimes it takes a few clicks to get my own side rolling up or down.

5. I have to manually lock all my doors. The "lock" button doesn't work.

I am taking it to a mechanic soon, but I am just curious if all these problems are normal, what are the possible causes, are any of them dire, etc.

Please give me input and advice. Thank you so much!
1- The float system on the sending unit is out of whack and more than likely will need to be replaced, as long as fuel pump works I would drive as is and stay above 1/4 to 1/2 full as it is costly to drop the tank to fix along with the sending unit being exspensive as well. ANywhere from 300 to $600 to fix.

2- Add a dye to the a/c system to determine where the leak is.

3- Go to autozone or orielys and have them read the codes and post them here and we can help. (they should read for free) Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open or temp sensor on engine is faulty or loose wire.

4&5- You could try some electrical contact cleaner from Radio shack. This cleaner could clean contact to make things work again if not the switches need to be tested for functionbility.

good luck andkeep us posted.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote