Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
JaBuBa
AF Newbie

Where can I learn auto mechanics?

Hey, im gonna be starting WMU in Kalamazoo, Michigan next semester (im movin from NY), anyway i wanna learn how to repair cars, work on them, learn the mechanics, basically stuff like how to build an engine, or tranny and stuff..... i wanna learn to work on a car myself.

And i mostly want to learn on muscle cars and customs, basically stuff that runs on carburators... of course, i'll take anything offered...

I dont want a career in auto mechanics, i just want to learn how to work on a car myself...

So, im asking if anyone in the Michigan area know where i can go to learn stuff like this, maybe an auto shop course? or anything similar...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks..
JaBuBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Re: Where can I learn auto mechanics?

you can take a college course, or any auto course for that matter. You can check out this site for specific info on stuff and if you don't find something with the search button (very useful and doesn't waste peoples time with stuff that's been discused a million times before i.e. turbo vs super, which is better) you can start your own thread. check out http://www.howstuffworks.com, great info on the basics of anything like that. and do google searches. you can check some blogs that people set up to discuss or narate what they did/are doing to they're car. the internet is great if you don't want to spend money.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Look at possibly attending one of the UTI schools. They have several "hot rod" courses including things like custom body work, race tuning, engine machining. I understand what you mean. I took the ASE tests and its all about diagnosing electrical problems on Camrys it seems.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

OCC-Rochester has a really good auto shop program if you're from the detroit area.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
sunfire_starter
AF Regular

http://stealth316.com/1-tech.htm

Nice little site with a whole lot of tech stuff. it is alot more in depth about alot of things then howstuffworks.com but you hvae to learn the basics first

The hardest thing to learn about cars is that they aren't that hard to learn.
Current Projects:
Finding the RPM Between Safety and Thrill

300-400 hp midrange '95 Honda Civic Rally Car.(Project starts in 6 months. Wish me luck . )
sunfire_starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

In my state (NY) a lot of the high schools have evening adult education courses that offer various subjects in auto mechanics and body repair. We also have what is called BOCES ( Board of Cooperative Educational Services) which during the day offers high schoolers a chance to learn a trade, and in the evening has adult ed courses, many related to automotive. Many of the BOCES in the area have courses for adults to learn a new trade during the day, similar to the evening courses, but much more thorough. You might want to check and see if any of these options are available where you plan to relocate.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
sierrap615
Master Tech Wanna-be

Re: Re: Where can I learn auto mechanics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Look at possibly attending one of the UTI schools. They have several "hot rod" courses including things like custom body work, race tuning, engine machining. I understand what you mean. I took the ASE tests and its all about diagnosing electrical problems on Camrys it seems.
I attend UTI in Glendale Heights, IL. i feel it is more for someone who is looking into a career, not just working on your own car or becaoming a DIYer. i have also taken a basic automotives class at the local collage. it was more of a learn a little bit about everything type class. i alot better for the weekend warrior mechanics.

and curtis, i'm sorry to say there is no body class at my UTI, one or two other campuses do have colision repair classes. its kinda silly in my mind. they teach us to adjust carburatiors, reprogram computers, dyno test engines and transmissions, perform electrical testing, but never once do we touch a bumper or a door panel
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical