Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Boosted1
AF Enthusiast

Question Clutch Question

I posted a while ago on how my VR4 seemed to be cutting out and stuff. I believe it's the clutch. Last night, it did it, and then shot up to 7k rpms without accelerating. It also makes a grinding/squeaking noise when driving that goes away when the clutch is depressed. So I am going to get it checked and will likely have to buy a new clutch. Here are my questions. I am wondering how much labor it should be to install a new clutch. Also, I think it would be a good time (to save costs later) to also install a lightened flywheel and a new 2nd gear synchronizer (which is gone). Let me know if these would be good ideas, because sooner or later, they will probably be done anyway. I know cars, just not how to do detailed stuff with them. Thanks in advance.

1989 5.0L Ford Mustang (MODIFIED)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/761789

Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Hotshot8792
AF Enthusiast

Re: Clutch Question

well, on labor, a shop will charge you as much as it costs to drop a transmission, cause thats basically all it takes to replace a clutch and flywheel, which will probably be around $400. Then as far as the 2nd gear synchro, i'm not sure on how much extra that would cost, but i would think about an additional $200 on top of that. And then add parts.

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL-TT Automatic - Black
3.05 L Arias Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3SX TD05 kit w/ E16G's, CX Racing FMIC, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump, + supporting mods

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Black
Intake & Boost Controller so far

2006 Sea-Doo RXP Supercharged, Updraded SC, IC + supporting mods
Hotshot8792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
G35turbo
AF Enthusiast

at dealership it cost 550 bucks for labor, mine cost me only $250 because i know this good shop and they did it for me. Just remeber who ever dose it make sure to tell them to chech the following: clutch lines, slave sylinder, and your bushing. You real need to stop driving the car. Or you will damage something. my car did that couple of times and i just dident drive it till i changed my clutch. I thought about changing my flywheel but i came to the conclusion that i dont real need one and it cost you about $500 and your stock flywheel dose not need to get changed like a clutch all they had to do is resurface you flywheel. I bought the ACT HEAVY DUTY STREET CLUTCH.

Good Luck with everything.
G35turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

young said he got his 2nd gear synchro redone for $600. But maybe that was parts and labor....
sLADe781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Boosted1
AF Enthusiast

My car was up at a Nissan dealership yesterday, and I looked underneath. The driveshaft is totally loose with a couple of clamps needing replaced. The car vibrates terribly when accelerating, and makes a metal on metal noise. They think this is the problem; not the clutch. I tend to agree. You?

1989 5.0L Ford Mustang (MODIFIED)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/761789

Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth