Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Hombre
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
69 442
AF Newbie

98 Isuzu Hombre turns over but doesn't crank

I bought this truck, owner said he was driving down the road and truck went dead and wouldn't crank. He thought it was timing belt. I bought it for 500.00 and bought a repair manual and tore it down. Found it was a timing chain and in good shape and in time. I went ahead and installed new chain and gears and tensioner. I decided to try and crank it before installing all components. It turned over for ever with me letting the starter rest, and fianlly cranked. I put everything back together and it has never cranked since. My young neighbor works at the local Isuzu big truck dealer and he has been giving me advice from the mechanics there and I have become a parts buyer. First replaced the fuel pump no help then coil packs plugs and wires no help then they said replace crank sensor, I bought the one the parts house showed but it was different. I can't find a shop local that will fool with it for any price thats not more than I could buy a running truck for. Please any advice!
69 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Traake
AF Newbie

Re: 98 Isuzu Hombre turns over but doesn't crank

If I were you I would check your alternator. I have a 90 Isuzu pickup that was having problems very similar to your vehicle. After searching numerous hours in these forums I discovered that several people were having problems like ours and, after spending hundreds of dollars on replacement parts, discovered it was the alternator the whole time. I also found out that alternators on Isuzus can cause all kinds of electrical problems if they are running to weak and will even work one minute and then not the next. Another thing, If you have the alternator tested it will sometimes test "Good" even though it isn't, due to the intermittent problem previously mentioned.

I hope this helps
Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
CANTER6
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 442
I bought this truck, owner said he was driving down the road and truck went dead and wouldn't crank. He thought it was timing belt. I bought it for 500.00 and bought a repair manual and tore it down. Found it was a timing chain and in good shape and in time. I went ahead and installed new chain and gears and tensioner. I decided to try and crank it before installing all components. It turned over for ever with me letting the starter rest, and fianlly cranked. I put everything back together and it has never cranked since. My young neighbor works at the local Isuzu big truck dealer and he has been giving me advice from the mechanics there and I have become a parts buyer. First replaced the fuel pump no help then coil packs plugs and wires no help then they said replace crank sensor, I bought the one the parts house showed but it was different. I can't find a shop local that will fool with it for any price thats not more than I could buy a running truck for. Please any advice!
have you checked for spark?
do you hear the fuel pump prime when you cycle the key to run?
have you checked the voltage on your battery
in other words.. spend alittle time sorting through the obvious things that "could" be wrong.. to help you isolate it..
shoot you could even have a peice of trash blocking the fuel flow..
new fuel filter?
CANTER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
jamesanderson1
AF Newbie

Its a nice forum which is very helpful in solving lots of problems related with the Honda accord users. Thanks for this and keep upgrading this.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Hombre