Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > Vue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Wesconson
AF Newbie

2008 Saturn Vue - ABS Brake Sensor

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue with the 3.5L. Currently the ABS, traction control, and AWD (flashing) lights are all on. Went to a dealer to see if this would be covered by the power train warranty. I was told that it is the left rear wheel speed sensor and would not be covered. They wanted to charge over $300 to replace it. Looked on the Autozone website and can get it for about $65. Does anyone have any experience replacing this or have any advice they can provide me?

Thanks
Wesconson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
saturntech
AF Regular

Re: 2008 Saturn Vue - ABS Brake Sensor

Your dealer is wrong, the whole hub asm has to be changed to replace the wheel speed senor and it is covered by powertrain, don't let them tell you its not! you also prob had to pay diag time to, make sure you go back and tell them its covered, tell them to look this labour op up e4301 they will know what it means.
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Wesconson
AF Newbie

You are correct, I did have to pay diagnose time which I don't understand either. Am I supposed to diagnose it myself before showing up and then tell them it is covered by the warranty? The price they gave me sure seems like they would be replacing the hub also. I will give them a call tonight and argue this out I guess. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Wesconson
AF Newbie

I went to Wells Manufacturing and received the attached information. They didn't seem to think it would be covered under the warranty either. Looks like you can replace the sensor by itself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement.pdf (53.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Basic = 3year/36k miles
DriveTrain/Road side = 5year/100k miles
ABS is a safety feature, and should be covered.

Contact a Saturn dealer 1st, than talk to a lemon law Attorney.
How many miles are on this car?

It might be worth going to a salvage yard to pick one up cheap!
It's just two scews and a electrical connector.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
saturntech
AF Regular

If it just the sensor I don't think that its covered, but whole asm it would be. You pay diag so the technician that looked at it gets payed in case you decide not to get it fixed there.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
saturntech
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Basic = 3year/36k miles
DriveTrain/Road side = 5year/100k miles
ABS is a safety feature, and should be covered.

Contact a Saturn dealer 1st, than talk to a lemon law Attorney.
How many miles are on this car?

It might be worth going to a salvage yard to pick one up cheap!
It's just two scews and a electrical connector.
Doesnt matter if its a safty matter, thats not how they decide how it gets covered.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
saturntech
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesconson View Post
I have a 2008 Saturn Vue with the 3.5L. Currently the ABS, traction control, and AWD (flashing) lights are all on. Went to a dealer to see if this would be covered by the power train warranty. I was told that it is the left rear wheel speed sensor and would not be covered. They wanted to charge over $300 to replace it. Looked on the Autozone website and can get it for about $65. Does anyone have any experience replacing this or have any advice they can provide me?

Thanks
Did you ever get any where?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Wesconson
AF Newbie

Yup, it actually turned out being the sensor. Ordered from Autozone and now it works great.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
aawhite1
AF Newbie

I was wondering if you had to put the part on yourself or if you had the dealership do it? It wasn't under warranty?? I had this happen today and have an appointment on Saturday to have them look at it...but wasn't sure what the cost was going to be. $300 is more than I would like to spend!! If you could let me know that'd be great.
aawhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Wesconson
AF Newbie

I did put the part on myself. It was not covered under warranty. The dealership wanted $325 to replace it. If you don't want to go through changing it yourself, it should only be about an hour charge or less at another shop. You may be able to have them install the Autozone part and save a little money that way. I had to pay the dealership to diagnose mine also. It actually took about a week and a half to get the part from Autozone. The part was about $70 at Autozone and I think around $160 at the dealership. You can follow the directions that I had previously attached. Let me know if I can be of any other help.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
bottz
AF Newbie

I have had this same problem occur every winter since I bought my 08 Vue. It started Jan 09. Had the left rear speed sensor replaced under warranty. Happened again in Jan 2010 and a third time in Jan 2011. They keep claiming corrosion on the wheel sensor. With the help of GM customer service, they decided to replace both the connector and wheel sensor replaced this time. Still not confident that it will be fixed. Warranty ends in May 2011. Pretty frustrating.
bottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
wikedsign
AF Newbie

We are having some issues with the breaks on our 2003 Vue and think it's the sensor as well. We started out having issues when pressure was applied to the break. The pedal would feel like there was air in it, then would make a noise and if you pressed it again would finally go down. We took it in to Pep Boys and they said the pads needed replaced....I knew that wasn't the problem, but my bf let them replace and a couple days later it started again. We let it go like this for a while longer and all of as sudden in quit! Now all of a sudden, it feels like the parking break is on when it's in reverse! I feel like it's a sensor because everything else works fine in gear. It's only in reverse. Since we've had the other issues my guess is it's the sensor. How difficult is it to replace by yourself?? Any other thoughts that it might be if this isn't the culprit?? Any help you can give would be appreciated! Since I'm a girl, they try to rob me everytime I go into the shop!
wikedsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
saturntech
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikedsign View Post
We are having some issues with the breaks on our 2003 Vue and think it's the sensor as well. We started out having issues when pressure was applied to the break. The pedal would feel like there was air in it, then would make a noise and if you pressed it again would finally go down. We took it in to Pep Boys and they said the pads needed replaced....I knew that wasn't the problem, but my bf let them replace and a couple days later it started again. We let it go like this for a while longer and all of as sudden in quit! Now all of a sudden, it feels like the parking break is on when it's in reverse! I feel like it's a sensor because everything else works fine in gear. It's only in reverse. Since we've had the other issues my guess is it's the sensor. How difficult is it to replace by yourself?? Any other thoughts that it might be if this isn't the culprit?? Any help you can give would be appreciated! Since I'm a girl, they try to rob me everytime I go into the shop!
Sounds like the sensor, what your feeling in the abs kicking in prematurely, you will need to bring it into a shop so they can hook it to a scan tool to determine what sensor is causing the problem, I wouldn't suggest doing the job your self.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
wikedsign
AF Newbie

That's what I'll do then to play it safe. Maybe they can tell us why the gas gage decided to quit working 6 months after we got the thing too....lol

Thanks for your help! It's greatly appreciated!
wikedsign is offline   Reply With Quote