Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mini > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
mdangerlo
AF Newbie

Want to buy a mini, safety issues though

I was driving a 2002 Toyota Avalon until it got totalled. I used it for business travel, short commutes to the office, and trips to the gym and grocery store. About once every 3 months I will take a 300 mile trip for the weekend. It had 70,000 miles on it but was in good condition imo. I figure the insurance company will send me a settlement cheque for 9000. One of the nice things about the Avalon is the trunk space, ample leg room for everyone, and girls think it's a nice car.

I'm now considering a low cost used mini cooper as the replacement. Some of the things I like are A) 35 mpg instead of 22 B) the thing can actually fit in my garage and any parking space and C) it looks like so much fun to drive. Regarding the Avalon, I can give up the trunk space, I'm a small guy, but a few things worry me.

1. I felt like it was hard to get hurt in the Avalon. Moving down to a minicooper, is that going to spell instant death if I get in another accident?

2. My toyota avalon rarely needed maintenance. I think the most problems was a dead battery. Is the minicooper well-made? If I buy a minicooper, wehther from a dealer or an individual, is it likely that a lot of stuff will break down over time? If I get a cooper with 50k miles, is it going to make it to 100k without a major problem? Does it stand a chance of making it to 150,000 miles?
mdangerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
holy mini
AF Newbie

Re: Want to buy a mini, safety issues though

Mini Coopers have multiple airbags (side curtain, driver/passenger, seat airbags etc...) The doors are steel inforced with 3 steel beams through each door... VERY SAFE VEHICLE!!!

As for maintenance... It seems to be a good car so far. I have 247 HP in mine and it has lasted me 30k so far... I see them with 78k or so on them on autotrader, so I would think they are good for 150k.
holy mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Condor
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Condor

Check out the 2007 model.
I drove a 2003 and its miles ahead.
Both were non-manual though.

The 2007 is a redesign and really shows.

The dealer will have a little government report showing
since 1991 the mini has the lowest fatality rate per
million miles driven. Airbags all around, reinforcements, etc etc.

I'm not sure what happens though if you are run over from
the rear by a monster truck.

Being a 2007 I don't have a maintanence history for you.

There is not much leg room when having 4 ppl on a trip.
current ride: 93 325IS black on black with good radio only option
Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
TammySm
AF Newbie

mini ranks highly in crash ratings by the NHTSA, they may be small but solid well-built cars. But off course small cars in general are less safe in collisions with bigger cars You cannot change the laws of physics
TammySm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mini > General Discussion